• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2022

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Absolute bullshit

I’m not against a team in western Sydney, but to say that a team in WS has zero threat to the tahs in terms of fan support is legit laughable. With rugby support as is atm even a shift of a few thousand is a heavy hit.

Let alone all the other factors at play that would negatively impact the tahs

Exactly.

How about a rich bloke who financially supports the Western Sydney Team throws money around that the Tahs can't afford and bought Bell, Harris, Perese? The Tahs would be even worse than they are now.

Alex Ross (28)
A few people seem to be judging decisions made in 2018 in relation to the circumstances of 2021. I have no love for the boffins at NSWRU, but it is not like they said no to having a second team in an Australian Super Rugby competition. They said not yet to a comp that wasn’t a comp. That is all.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
And when they signed him, everyone would be belting them about spending all their money on a backrower when they have plenty and need locks and tight head props. FFS, this year we've had a backrower plying lock because we don't have any, and with Matera and Hooper back we'd have had someone like Harris or Tizzano missing the match day 23, and Sinclair playing in the row!

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And when they signed him, everyone would be belting them about spending all their money on a backrower when they have plenty and need locks and tight head props. FFS, this year we've had a backrower plying lock because we don't have any, and with Matera and Hooper back we'd have had someone like Harris or Tizzano missing the match day 23, and Sinclair playing in the row!

I'll put a tenner down that says they don't sign a big name lock or TH before next season.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'll put a tenner down that says they don't sign a big name lock or TH before next season.

Well, that would be a big mistake, but signing Matera wouldn't fix that problem, just give them less cash to throw at the other positions.

And then one of the surplus local backrowers gets frustrated and heads off to another team, and the Waratahs 2025 thread starts off with "how could we have let Tizzano go?"

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

They don't have to be big names locks or TH. They just have to be big, strong, hard hitting players who actually know how to do their job.

They need to be able to be strong at the set piece (Strong not just capable). Hard runners and give the Tahs go forward.

Something the Tahs have lacked for years REAL bloody forwards

Reactions: TSR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With the Drua to be based in Western Sydney all this discussion about competition from another team seems tosh. It has already happened. Most are expecting the Drua to gather support in Western Sydney whether it is at the expense of the Waratahs will be seen, but I doubt very much if the Waratahs welcome it.

It is not Waratahs that I wonder about but the NSWRU. They could have licensed two teams for Super. Now they have one but pretty much the same competition as for two. In this case the competition is against NSWRU not just Waratahs.

That seems more than a little strange.

The Drua will be based in Fiji according to all reports. Also this is 2022 and the Tahs are one season away from being back at Moore Park.

In 2020 when the Western Sydney GRR team was mooted, the Waratahs were still looking at 3 more seasons largely based out of BankWest.

NSWRU wouldn't have had any ownership over that team. It would have been a competitor for players and eyeballs playing out of the same stadium at a time when the Waratahs were struggling. Why would NSWRU give their blessing for that?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Roger Davis confirmed to be resigning at the May 31 AGM according to Tom Decent.

Tony Crawford is set to replace him as chair.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The Drua will be based in Fiji according to all reports. Also this is 2022 and the Tahs are one season away from being back at Moore Park.

In 2020 when the Western Sydney GRR team was mooted, the Waratahs were still looking at 3 more seasons largely based out of BankWest.

NSWRU wouldn't have had any ownership over that team. It would have been a competitor for players and eyeballs playing out of the same stadium at a time when the Waratahs were struggling. Why would NSWRU give their blessing for that?

Exactly. Why the Hell would any organisation want to give themselves competition for fans, players or sponsors??

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Apparently our backrow is too strong and it would have been a waste.

Better to spend our money on all these non-existent test quality Australia qualified locks and tightheads.

He's a 7. Tizzano has been outstanding and we have Hooper coming back. Adding more depth to 7 isn't what we need right now. Better off saving the import slot and that money for other positions.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
And then one of the surplus local backrowers gets frustrated and heads off to another team, and the Waratahs 2025 thread starts off with "how could we have let Tizzano go?"
And yet the best pro team made exactly that decision to get Matera.

Just lucky that there are no good local backrowers in NZ?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
He's a 7. Tizzano has been outstanding and we have Hooper coming back. Adding more depth to 7 isn't what we need right now. Better off saving the import slot and that money for other positions.
Australia does have plenty there who aren't out of place at super level, particularly at 7. What is in shorter supply is genuine backrow muscle.

Matera, who might play openside in the grunt-based argie/saffer model, is really more of a blindside within an Australian soup context.

Anyway, I'm sure Paul Doorn knows what he's doing……

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Matera, who might play openside in the grunt-based argie/saffer model, is really more of a blindside within an Australian soup context.

Swinton and Hanigan are already on contract and two of our better players and both would say that their preferred position is 6.

We're already going to be playing one of them at lock for significant periods of time.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Swinton and Hanigan are already on contract and two of our better players
Did like some of what Swinton did last year, although I'm walking back on it a bit now.

Ned seems like a nice guy, so I won't prod the Tah embers there.

Tizzano, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see back in WA. Matera or no Matera.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Did like some of what Swinton did last year, although I'm walking back on it a bit now.

Ned seems like a nice guy, so I won't prod the Tah embers there.

Tizzano, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see back in WA. Matera or no Matera.

Hanigan was one of our better players in 2020 and was good for the Wallabies. He'll be good to have back. His play has come a long way.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Tizanno leave either. At this stage he's outside our matchday 23 for next year though.