• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Friday night's performance was awful. Move Western Force to Sydney (especially their coach), keep Latu, Robertson, Hanigan, Hooper, Holloway, Gordon, Foley and get rid of the rest. Folau can move to Auckland and be happy with his gf.
To me the retention of Gibson highlights the lack of real hard nose professionalism demands in oz Rugby. As if this was an nrl team with that track record and downward trend like tahs had for last 2 seasons Gibson would have been sacked a long time ago. We seem to be operating in another world where lack same professional demands of players and coaches compared to other football codes.

Start taking the brave steps and make the big decisions needed to move forward. And that would start with the removal of Gibson and a clean out at end of season including our kiwi prop Angus who has been a terrible recruit.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
We retain our coaches for the same reason we have 100 players overseas. We can't afford to match the market rate for international standard pros.

The pool of potential replacements that a super rugby team can actually afford is usually no better than the incumbent

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But also - why should we aspire to be like the NRL in their approach to coaches?

I hate the chopping and changing of coaches in other sports. It rarely ever works and just cultivates a short-term focus from teams. I like that we let our coaches develop over time a bit more.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't think we should aspire to be like NRL in any respect.
However, we don't do accountability well.
Michael Foley almost destroyed 2 franchises single handed.Graham never ever looked liked he was he was on top of his brief.
Dean's also had 9 lives.
Don't even start me on the current mens 7s set up.
I don't like coaches being sacked in round 4, but keeping on poorly performed coaches is much worse IMO.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Having said all of that, if you are going to look for a new coach, now is the time to do it.

No point waiting until July when all of the euro and Japanese teams have their coaching setups sorted for 2018.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Folau can move to Auckland and be happy with his gf.
Please **REFRAIN** from being so tersely abrupt in the decision-making process, let’s not be overly hasty here, let’s think this one through, table it for discussion, consult all involved parties, table our offers, canvass the required backers, book the airfares, find suitable accommodation, biff in a shopping stipend to Onehunga Mall for the missus, etc, etc, **FINAL WARNING**.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
We retain our coaches for the same reason we have 100 players overseas. We can't afford to match the market rate for international standard pros.

The pool of potential replacements that a super rugby team can actually afford is usually no better than the incumbent

Sadly I think you are right _ more options for decent coaches in nrl

Tonkar1962

Frank Row (1)
The ARU have put a stop on al signings players and staff so the Tahs are caught in the cross fire.. I don't thinks it the coach they were slowing imploding straight after the Super Rugby title win in 2014.. 2015 was an average yr considering they were the Super Rugby champions.. Get rid of top ups and make players earn there money.. go back to win lose payments.. hit the players were it hurts.. The ARU has caused this problem by baby sitting the club..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
But also - why should we aspire to be like the NRL in their approach to coaches?

I hate the chopping and changing of coaches in other sports. It rarely ever works and just cultivates a short-term focus from teams. I like that we let our coaches develop over time a bit more.
Gibson had his apprenticeship as assistant coach and lack of progression and indeed further deterioration in quality of tahs this season means he should go. Rugby does not tend to sack coaches mid season so can't see it happening but if he gets renewed for next year I would be concerned on lack of accountability this message creates.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How hands on is Gibson?
No excuse - just wondering about the dynamic.
I must say as a long time Tahs sufferer until recently, this team is doing no more and no less than every Tahs team has always done - that has to be more than the hapless present coach or even the present players - thats something in the turf at the SFS.

Reactions: mst

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Can we have the Tahs added to teams possibly being cut? It seems to have an amazing focusing ability on the players involved

Sort of like the NRL coach (can't remember which one, could have been Warren Ryan) who said he wished every player he coached was fighting for a new contract all the time

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Yeah, the Kiwis have the same problem. :rolleyes:

Some trivia for you. How many Kiwi Super Rugby coaches in 2017 have previous head coaching experience at Super Rugby level?

The issue maybe of our own creation and a lack of a diagnosis for our OCD.

You have all been hand picked as the best credentialed Australian coaches in the carpark. Applicants please wait here.

Capture.JPG

But I will say in Gibson's defence. I wonder how much say or influence he really has? I have yet to see Gibson's name linked with the return of Beale: that seem to have someone else at the helm. Comically the banter / chat / rhetoric on-field doesn't seem to match or reflect the coaches comments both pre and post game. As long as it good on the training paddock though, right. ;)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I want to float a problem that may force people to look past the simple answers that everyone pulls out of their back pocket when you get a performance like last Friday.

Angus Ta'avao:

Everyone knows he's shit, he's always been shit. Last season he started for the Tahs and the scrum was diabolical, worst its ever been. First start he gets this year and the whole scenario is repeated. Last year that led to the meteoric rise of Tom Robertson.

But then last year he was a significant part of the scrum at the back end of the game against the Stormers that won a memorable tight head. In the second half of last season, up till the international break, he was not shit.

Why? And if he wasn't shit then, why do people say he's shit now?

A few years ago I watched the Tahs train under Cheika. It was brutal. They were going at it 110% and it was only training. But the point was that they trained at match level intensity and as a result, when it came to matches, they were able to dominate the collisions. The pack largely played like a NZ pack. The backline was still running flat out after 80. (And spare me the Potgieter love, one man does not make a pack).

On the evidence of Friday, that is no longer happening. How a Kiwi, brought up in Canterbury, could let that happen is bewildering.

A second observation:

Will Miller, the Norths captain, just started his first game for the Rebels as an emergency replacement and was an absolute star. Four turnovers, including the match leveller. No Australian franchise picked him up, despite his play in Shute. How did we choose our backrowers and leave him out? He should have been our back-up 7 and Michael Hooper should not be playing every minute of every game. That's perplexing, and just doesn't fit the objective; that we should try to contract the best possible squad available for this year.

What the answer is I don't fully know - I'm just an armchair critic. But the answer is infinitely more complex than "sack the coach", though that probably has to happen now. The rot set in when too many players were chosen for the EOYT and didn't have a proper pre-season. They sure don't look match-hardened now and we are nine rounds into the comp.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Seems to be that the Rugby coaching set up are after the wunderkinds that have the ability to make the 1% plays that the rest can't . Trouble is (IMO) there is little value placed on physicality and reliability around the basic skills, desire, mongrel intent, etc. So we have young rockstars that may have the ability to pull off the odd miracle play whilst lacking the rest. Still reckon these rockstars need a pathway that pits them against men (ie not Under 20s) before going straight into Super Rugby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Will Miller, the Norths captain, just started his first game for the Rebels as an emergency replacement and was an absolute star. Four turnovers, including the match leveller. No Australian franchise picked him up, despite his play in Shute. How did we choose our backrowers and leave him out?

Dire political influence from the right toffs in the right school tie.

The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.