• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
For some reason he will be a good fit at Exeter...I have been watching the team since just before they got promoted to the top tier in England two years ago, and now is lying fourth and have just qualified for the Heineken Cup, so Mumm could have done a lot worse than that.

Coaches like his workrate far better than the fans. He has an absolutely huge engine and in English conditions he will be a good acquisition.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
For some reason he will be a good fit at Exeter...I have been watching the team since just before they got promoted to the top tier in England two years ago, and now is lying fourth and have just qualified for the Heineken Cup, so Mumm could have done a lot worse than that.

Exeter have done really well in the last 2 years to go from peoples relegation tip to a top 4 finish and a HEC spot for next year. Next year will be a real test for them with the added challenge of the HEC. This will test their entire squad over the season. Some teams rise to that challenge and competing in the HEC drives their Premiership form, while other teams find it hard to cope with both and end up finishing lower down in the premiership as a result.

It will be interesting to see how they do in their HEC pool. With it being the HEC they are bound to get one of Europe's heavy weights in their pool. But if they also get another English club then they'll feel they have a good chance and give it a right go. Either way I think they should see it as a shot to nothing and maybe they can cause some upsets.

Also they should take advantage of the HEC spot in their recruitment for next year to get some players in that might have gone elsewhere had they not qualified.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm calling it now that NSW need to get a new back line coach. Something is inherently wrong with the structure. As I mentioned in the game thread the first try showed the backs are capable if cummincating, supporting and running angles. Problem is we only ever see it a couple of times a day. I'm nit sure what gaffney is doing but if he is working towards something can we please see it soon or move on already.

Agree with you. Having suffered Gaffney as Ireland backs coach for 3 years I was glad when he left the position. His back line moves are dated and he doesn't seem to be able to freshen it up. Even with quick reliable ball the talent in the Irish backline was wasted with him there. A lot of his set moves were very predictable and due to a lack of support/decoy runners was also easy for the oposition to close down. Now and then one of his moves would come off, but one swallow does not make a summer.

I think he's too old to learn new tricks and his old ones aren't working so a new backs coach would be a good move for the Tahs. Bringing in someone with fresh ideas and who has a modern out look on attacking would really benefit the Tahs.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I believe the tahs have been looking to recruit a new 10. The article on Lilo re-signing with the brumbies said he had knocked back an offer from the tahs.

But the options in australia are limited to Cooper, lucas, lane, to'omua and harris maybe. But the force and Rebels also need new fly halves so who ever the tahs go after they will be in a bidding war with 3 or more other teams.

It all comes back to the failure to re-sign beale, which was a colossal fuck up by the waratahs.

Yep, and linking it back to WJ's post - I am more inclined to look at the players rather than Gaffney or Foley. Reality is the tahs haven't had a world class 10 since super rugby commenced and we won't win the comp until we do. Beale was the closest we got, but we got impatient and rushed him at 10. Then we lost him when he is probably getting close to being capable of putting the 10 jersey back on.

We are plaaying Barnes at 10 out of necessity given he is able to play quite a few positions in the backline. He is capable of more at 10 (as we saw in the Sharks game a few weeks ago) but his comfort zone is safety first and he doesn't move outside of it very often.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I think it comes back to this fact, The waratahs have to stop signing people after their big stints at other clubs and JUST focus on the players we develop, Sydney is the bedrock of australian rugby, why cant te waratahs focus on that strength rather than always pushing people too quickly and out of the club, and then bringing them back to the club after heir hey day (lookng at you AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), nd even barnes was rattled too much after moving). I think Bernard Foley and Tom Kingston are very good development players (and ex aloysians) who are part of what could be a great strategy for waratahs rugby.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm calling it now that NSW need to get a new back line coach. Something is inherently wrong with the structure. As I mentioned in the game thread the first try showed the backs are capable if cummincating, supporting and running angles. Problem is we only ever see it a couple of times a day. I'm nit sure what gaffney is doing but if he is working towards something can we please see it soon or move on already.

The backline is playing no different to what it has been sine '99. Go back and look at the actual performances. The skills execution is the key, the actual moves and set of the Tahs is good. It is the invariably poor execution that is the problem and that is no different this year to last or the year before that. The easiest place to see it is in the kicking. Contrary to the foolish commentators we are subjected to there is not too much kicking from the Tahs. There is too much POOR kicking and poor options from them. If the kicking was better quality we would laud them for the game plan. Another easy area to see the poor execution is simply in the depth of attack. The Tahs invariably pass the ball 5 metres from the gain line or the point of contact, it often appears they pass just for the sake of it as the receiver is rarely in a better position than the passer as nothing has been done to commit the defence because the play take place well behind the gain line. Indeed even against a poor defensive team like the Rebels this was the case. Also with this look at the lack of runners giving options to the ball carrier. They seem to be moving in lock step with some preconceived plan (like Eddies play by the number game plans of 2002-2004). There is no dynamism to their play as each player goes about their ordained business and is in the correct places as determined. Contrast to the Crusaders or move with fluidity and change the point of attack on multiple occassions in the same movement and all the players move not only with purpose but with real dynamism.

These are the points I tried to make in my essay last year that caused so much angst. All I asked then is why not matter who occupies the coaches chair or the players jersies we see the same play. Sacking Gaffney or Scott Bowen or Foley himself will not make any change.

IMO, as I said last year there needs to be a clean out from the top down and a rebuild in the same way. Some officials may well be the best available like Foley, but I would argue that the structure is inherently sick to achieve the same results time and time again no matter who the staff are. The issues raised in the Fan Forum last year are still there IMO and until they are really addressed no meaningful change will be made.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I can believe I'm suggesting this as I'm not a fan of his in his stint in our fine country so far, but I believe the long term solution to the Tahs problems might be in new head coach Robbie deans come 2014.

Feel free to lynch me.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I can believe I'm suggesting this as I'm not a fan of his in his stint in our fine country so far, but I believe the long term solution to the Tahs problems might be in new head coach Robbie deans come 2014.

Feel free to lynch me.

WJ, have Bruce's earlier compliments gone to your head and you now feel free to explore the wildest imaginable scenarios? ;-)

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
WJ, have Bruce's earlier compliments gone to your head and you now feel free to explore the wildest imaginable scenarios? ;-)

Why us it wild?
I'm not a deans fan at national level, but he showed at the crusaders an ability to identify and develop talent witch is something people knock on NSw for. He has a winning mentality at super rugby level (ignoring international) and is off contract next year, he has been living in Sydney. As far as scenarios go, not really wild at all.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

Feel free to lynch me.
Not as far fetched an idea as it might seem at first look. While he has an ordinary record as Wallaby coach, you can't deny he has an outstanding provincial level record.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, ok, Jake White's self-anointed downscaling to S15 seems to be working thus far...but he did win a RWC first...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Well, ok, Jake White's self-anointed downscaling to S15 seems to be working thus far...but he did win a RWC first...

According to our south African friends Eddie jones won that nit Jake which leaves me to believe that when it comes to coaching I have no idea.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tahs lose Mumm to Exeter

April 22, 2012
ipad-art-wide-dean-mumm-2-420x0.jpg

Signature moment … Dean Mumm palms off Sharks flanker Marcel Coetzee last month. Photo: Dallas Kilponen
VETERAN Waratahs forward Dean Mumm has signed with top-tier English club Exeter and will leave the Waratahs after a decorated eight-year stint in the sky blue.
The 28-year-old is understood to have agreed to a two-year deal with the Chiefs and will leave at the end of the season. The deal was believed to have been finalised more than a week ago.
Mumm, the most capped second-rower in NSW history, was one of a number of senior Waratahs players understood to be considering their futures in light of great uncertainty over the Super Rugby salary cap.
Advertisement: Story continues below
The ARU and the Rugby Union Players Association have been locked in negotiations over the issue for months.
New Zealand-born Mumm made his debut for the Waratahs in 2004 and played his first Super Rugby match in 2007. He accumulated 33 caps for the Wallabies after getting his first call-up in 2008 but has not played at Test level since the 35-18 loss to England at Twickenham in November 2010.
Mumm has been a mainstay of the Waratahs for many seasons but has enjoyed something of a renaissance this year after a game-changing run and fend on Sharks flanker Marcel Coetzee during the 34-30 win in Sydney last month.
He earned further praise from teammate Wycliff Palu following the Waratahs' win over the Force in Perth last week. Palu said the efforts of Mumm and other forwards during tough games were an inspiration.
Mumm will join Sydney-born five-eighth Myles Dorrian and Gosford-raised former Brumbies flanker Ben White at the Chiefs. White signed with the Devon side after a stint with the Cardiff Blues.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/tahs-lose-mumm-to-exeter-20120421-1xdlf.html#ixzz1snfeWyci

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Feel free to lynch me.

Given what we have seen from the Crusaders since Deans left I question his overall responsibility for the results largely attributed to him. I mean have a look at the structure that Club has in place to ensure an unbroken production line of players so that when a top line player retires or is injured somebody invariably steps up to take their place and is mostly as good as who they replace. Eg the Franks brothers (how remarkable that they totally destroy the myth of props not maturing until their late 20s), Matt Todd, the new 10 (can't remember the name) Whitelocks, etc etc etc.

Add to this his total lack of performance with the Wallabies I question it even more.

I have been thinking for some time that perhaps the founding systems the Crusaders and Cantebury Rugby have in place ensure the developement of players and managers and even an average coach will excel. I would have hoped that Deans would have instilled this in Oz Rugby, but then consider the recalcitrance of the Tahs with their culture and you will see why no matter how hard he tried he would get no results with that aspect.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
It's chicken and he egg with everyone though isn't it.

Eddie jone inherited alot of strong teams but struggled when he needed to reinvent.

Were singing Ewens praises for 18 months of success in a very long career.

We death ride Chris hickey for delivering consistent results.

The Canterbury players loved playing for deans, I agree there structures in place are amazing or so it seems on the outside. Maybe deans sntthe answer and some office/development officers from the saders are.

Status
Not open for further replies.