• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
yeah but me saying it is a beautiful day in Sydney today would be probable taken as a broadside at the Brumbies as well ;)
Haha im a season ticket holder for the Brumbies who lives in brissy.

Weathers good so is the cricket.. people suck though ;) jk

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Video interview from Cheika on the fox site for a while, worth a look, Folau to stay at 15, so far, he doesn't understand as a guy who never played for the Wobs, how someone could give it up

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby

He never made it to the Wallabies but what you could hear in his voice is that he had a burning desire to do so. Same desire as drove Scott Fardy to come back even though he was "too old". Different people with different lives - what's right for Mowen is not right for someone else.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For once it's because Canberra is hot and miserable rather than cold and miserable.

Canberra doesn't really get much "miserable" weather........

It's either really hot, or really cold, with nice days most of the year round.........

Melbourne on the other hand............

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He never made it to the Wallabies but what you could hear in his voice is that he had a burning desire to do so. Same desire as drove Scott Fardy to come back even though he was "too old". Different people with different lives - what's right for Mowen is not right for someone else.

All very well for Palu to set this hare running - isnt he still on an ARU top up? If his view was a seriously considered one he should hand his money for the last 3(?) years back to prove its not about the money.
Cheika played mainly in the amateur era and like most of us remains a wannabe but one who is financially secure.
Mowen will always be able to say he was wallaby captain and now he needs to recoup the investment he made to get there.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
I found that comment a broadside at the Brumbies.. but on the other side he never played for the wobs he wouldn't know what Mowen gave up..

Great mind games :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
I am struggling to see any comment from Cheika which is a broadside at the Brumbies.Can you please explain which comment?All I heard was that it must have been a good offer.
Cheika certainly comes across as a straight shooter.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I am struggling to see any comment from Cheika which is a broadside at the Brumbies.Can you please explain which comment?All I heard was that it must have been a good offer.
Cheika certainly comes across as a straight shooter.

Oh .. his having a go at Mowen for leaving and something he wouldn't have done and that it's all for money. He would never have said that about a Tah's player...

Well That's what I got from it, he questioned Mowen's character with a distant for his choice.

I think its great, straight shooter or not its a way of annoying the brumbies (or fan's (me)) with a back handed comment.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
One thing I do have to say is, the Cheika has got me excited about the Tahs being strong this year. All interstate BS aside, Australian's 3 top teams will be up towards the top 6 and the other 2 will fight hard.. No more .. you have the weak conference calls ..

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
One thing I do have to say is, the Cheika has got me excited about the Tahs being strong this year. All interstate BS aside, Australian's 3 top teams will be up towards the top 6 and the other 2 will fight hard.. No more .. you have the weak conference calls ..

The true measure of this will be how many games our teams can win against SA and NZ teams, particularly the two less-favoured sides.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
All very well for Palu to set this hare running - isnt he still on an ARU top up? If his view was a seriously considered one he should hand his money for the last 3(?) years back to prove its not about the money.
Cheika played mainly in the amateur era and like most of us remains a wannabe but one who is financially secure.
Mowen will always be able to say he was wallaby captain and now he needs to recoup the investment he made to get there.

Gee there's some Palu hate around on this site. For someone who almost won the John Eales medal on the basis of the 2013 EOYT plus the Lions games he's now expected to give his top-up back? I have stated elsewhere that the fact that the ARU topped up some poorly performed Wallabies and couldn't find it in their hearts to open the wallet for Mowen is a disgrace. It is a result of the culture of paying "peak performers" squillions - take JON for instance - and if someone doesn't have "star quality" he gets a pittance. Its the same miserable, unhealthy attitude that sees every one of the four pillars banks' CEO's on over $10M a year.

But from June 2012 to June 2013, Palu delivered in spades. Maybe if you suggested Robinson or Genia or Horwill should give back their huge bonus's because by and large they played crap this year then there might be some justification.

Pulver had a chance to fix that this year with the downturn in revenue by evening up the payments. Instead he chose to give huge top-ups to some players and none to others. He squibbed his chance and Mowen is going OS. That's not Palu's fault or Cheika's fault. Those two blokes bleed passion for the Wallabies and Rugby and have expressed surprise that Mowen has gone. But they did it respectfully and without rancour. Watch the interview again.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Gee there's some Palu hate around on this site. For someone who almost won the John Eales medal on the basis of the 2013 EOYT plus the Lions games he's now expected to give his top-up back? I have stated elsewhere that the fact that the ARU topped up some poorly performed Wallabies and couldn't find it in their hearts to open the wallet for Mowen is a disgrace. It is a result of the culture of paying "peak performers" squillions - take JON for instance - and if someone doesn't have "star quality" he gets a pittance. Its the same miserable, unhealthy attitude that sees every one of the four pillars banks' CEO's on over $10M a year.

But from June 2012 to June 2013, Palu delivered in spades. Maybe if you suggested Robinson or Genia or Horwill should give back their huge bonus's because by and large they played crap this year then there might be some justification.

Pulver had a chance to fix that this year with the downturn in revenue by evening up the payments. Instead he chose to give huge top-ups to some players and none to others. He squibbed his chance and Mowen is going OS. That's not Palu's fault or Cheika's fault. Those two blokes bleed passion for the Wallabies and Rugby and have expressed surprise that Mowen has gone. But they did it respectfully and without rancour. Watch the interview again.

Too be Honest.. Palu copes it alot.. not for what he does on the field but what we think of a guy that big strong and good should do.. Dont get me wrong his awesome player.. I just expect more then he gives so thats why I get cranky with him..

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

I watched the interview quickley and I rate Cheika it was a dig at Mowen's choice.. and he would never have said that about let's say .. Dave Dennis .. Tahs Captain..

But.. I dont care he said it.. his an opposition coach who knows the game and if he has a sniff

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Gee there's some Palu hate around on this site. For someone who almost won the John Eales medal on the basis of the 2013 EOYT plus the Lions games he's now expected to give his top-up back?

No - my point was that if he wanted to make good his comments about not comprehending how he could walk away from the captaincy he needed to hand it back.
Sitting on his top up and musing as to why someone not on a top up would walk away shows a complete absence of insight. This a bloke who once talked of going back to league to wring money out of the ARU.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Cheika had a dig at his own captain on Thursday and I was one of only a few people to see it as I don't think it was included in the Fox Sports interview.

I wonder if folks can find the quote. I didn't quote in it my piece but maybe one of the other people there did.

Bottom line is that most coaches in different sports have digs at others to get a response and in the case of their own people they want to get a positive one.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
@Lee Grant, when you chatted with Cheika, did the topics of Johnson "The Hill" Falefa, Hugh Roach and the finalisation of the EPS come up?

A snout tells me that Hugh Roach is to all intents and purposes part of the EPS but it would be nice to hear that confirmed.

The Hill is apparently still overseas dealing with some visa or passport type issues before he can come back to Sydney. While he is doing an individual S&C programme under "Skype" monitoring from the Tahs S&C staff, while he is OS, it is a poor substitute for team pre-season training, tactics and contact sessions.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Cheika had a dig at his own captain on Thursday and I was one of only a few people to see it as I don't think it was included in the Fox Sports interview.

I wonder if folks can find the quote. I didn't quote in it my piece but maybe one of the other people there did.

Bottom line is that most coaches in different sports have digs at others to get a response and in the case of their own people they want to get a positive one.
Not surprised to hear chieka has had a go at his captain, im sure there hasnt been a session in the last two years where he hasnt beratted one of the boys to see how they react. That is chiek to a T. I heard he took it on himself to run numerous run conditioning sessions pre christmas this year so he could take the boys to hell and back and see who would turn up at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.