• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
More good news

Palu has yen to be a Lion tamer

ANOTHER day, another big name locked in.
The Waratahs and Australian rugby have more reason to celebrate with rampaging No.8 Wycliff Palu poised to re-sign with both outfits. We can reveal Palu has turned his back on a truckload of yen in Japan to stay at NSW on a one-year contract extension.
The details of Palu's contract with the ARU are still being finalised but the news should be officially announced shortly.
Having had his World Cup cut short last year, the big back-rower is desperate to play for the Wallabies when the massive British and Irish Lions tour kicks off in 2013.
Palu's recent return to strong form was a key factor in him staying. Troubled by knee and hamstring injuries for several seasons, the 29-year-old now feels the strongest he has in years.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That is good news though the one year deal is not optimal. But it shows one of the benefits of having a Lions tour. The Wallabies team is quite young but who knows what other Wallabies will stay for that purpose and then leave, but would have left after the 2011 RWC otherwise?

No doubt Cliffy will take the yen after that, though his long term retention is not so critical. I feel that Lopeti is his natural successor.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
So the Tahs have

Dennis
Palu
Lopeti (l)
Cutch
Alcock
Hooper
Elsom (with an option to dump him for next year)

Based on that you would have to say Jenkins I gone and Rocky will be lucky to stick around, Mumm would have to be half way out the door, his versatility is no longer needed so blooding another lock would be a far better option.

Bit of a stockpile of 7s, still think cutch should be moved on but contracts would say otherwise.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I read that article when it came out in the early hours but when I saw the photo of Kepu instead of Palu, I gave it little credence.

The Tahs have a lock too many with Sitaleki, Douglas, Vickerman, Mumm and young Peterson on their 2012 roster, but I thought that Mumm would be retained because the future of Vickers was up in the air.

But if McCutcheon has been rehired there is no room for Mumm and also to contract Lopeti, the logical successor to Palu. I didn't know that the Tahs had an option on Rocky, or had forgotten; so that is another permutation. He had better start proving that his leg is OK to justify a 2013 spot.

It's a bit strange to have 3 opensides in the roster: one wonders why the decision on Cutch wasn't delayed. But you have to take opportunities like the recruitment of Hooper when they become available; and maybe that was unlikely at the time. I hope that Jenkins can get a gig at the Rebels or the Brumbies: he's a good player.

In my eyes the most important recruitments/re-signings for the Tahs now are: Douglas, Lopeti, Carter and a reserve LHP - all assuming that the other contract news is kosher and also that Vickers will be OK for next year.

It's interesting how some matters were discovered when another Super team reported that a player from another outfit was no longer available. This indirect discovery reminds one of how astronomers detect the presence of invisible stars and planets - by looking at how the visible ones are affected.

P

Paradox

This change gives more game time for two great young players who would normally be fighting over the one spot - Colby Fainga'a and Michael Hooper. T.

I don't think Fainga'a is a genuine openside so I;m not sure they'd have been fighting it out. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
for the best

I'm a little worried about our lock stocks. Now we only have Timani and Douglas if Vickerman isn't right. I don't really rate Peterson..

Maybe Hooper can convince his mate Luke Jones home in 2014.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
McKibbin played 70+ minutes whilst our marquee signing had less than 10 mins. I have a theory, which may be well off the mark. McKibbin's contract finishes this season whilst Pretorious has signed for 2 (I thinks that's correct). Give Brendan a lot of game time so he resigns, then easy Sarel back into the starting line up.

Giving Sarel less than 10 mins was bizarre.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I'm calling it now that NSW need to get a new back line coach. Something is inherently wrong with the structure. As I mentioned in the game thread the first try showed the backs are capable if cummincating, supporting and running angles. Problem is we only ever see it a couple of times a day. I'm nit sure what gaffney is doing but if he is working towards something can we please see it soon or move on already.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I reckon that McKibbin's goal kicking (now 89%) is a factor as to why he is starting.
good point. Combined with Topo's comment the in the game (Tahs vs. Rebels) thread about Sarel being the only back left on the bench when Hangers went on, you can see why M. Foley made the substitutions when he did. You can scratch my 1am conspiracy theory :)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm calling it now that NSW need to get a new back line coach. Something is inherently wrong with the structure. As I mentioned in the game thread the first try showed the backs are capable if cummincating, supporting and running angles. Problem is we only ever see it a couple of times a day. I'm nit sure what gaffney is doing but if he is working towards something can we please see it soon or move on already.

I think backline coaches are obsolete nowadays. Attacking is a 15 man exercise, and the ability of the back-line to score point is directly related to the positioning and dominance of the forwards.

But I agree with you, something is defiantly wrong with the tahs attack.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I think backline coaches are obsolete nowadays. Attacking is a 15 man exercise, and the ability of the back-line to score point is directly related to the positioning and dominance of the forwards.

But I agree with you, something is defiantly wrong with the tahs attack.

Agreed, but thee Tahs forwards consistently give the backs good ball. Once the forwards do this it's there job to back up and secure the ball if the play get cut down. It's just alot easy t do if the backs get over the damn advantage line every now and again.

we have Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tom Carter and Kingston who are all great gap runners as well as strong in contact. Out if them Tom is the only one I can think of and only cos he gets the ball one out from the ruck who hits the ball at any pace. The thing that sums up how flat and slow the back line is for me is every time a player gets the ball two or three wide of the ruck they are flat footed, they stop, do a little dance in the spot then try to accelerate through a set defensive line. It works 1/10000000000000000 times yet we keep on trying.

If barnes isn't going to threaten the line, which when he does I believe he becomes about 5 times the player he normally is, then drop him t fullback and give foley free reign at 5/8.

If the problem us players we should be recruiting a ten to take over next year.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Agreed, but thee Tahs forwards consistently give the backs good ball. Once the forwards do this it's there job to back up and secure the ball if the play get cut down. It's just alot easy t do if the backs get over the damn advantage line every now and again.

we have Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tom Carter and Kingston who are all great gap runners as well as strong in contact. Out if them Tom is the only one I can think of and only cos he gets the ball one out from the ruck who hits the ball at any pace. The thing that sums up how flat and slow the back line is for me is every time a player gets the ball two or three wide of the ruck they are flat footed, they stop, do a little dance in the spot then try to accelerate through a set defensive line. It works 1/10000000000000000 times yet we keep on trying.

If barnes isn't going to threaten the line, which when he does I believe he becomes about 5 times the player he normally is, then drop him t fullback and give foley free reign at 5/8.

If the problem us players we should be recruiting a ten to take over next year.

They are a dominant pack but the connectedness with the backline isn't there. Little things like throwing to the back of the line-out to ensure to give the 5/8 an extra second with the ball in hand to make his decision.

Also the fact that there are many good ball carriers like Palu, both Timani's and Mumm - who are under utilised in attacking plays. Alcock has all the skills to play a similar linking game to beau robinson when he is first receiver and then throw the pass to the 5/8 on the fly, but the tahs never do stuff like this.

R

ruggingrunby

I agree, we should be looking to recruit a new 10 for next year, preferably one whose first option is run not kick. Foley is going too well at fullback to move him to 10. Shift Barnes out one spot to 12 (sorry Horne you move to the bench).

How is it the Kiwis can keep finding gun 10s to fill gaps, an Aus team loses its 10 and the team loses direction. The Crusaders lose their 10 and they have a nobody in Taylor to step in and carve it up.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I believe the tahs have been looking to recruit a new 10. The article on Lilo re-signing with the brumbies said he had knocked back an offer from the tahs.

But the options in australia are limited to Cooper, lucas, lane, to'omua and harris maybe. But the force and Rebels also need new fly halves so who ever the tahs go after they will be in a bidding war with 3 or more other teams.

It all comes back to the failure to re-sign beale, which was a colossal fuck up by the waratahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.