• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree with you Braveheart about having to take risks with positions when squads are limited. Openside flanker, hell any of the forwards, is not where I would be taking that risk.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
:eek: Huh? Think you've got it wrong there big unit ;)

If Phipps is picked, its because Link is considering the value of Phipps and Foley playing halves for the Tahs the whole year. If White started then I think individually he would do a better job, particularly if To'omua and Foley played interchange first receiver (as they probably will), but its a pretty short week in Wallaby camp and maybe Link wants to see if Phipps and Foley can do the business, or if he has to shuffle things.

Better to find out in game 1 than if a series is on the line in game 3.

Mate

I was talking about Genia (being dropped) due to HIS performances and that even he is accountable

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Not to re-hash old history, but McCalman and how he was instructed to play is not what lost us the match against Ireland. It was getting dismantled at the scrum, held up in every second tackle, and kicking in general play like a pack of nine-year old numpties.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Not to re-hash old history, but McCalman and how he was instructed to play is not what lost us the match against Ireland. It was getting dismantled at the scrum, held up in every second tackle, and kicking in general play like a pack of nine-year old numpties.

The scrum as we have seen on multiple occasions is not just about selection it is about technique and focus. The Wallabies under different coaches have has differing levels of focus and results with similar personnel in the both the set pieces for these reasons.

The assertion that the selction of McCalman at 7 was responsible for the loss the Ireland on basic examination has some credibility. It is just to do with how he has instructed to play but how the pack and team as a whole played in that regard. McCalman is not a fetcher type 7. The pack played as a group with a fetcher type 7 and ran lines for that type of 7. It led to some of the hold ups in defence and other turnovers.

I have never understood why Deans made this selection and did not alter the team's structures accordingly. Along with the lack of focus and attention on the set pieces it was just a mind boggling failure of coaching.

Kicking in general play (and the tee) has been an issue in Australia since the retirement of Burke and Flatley and has not been addressed or even acknowledged formally until this year. Again from the alleged Master Coach just a failure to attend to critical details.

Really the whole 2011 RWC was just a doomed exercise right from the start and many here saw and bemoaned the unfolding disaster in terms of actual play.

It is an era best examined for the lessons it taught (attention to the core skills of the game) and then consign it to the past and move on.

something

Jim Clark (26)
1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds - 49 caps)
2. Stephen Moore (c - ACT Brumbies - 91 caps)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs - 38 caps)
4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds - 37 caps)
5. Sam Carter (ACT Brumbies - uncapped)*
6. Scott Fardy (ACT Brumbies - 10 caps)
7. Michael Hooper (vc - NSW Waratahs - 28 caps)
8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs - 49 caps)
9. Nic White (ACT Brumbies - 10 caps)
10. Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs - 4 caps)
11. Nick Cummins (Western Force - 12 cap)
12. Matt To'omua (ACT Brumbies - 10 caps)
13. Tevita Kuridrani (ACT Brumbies - 8 caps)
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (vc - NSW Waratahs - 91 caps)
15. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs - 15 caps)

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs – 46 caps)
17. Pek Cowan (Western Force - 5 caps)
18. Paddy Ryan (NSW Waratahs - 2 caps)
19. James Horwill (Queensland Reds - 48 caps)
20. Ben McCalman (Western Force - 29 caps)
21. Nick Phipps (NSW Waratahs – 14 caps)
22. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs - 39 caps)
23. Pat McCabe (ACT Brumbies - 20 caps)

T

Train Without a Station

Carter is the best player to be picked over Horwill. Jones unlucky to miss out though.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I did not expect Genia to miss the 23. Very happy with that team. The only real argument could be made againt Kepu getting a run on spot as his form has been pretty average until the last few games, which have been very good.

Great to see a team selected on a balanced view of incumbency, potential and real form.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Jones and Horne could consider themselves unlucky. I'm all for seeing how Carter and Jones handle the higher level, one could presume Link will give Luke a run later in the series.

Horne/McCabe, much of a muchness with Horne grabbing his more extensive opportunities this year. Surely Rob's going to get his chance in gold this series to see who's the better player.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Crazy that Slipper already has 49 caps at such a young age, especially being a prop where his best years are still ahead of him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep, he turns 25 the day before the test. Crazy young. He could play another 8-10 years at the top level. 10-13 tests a year...

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Jones and Horne could consider themselves unlucky. I'm all for seeing how Carter and Jones handle the higher level, one could presume Link will give Luke a run later in the series.

Horne/McCabe, much of a muchness with Horne grabbing his more extensive opportunities this year. Surely Rob's going to get his chance in gold this series to see who's the better player.

Hope so. Based upon 2014 form, I'd much prefer Horne to Cummins. Why? This year on the wing Horne has shown v Cummins:

- faster acceleration over the winger's first crucial 20ms or so

- greater agility (and, I suspect, raw strength) through/around the tackle

- much greater vision for gaps and lines that will yield progress for his fellow backs, or to just get him right to the chalk

Cummins can break tackles and has good strength, but he's both slower, is principally a straight line attacker, and IMO has less tactical vision than is needed for top Test winger.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think Horne probably gets some assistance from the guys playing inside him, who are slightly higher quality than Cummins.

As you've stated - different styles. I think they're equally good. Cummins' top speed is better I reckon, which is very important as the weekend showed.

something

Jim Clark (26)
McKenzie is gonna need to pull his head in if he wants to be around for rwc2015.... he has a worse WL ration than Deans at international level

Status
Not open for further replies.