• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Another close loss supported by "we saw some positives out there"???...the only positives were in the Chiefs/ Highlanders. The press conference should have been."that was the same Aussie conference crap from last year".sorry guys we'll try again next week.we even got the "this was a typical passionate NSW QLD DERBY!!!!!!" aaarrrrggghhhh..

If you're not looking for positives to work on for your next game after the first round, what's the point of training and playing for the rest of the season?

The Highlanders vs Chiefs game was by far the best game of the round. Most of the games were crap though. If we're picking the worst games of the round, I'd say it was the Bulls vs Stormers, Hurricanes vs Blues and Kings vs Force which were all very poor.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Watched the game twice - once at the stadium and again this morning. Its going to be another frustrating year. RObbo must start - Tilse and Slipper appeared to have a gentlemans agreement not to push - two average scrummages cancelling each other out.

Not sure how long we can stick with TPN and his poor lineout throwing - he also looks overweight. Palu didnt seem to have much go forward and I worry about Timani's lack of basic ball skills. But the real issues are in the backs. The current centres dont offer enough dynamism. I thought Falou was poor and would benefit from a stint in SS or at best coming off the bench (on the wing only).

Mitchell was also off his game.

I think your team selection is about right given the squad we have, although I would be tempted to start Ulugia.

I agree with almost everything you said, except the 'it's going to be another frustrating year' line.

The Reds looked very average in their first round, only to bounce back the next week and play well. I hope we can do the same, there were enough positives to make me think we can.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But the real issues are in the backs. The current centres dont offer enough dynamism. I thought Falou was poor and would benefit from a stint in SS or at best coming off the bench (on the wing only).

dynamism, maybe not, but they seemed to be working straighter and trying to get the ball to players in better positions through ball in hand ie team work.

Both tries were about that

It was no where near perfect but I saw potential

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure how long we can stick with TPN and his poor lineout throwing - he also looks overweight..

I think your team selection is about right given the squad we have, although I would be tempted to start Ulugia.

I thought TPN was fine. Our lineout was dramatically better once Chapman was on the field. I really don't think all the lineout woes were TPN. I think Chapman has to start and play 80 minutes (or very close too though). If Chapman can't play 80 minutes, you could start him with Douglas, then bring S Timani on for Palu at the 50 minute mark and then L Timani on for Chapman at the 65 minute mark and move Dennis to lock. Either way, one out of Douglas or Chapman need to play 80 minutes.

TPN made plenty of tackles (third most according to the stats) and had a couple of good offloads and reasonable ruck/maul involvement.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Totally wrong. Are you aware that there is a "no stripping" rule in league?

Yes. I watch plenty of league.

There's no doubt though that a lot of league tackling is trying to make contact with the ball with your shoulder so it pops out.

Whilst plenty of players do drop the ball intentionally when they feel like there are sufficient hands on the ball and they will win a penalty, they are generally strong with carrying the ball into contact because that initial contact by often multiple defenders is when there is an attempt to dislodge the ball with a strong hit.

Folau wasn't losing the ball by having it ripped out, on at least two occassions when he lost the ball it was the initial contact of the tackle that caused it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If you're not looking for positives to work on for your next game after the first round, what's the point of training and playing for the rest of the season?
I think it is a valid point, given the last 2 years the coaching staff refused to acknowledge any deficiencies, no matter what the performance.And always spun any positive out of a game and used statistics to deny the undeniable.
I am assuming that Cheika will not(edit) fall into this trap.
By all means acknowledge the positives,but don't ignore the negatives,or you will never change anything.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it is a valid point, given the last 2 years the coaching staff refused to acknowledge any deficiencies, no matter what the performance.And always spun any positive out of a game and used statistics to deny the undeniable.
I am assuming that Cheika will fall into this trap.
By all means acknowledge the positives,but don't ignore the negatives,or you will never change anything.

I don't get what isn't a fair assessment by Cheika of the match based on the quotes/paraphrasing below.

from http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...drop-their-guard/story-e6frg7o6-1226584592704

"Once we realised we were back in it we started to get a bit anxious," Cheika said. "That's normal coming out of the seasons we've come out of the last couple of years.

"There's also a reprogramming of self-belief in those situations.

"We'll work hard. We'll get it. It's just a matter of working through those situations.

"We just have to believe in ourselves when the score is close so we can go on and do the business."

Cheika identified the Waratahs' falling off tackles as the key area that hurt them, with two of the Reds' three tries stemming from missed tackles. "After watching the game again we were in good position, but fell off a few key tackles at a few key times," Cheika said. "Otherwise, we were in pretty good shape.

"We did drop a bit of ball, but we could have overcome that by just making a few more tackles that we needed to make.

"It's not just when they scored tries. There were a couple of other times where we got into good position and made the
hit and just bounced off. I don't know why.

"Maybe it was a bit of anxiety or first-game nerves. That was the key issue that cost is points."

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
There is talk coming out of Ireland that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has signed for Leinster.

Is passing the ball a skill that is valued in Leinster?

The Leinster wingers had better learn to dress for the cold if they take Two Dads on. Either that or they will need a couple of converted back rowers on the wing that are good at setting up and winning post tackle phase ball.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
None of the current contracted Wallaby players can sign with an overseas side before the end of November.

He may be talking to them but there is no way they can have already signed. There is also no way the ARU is going to release anyone from their ARU contract at this stage of the year.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)

The Leinster wingers had better learn to dress for the cold if they take Two Dads on. Either that or they will need a couple of converted back rowers on the wing that are good at setting up and winning post tackle phase ball.

He is being signed as a winger/full back I believe. Leinster will be losing Isa Nacewa to Japan and possibly Luke Fitzgerald to France and need some experience to come into their outside backs.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
I agree with almost everything you said, except the 'it's going to be another frustrating year' line.

The Reds looked very average in their first round, only to bounce back the next week and play well. I hope we can do the same, there were enough positives to make me think we can.

I like your optimism

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

disagree mate

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
None of the current contracted Wallaby players can sign with an overseas side before the end of November.

He may be talking to them but there is no way they can have already signed. There is also no way the ARU is going to release anyone from their ARU contract at this stage of the year.

He is not being released. More precisely, the rumor is that he has signed on for Leinster for the 2013/2014 season and beyond.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)

The Highlanders vs Chiefs game was by far the best game of the round. Most of the games were crap though. If we're picking the worst games of the round, I'd say it was the Bulls vs Stormers, Hurricanes vs Blues and Kings vs Force which were all very poor.
sorry I agree that we should be looking forward..but thats what preseasons are for....we are accepting excuses again...
.I'm not expecting instant miracles but after last season, the words close loss and potential will lead to empty stands and all the good work that MC has done PR wise disappearing.
It was an away game that we weren't supposed to win fair enough but
Queensland played crap and we had a chance that we needed to take.
All the talk of new brand etc and we use the old one....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
sorry I agree that we should be looking forward..but thats what preseasons are for..we are accepting excuses again.

I just don't see how 'we are accepting excuses'. I thought Cheika's comments were pretty fair in terms of his assessment of the game.

His claim that the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Harris incident should have resulted in a white card to be reviewed by the citing commissioner could be over the top, but his comments regarding the actual match were fair and balanced I thought.

It would seem that you're suggesting that unless the coach mounts someone's head on a stake outside the SFS after losing a game that was potentially winnable, they're just making excuses.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I don't get what isn't a fair assessment by Cheika of the match based on the quotes/paraphrasing below.

I have a real problem with what Chieka said about the Tahs getting anxious after their past few years' experiences. With 11 recent Wallabies in the lineup, they should have been able to handle any situation. Indeed, the question should be asked as to why they even found themselves behind in the game. Suppose it might be because they are Deans' ideas of what makes a Wallaby.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I just don't see how 'we are accepting excuses'. I thought Cheika's comments were pretty fair in terms of his assessment of the game.

His claim that the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Harris incident should have resulted in a white card to be reviewed by the citing commissioner could be over the top, but his comments regarding the actual match were fair and balanced I thought.

It would seem that you're suggesting that unless the coach mounts someone's head on a stake outside the SFS after losing a game that was potentially winnable, they're just making excuses.

Once we realised we were back in it we started to get a bit anxious," Cheika said. "That's normal coming out of the seasons we've come out of the last couple of years....ok wrong..when you are not expected to win its easier..

Cheika identified the Waratahs' falling off tackles as the key area that hurt them,....ok so not anxious...missing tackles?

After watching the game again we were in good position, but fell off a few key tackles at a few key times," Cheika said. "Otherwise, we were in pretty good shape........yup pretty good shape if you are able to come from 21 -points down every game..... key missed tackles at key moments=tries

"We did drop a bit of ball, but we could have overcome that by just making a few more tackles that we needed to make.......so we also dropped ball....caused by anxiety???

So its not the fact we dropped ball,missed tackles and bounced off collisions...its because we were anxious about finishing near last again????...come on.......

Status
Not open for further replies.