• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Foley could even end up at 15, he is playing there for Uni, he is a good broken field runner and has a solid boot

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I would imagine that the Tahs are keen to sign Foley up the right way. He's an exciting prospect, if still raw, and it would be a mistake not to make the investment in a real contract.

Exciting prospects who are very raw (a perfect description for Foley) are just the sort of players you want on rookie contracts. This is especially true of prospective 10's. It takes maturity to run a team from 10 and while Foley is a decent prospect he's certainly no Beale. So I hope that what Lee thinks has been done with Peterson has also been done with Foley - first year rookie, second year full.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldn't bet against Foley being a better option than Halangahu by the end of the Super XV in 2012.

I'm amazed that St Aloysius College has produced Pat McCabe, Bernard Foley and Tom Kingston in recent years. They're normally a rubbish rugby school (I went to an even worse one).

H

high tower

Greg Peterson is out after a shoulder reco, over heard him say that he is no contact at training till Jan next year. Very doubtful to get a run next year behind Timani, Douglas, Vickerman and Mummy IMO, particularly if the Tahs get Elsom which limits any time at 6 for the above guys.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone officially know what the deal is with Timani?

Did he go to Japan or did that contract disappear when he made the Wallabies team? Or is the Japan thing only during the offseason?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
played (just a single game?) but not contracted right? Does playing one game eliminate him from a chance of a rookie contract?

I don't think that is in the public domain but I'd like to know the answer too; always have.

There's not a lot of significance in the rookie category except that (so some journos say) every Super outfit has to have so many rookies on the books every year. This means that in year 2 they have to be promoted to a full contract (unless, as in the case of Peterson, it's part of a 2 year deal already) - or be dropped from the squad.

The other side of that is that if the rookie is contracted for year 2 then a full contract guy has to be let go to make room for him. This enforces rotation in the squad and the rise of youngsters. In 2013 Peterson will, in effect, take the contract spot of a Tah player whose contract terminates at the end of 2012.

Josh Holmes told me a few years back that rookies have to do extra technical work for their position above and beyond what the others did and that they were on the base salary.

The old requirement was that Super squads had to have at least 3 and not more than 5 rookies in their squads every year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Greg Peterson is out after a shoulder reco, over heard him say that he is no contact at training till Jan next year. Very doubtful to get a run next year behind Timani, Douglas, Vickerman and Mummy IMO, particularly if the Tahs get Elsom which limits any time at 6 for the above guys.

Yeah he damaged his shoulder in the U/20 tournament and probably shouldn't have played when it was already tender, IIRR. Next year would have been a light game work load anyway, and to be around Vickerman, even at training, will be great for him. To be exposed to Vickerman's professional approach and his technical nous will be priceless for his career.

I hope that Greg doesn't put on too much weight as he looked a bit heavy when I saw him last.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think I said it last year, but if Peterson gets over his injury I think he will leap frog Douglas in the locking stakes at the Tahs sometime in 2012.

Anyway, will Vickerman still be there after 2012? Wouldn't be surprised if either Mumm or Vickerman goes after 2012, leaving the remaining 4 contracted locks into 2013.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I think that young Greg would admit that his 2nd year out of school was not as promising as his first year was - but lily could answer that better as I saw him only 3 or 4 times - for the Junior Tahs at the beginning of the year.

Early days though - he has a lot to learn. The only thing for sure is that the Tahs will be well served in the 2nd row provided injuries do not target that area in a malign way.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Vi Kerman has said a couple of times he wants to go through til the lions tour, but we will see how his body holds up I guess.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As has been said a few pages ago, here's hoping that Kane Douglas just suffered from second year syndrome last year and 2012 will be a breakout year for him.

He was so promising in 2010.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think that young Greg would admit that his 2nd year out of school was not as promising as his first year was - but lily could answer that better as I saw him only 3 or 4 times - for the Junior Tahs at the beginning of the year.

Early days though - he has a lot to learn. The only thing for sure is that the Tahs will be well served in the 2nd row provided injuries do not target that area in a malign way.

Was not impressed by him on the u20s at all, considering it was his 2nd time at the u20s he should've had a better impact. Looked very lazy imo.

He did pick up an injury during the tournament so maybe he was playing with it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I note that the top level of membership is $377 for the season. Given that we have home games against Crusaders, Bulls, Sharks and Hurricanes plus all the Aussie teams, I think that is really good.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I note that the top level of membership is $377 for the season. Given that we have home games against Crusaders, Bulls, Sharks and Hurricanes plus all the Aussie teams, I think that is really good.

I had to give mine up in 2005 when I moved to Adelaide, but unless my memory is wayward that's about what I paid then for several less games. That looks to be very good value to me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Prices have definitely come down. A few years ago it worked out at close to $70 a game for the top level membership. Now it's under $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.