• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
What happens if (touch wood) izzy is injured. who plays 15 then? Beale probably, but Mogg would certainly be given closer consideration than he is right now

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Hahah Come on Guys it was a very left field selections. Simmions can be a tithead and thought maybe being captain would help. His older then Hooper and has nearly 50 tests.

I Forgot about Jones but could easily slot him in at 6 or Lock with Higgers dropping to the bench or out.

I wouldnt truely move Izzy, But Mogg is safe under the high ball has blistering pace a booming boot. Defence could be better but is slowly improving and his running into contact could be better, but give him half a gap his gone..

Im suprised no one said anything about Foley at 10, was move of a kick up the arse for Cooper..

If I was selecting a side tomorrow it would be the following based on form and also end of season form.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Simmons
5. Horwill (C)
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper (VC) Kicker
11. Cummins
12. To'omua
13. Kirendranisifiewrieifmceifcejrif * I spell his name differently every time
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Izzy

16. TPN
17. Jones
18. McCalman
19. Kepu
20. Sio
21. White
22. Dunno
23. Dunno

The last 2 will depend on game plan with leo, Beale, McCabe, Mogg, Goodwin, or any other back worth his piece in gold getting selected.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
maybe a bit unfair to say Moggs finished. his form has been patchy this year. He did outplay Folau in the early rounds. He's outside the squad at the moment, but i wouldn't be surprised if he became a great test player in the next few years. I've never been the biggest fan but he certainly has all the tools.

I liked his comments the other day, saying that he didnt have a preseason and his been up and down but is trying to find consistence, another solid preseasons he be fantastic.. His someone who needs the preseason for putting on some size with out losing his speed.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
i have a real concern about the size/weight of our pack this season with the likes of Douglas and Timani no longer available. We probably need a big TH lock so im not sure about putting a guy like jones or fardy at 5. Horwill probably to start and I think Skelton could be an asset this year and next year in terms of helping our scrum stay solid (which really has to be a massive focus)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hahah Come on Guys it was a very left field selections. Simmions can be a tithead and thought maybe being captain would help. His older then Hooper and has nearly 50 tests.

I Forgot about Jones but could easily slot him in at 6 or Lock with Higgers dropping to the bench or out.

I wouldnt truely move Izzy, But Mogg is safe under the high ball has blistering pace a booming boot. Defence could be better but is slowly improving and his running into contact could be better, but give him half a gap his gone..

Im suprised no one said anything about Foley at 10, was move of a kick up the arse for Cooper..

If I was selecting a side tomorrow it would be the following based on form and also end of season form.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Simmons
5. Horwill (C)
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper (VC) Kicker
11. Cummins
12. To'omua
13. Kirendranisifiewrieifmceifcejrif * I spell his name differently every time
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Izzy

16. TPN
17. Jones
18. McCalman
19. Kepu
20. Sio
21. White
22. Dunno
23. Dunno

The last 2 will depend on game plan with leo, Beale, McCabe, Mogg, Goodwin, or any other back worth his piece in gold getting selected.
So, the same team as just about everyone else? :D

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

Yeah pretty much but some guys are on his last chance because of super form basically the Reds except Slips...

Call it that they banked some credit but that's gone and it's now you get your start and you'll get yanked early if your crap

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)

think thats a safe option but skelton/jones will be there somewhere...to be honest I would put my house on Skelton being there but if you've read past posts then that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Beale will be 100% in the side somewhere...don't know where but he will be.....he has the gift...... always has always will......watch the Tahs for the rest of the season watch the Wobs and then tell me again if you want to leave him out.....he is a rare player when fit and mentally healthy and he is now ......anyone who has watched this bloke play over the years knows what I'm talking about......

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
So Not for France or the RWC .. Futo where everyone think he fits.. His been injuried and out, but Futo has made a mess of South African teams unlike any backrower Ive ever seen.. NZ players seem to deal with him better but he can win you a game..

I think if he can find some form get some games under his belt he might be a chance for the EOYT.. Even for the shock and awe to Wales and England can you imagine going into the first game with Futo and Skelton told to go gang basters for as long as they can... it might scare some teams.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
His excellent kicking game is his only real test quality attribute.
The stormers(?) (edit: Sharks) pinned him on his right side of the field. His left foot kick was negated and his attempts to run it out onto his left foot were not effective - probably because of the issues you list: Jake did a number on him, sorry to say.
If a S15 team can do that to you almost any test team will.
And if you think its cos I have a Tah as one of my icons check my other posts: I'm their biggest critic.

Ummm The Fact he out kicked the Sharks from the right hand side of the field against the sharks who have Styne the best kicker in SA.. I think says he was effective...

You forget we won that kicking battle and we won the game in wet weather..

So the number Jake did on him was what ?

Jesse did a number on Izzy earlier in the season, you know out marked him scored winning tries and out run him.. Does Mogg have izzys number, I say no.. But both times Mogg's team won Jake and Izzy lost and Canberra stadium lost a glass door :)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There is some merit to considering Mogg or Beale for a wing position, or at least a spot on the bench, with our options limited there and Folau not having the best boot.
If we start with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Cummins on the wing and Folau goes down we end up with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) moving to FB and a center(who is not great on the wing) or 5/8 to the wing.......not good.
Its all about the right balance/mix in the forwards and backs and on the bench which means the best individual player in each position will not necessarily be selected.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ummm The Fact he out kicked the Sharks from the right hand side of the field against the sharks who have Styne the best kicker in SA.. I think says he was effective.

You forget we won that kicking battle and we won the game in wet weather..

So the number Jake did on him was what ?

Jesse did a number on Izzy earlier in the season, you know out marked him scored winning tries and out run him.. Does Mogg have izzys number, I say no.. But both times Mogg's team won Jake and Izzy lost and Canberra stadium lost a glass door :)
So pick him and we'll see who is right.
Are you saying the mild mannered jake white broke something?

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There is some merit to considering Mogg or Beale for a wing position, or at least a spot on the bench, with our options limited there and Folau not having the best boot.
If we start with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Cummins on the wing and Folau goes down we end up with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) moving to FB and a center(who is not great on the wing) or 5/8 to the wing...not good.
Its all about the right balance/mix in the forwards and backs and on the bench which means the best individual player in each position will not necessarily be selected.

Good call - was wondering how long before someone suggested Mogg for the wing. I think the Moggster needs to improve his defensive game to be an early choice at full back, but on the right wing he provides a balance to the back three that we desperately need. He has the pace to flll the role of out and out finisher (which people lament we don't have), he is a great broken field runner and has a monster left boot to get us out of the right hand corner of our red zone. Mogg to wear 14 with Izzy and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the back 3. Beale on the bench.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
think thats a safe option but skelton/jones will be there somewhere.to be honest I would put my house on Skelton being there but if you've read past posts then that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
I agree for next years world cup, a year on I think they will be at another level. I like the idea of blooding one now as a starter and the other off the bench - so they'd both be in my team, just the third and the balance with the # 6 and jumpers.
And as for;
Beale will be 100% in the side somewhere.don't know where but he will be...he has the gift.. always has always will..watch the Tahs for the rest of the season watch the Wobs and then tell me again if you want to leave him out...he is a rare player when fit and mentally healthy and he is now ..anyone who has watched this bloke play over the years knows what I'm talking about..

I understand what you say, but given To'omua is incumbent 12, and also still demanding selection, then there is Lilo who plays 12, in good form and can kick, (+ McCabe). We then have Beale who wold sit 4th or 5th in the 12 pecking order and that is the only position he's played this year, and I think he's looked outa place. Yes he has a gift, but I don't think Cheika picking him at 12 has helped his selection clause.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Good call - was wondering how long before someone suggested Mogg for the wing. I think the Moggster needs to improve his defensive game to be an early choice at full back, but on the right wing he provides a balance to the back three that we desperately need. He has the pace to flll the role of out and out finisher (which people lament we don't have), he is a great broken field runner and has a monster left boot to get us out of the right hand corner of our red zone. Mogg to wear 14 with Izzy and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the back 3. Beale on the bench.

You cannot pick Mogg on the right wing FFS.
He has no right foot kick to speak of.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I surely can't be the only one that sees the potential disaster that would be Mogg marking up 1-on-1 against just about any Saffa or NZ test player, am I?

can you imagine going into the first game with Futo and Skelton told to go gang basters for as long as they can. it might scare some teams.

Maybe in the last 20 but if anyone ever saw that lineup or even thought it might happen they would just tell their pack to go gang busters on our line out which would only have 2/3 test-level jumpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.