• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can we just call him N.U.T.S. - no way I can type that when I've had a few.
If they chucked Foley, they are, well, nuts. Spot on , Bruce.

No, a separate scrum coach. foles is the forwards coach

and he has been there for a while.

Cyril Towers (30)
#1 Tah must have some very good inside info because the players don't know anything about this. Foley is still very much the scrum coach and is very highly regarded by all at the tahs. Can't imagine them shifting him. On the contrary, they think he gives them a competitive edge.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
#1 Tah must have some very good inside info because the players don't know anything about this. Foley is still very much the scrum coach and is very highly regarded by all at the tahs. Can't imagine them shifting him. On the contrary, they think he gives them a competitive edge.

haha!

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Tah Academy games 2011

Times and venue to be confirmed

10 Feb v Force A
19 feb v Samoa A
23 Feb v Fiji A
28 Feb v Tonga A
5 Mar v Rebels A
12 Mar v Brumbies Runners
20 Mar v Australian Barbarians
26 Mar v Brumbies Runners

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Must you remind us so early? At this stage of the season we are still in with a chance of winning the Super comp (in our minds), and you've got to come in here and start talking about reality.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Found this on youtube

Mr Dobduff. Clearly you have no sense of history. The Waratahs have been down for long periods, way deeper down than these spurious examples suggest and yet we have always risen from the ashes. There was a long period pre-Super rugby when we couldn't even beat QLD and then the 10 years of Super rugby when no matter how shit QLD were they would always get up and play great football to beat us (usually putting us out of the finals) but then 2006 finally happened. There was the booing of the Australian test team in Brisbane because the selectors had the temerity to choose an Ella in place of one of their beloved. But in the last five years the only Super team to have a chance at the finals has been the Sky Blues; we've twice made the final and one day soon we will grasp the holy grail. We are made of sterner stuff, we know we have the patience to wait for our time and it is coming soon.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Mr Dobduff. Clearly you have no sense of history. The Waratahs have been down for long periods, way deeper down than these spurious examples suggest and yet we have always risen from the ashes. There was a long period pre-Super rugby when we couldn't even beat QLD and then the 10 years of Super rugby when no matter how shit QLD were they would always get up and play great football to beat us (usually putting us out of the finals) but then 2006 finally happened. There was the booing of the Australian test team in Brisbane because the selectors had the temerity to choose an Ella in place of one of their beloved. But in the last five years the only Super team to have a chance at the finals has been the Sky Blues; we've twice made the final and one day soon we will grasp the holy grail. We are made of sterner stuff, we know we have the patience to wait for our time and it is coming soon.

Thats because you've started importing queeslanders into your side.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Hawko haha they were some funny moments from 2008 and 2009 just thought i would lighten the mood with some Sam norton knight magic and the finest drop goal by a prop ever

Who was it that had severe man love for SNK again?

Also there are no youtube videos of those dark days so thats why I put that up

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hawko haha they were some funny moments from 2008 and 2009 just thought i would lighten the mood with some Sam norton knight magic and the finest drop goal by a prop ever

Who was it that had severe man love for SNK again?

Also there are no youtube videos of those dark days so thats why I put that up

Surely a poor deluded individual. The day I heard he was leaving to curse the Cardiff Blues I almost leapt from my chair with joy. He's now evidently lurking around in Japan pillaging some poor teams ranks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Very good news for Aus rugby, a stronger Cliffy is being built

Tahs muscleman in shape

* Jon Geddes
* December 20, 2010 12:00AM

519752-cliffy-palu.jpg

Cliffy Palu

Raw power ... Cliffy Palu during the Waratahs' strongman competition. Source: The Daily Telegraph

BLOCKBUSTING back-rower Cliffy Palu has sent out a powerful message he is ready to rock 'n' roll opposition players again next season by outmuscling his teammates to win the Waratahs' annual strongman competition.

The victory was a positive sign for both the Waratahs and Wallabies after Palu had been sidelined for eight months with a serious knee injury suffered playing against the Crusaders on April 10.

"I've done a fair bit of upper body work since the injury and the knee is coming along well," Palu said.

The powerhouse No. 8 finished ahead of new Waratahs lock Pat O'Connor and promising Manly five-eighth Ben Seymour with Ryan Cross and Tatafu Polota-Nau tied in fourth place.

The fierce competition included chin-ups, bodyweight bench-presses and working on a grinding machine, similar to those used on big yachts.

Skipper Phil Waugh smashed the record for the iron cross, which involves holding two 7.5kg dumbbells straight out to the side of the body for as long as possible.

The Waratahs warhorse held on for an excruciating 95sec, seven seconds better than the previous best.

The strongman title was also a confidence boost for Palu, who will be a key man for both NSW in Super Rugby and the Wallabies' assault on next year's World Cup.

"There have been a lot of ups and downs. After a week or two out you just want to get out there. It's a good feeling to be back training with the boys," he said.

Palu said he was now only 2kg above his normal playing weight of 117kg.

And while the Waratahs now have a two-week break, he will keep training and intends going easy on the Christmas lunch.

"Hopefully in this next two weeks I'll drop another 2kg," he said.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Who was it that had severe man love for SNK again?Also there are no youtube videos of those dark days so thats why I put that up

You mean our SNKarfman?

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
That was it cyclo I knew someone had SNK man love

I doubt he would love him as much if he saw the games SNK played for Cardiff, truly awful

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
cheers fp, that is great news.

A little scary, but great.

It surprised me, usually it is the dwarves you win this stuff because of their power to weight ratio (Freier, Barnes etc) a 117kg backrower ................... faaark

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
he must have been hitting the gym pretty hard

Ezra Taylor won it for the reds last year and he is pretty meaty

This one included chin ups and body weight presses as well though, very impressive from cliffy

Would have thought someone like rob horne would win this

T

TOCC

unfortunately similar results are unlikely with his legs and core strength due to the nature of the injury

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"BLOCKBUSTING back-rower Cliffy Palu has sent out a powerful message he is ready to rock 'n' roll opposition players again next season by outmuscling his teammates to win the Waratahs' annual strongman competition.

"The victory was a positive sign for both the Waratahs and Wallabies after Palu had been sidelined for eight months with a serious knee injury suffered playing against the Crusaders on April 10.

"'I've done a fair bit of upper body work since the injury and the knee is coming along well,' Palu said.

"The powerhouse No. 8 finished ahead of new Waratahs lock Pat O'Connor and promising Manly five-eighth Ben Seymour with Ryan Cross and Tatafu Polota-Nau tied in fourth place.

"The fierce competition included chin-ups, bodyweight bench-presses and working on a grinding machine, similar to those used on big yachts.

"Skipper Phil Waugh smashed the record for the iron cross, which involves holding two 7.5kg dumbbells straight out to the side of the body for as long as possible."

Am I the only one who sees an imbalance here? A "strongman competition" for rugby players and which exercises are mentioned?

"Chin-ups, bodyweight bench-presses and working on a grinding machine" plus "holding two 7.5kg dumbbells straight out to the side of the body".

All of them upper body exercises.

Meanwhile the Crusaders' fitness trainer, Ashley Jones, has a very different view of strongman training:

"Some of my favorites for training rugby players in this style of training are:

"Fingals Finger - where you have to lift a post off the ground and then with your hands above your head walk it forward until it is vertical.

"Conan's Wheel - where you zercher lift a bar, which is connected to a load, in the crook of your elbows and proceed to walk in a circular path until you can no longer continue.

"Farmers Walk - where you pick up two implements, one in each hand, and walk till the implements fall from your hands as your grip gives out.

"Tyre Flip - position yourself in a good dead lift position and lift the edge of the tyre off the ground and continue lifting and pushing with your knee until it flips over, continue for time and/or distance.

"Chain Drag - simply grab hold of a length of anchor chain and walk backwards as you drag the chain, ours weighs 150kg, and we picked it up at a fishing fleet store shed.

"Yoke Walk - Take a squat bar out of the rack or have a yoke make specifically for the purpose and walk for as far as you can, a real challenge.

"Keg or stone or buoy or any heavy odd shaped object Lift and carry - pick the object up and take it for a walk, the more awkward the better as this will challenge your stabilizer muscles.

"Same as the above but instead of carrying for distance you press it above your head, a great use for the swiss ball as suggested by Alex is to fill a swiss ball with sand or water to the desired weight and then proceed to push this "live" weight overhead a real challenge.

"Steel Log - clean and press for reps or time, the log being quite a wide diameter makes it awkward to lift and also puts extra emphasis on lower back stabilization, which is a bonus.

"Sled Drag - use a sprint sled and load it up and proceed to walk towing this behind you, again for time and/or distance."

Each and every one of Jones's exercises has substantial lower body involvement.

The strength coach at one of these franchises talks a lot about exercise functionality. The other practises it.

T

TOCC

i remember hearing about the NSW strongest man test last year including some of those mentioned exercises Bruce, Farmers Walk at least, its possible they havent included all the exercises in the article.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
You're correct Bruce but I think you wouldn't find the strongman competition factors heavily into selection, after all Caldwell never would have got a game if it did.

It's a bit of fun to make sure the boys have been diligent in their pre-season, they get picked on their trail form not the weights they lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.