• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Doesn't the same apply to Mario or has he played under the "new" rules in the last couple of years????

And Mario being a "good communicator" - I'll just leave that one alone

Mario wasn't parachuted into being a Wallaby scrum coach, he had many coaching gigs beforehand.

If Fat Cat proves himself as a coach 100% get him in. I have no issue with him being a long term prospect if that's what's being discussed.

I'm very keen to hear how you know he is a poor communicator if you'd care to enlighten us.

Exactly, I won't call this racial profiling, but it's in the neighborhood.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What we need to be doing is getting these former players and other aspiring coaches cutting their teeth at the lower levels first.

It would be an entirely sensible idea for Benn Robinson to spend some time as scrum coach for one of the NRC sides and then potentially get a gig at Super Rugby level.

It would be crazy in my opinion to appoint a novice coach that was a good player to a higher level as we have done in the past.

I sense that Benn Robinson could be destined to a commentary career rather than coaching though. That seems like a good option though. He's well spoken and a good character.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Mario wasn't parachuted into being a Wallaby scrum coach, he had many coaching gigs beforehand.

If Fat Cat proves himself as a coach 100% get him in. I have no issue with him being a long term prospect if that's what's being discussed.

Exactly, I won't call this racial profiling, but it's in the neighborhood.

Well he certainly had 2 coaching gigs in France before the Tahs, not as a coach but a "Coaching Observer" - whatever that means.

You are the yob who brought up the racial card !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, despite an obvious improvement in the Wallaby scrummaging following his appointment, and no evidence of him being a poor communicator...........

What are your motivations for this latest rant?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well he certainly had 2 coaching gigs in France before the Tahs, not as a coach but a "Coaching Observer" - whatever that means.

You are the yob who brought up the racial card !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly, he was a Forwards Coach for 2 Top 14 sides (a very competitive set piece environment) before joining the Tahs as a coach that works with coaches. That's 2-3 prestigious coaching gigs (depending on your personal interpretation).

He also captained his country on several occasions, which shows that someone must have a high opinion of his character.

If you are not racial profiling, then why are you presuming he's a weak communicator, given the fact that several teams have obviously deemed his services valuable?

And why are you backing Fat Cat? Given he has no coaching experience, nor has he expressed an interest, in coaching at any level.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
How the hell has this disappeared into a "Race" thing, no-one spoke about anybodies ability to speak any language. I speak the same language as all of my team mates ... it doesn't mean I can phrase my message clearly so that everyone can understand what am I saying!

Play the ball not the man for Pete's sake

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
How the hell has this disappeared into a "Race" thing, no-one spoke about anybodies ability to speak any language. I speak the same language as all of my team mates . it doesn't mean I can phrase my message clearly so that everyone can understand what am I saying!

Play the ball not the man for Pete's sake
Huh Mario made the Tahs scrum decent when they were crap.. got them scrumming low and straight.. he is a good communicator and the Tahs where visable worse for his lose.

I personally think sack the lot of them and bring in Dan Palmer backs and forwards coach..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Huh Mario made the Tahs scrum decent when they were crap.. got them scrumming low and straight.. he is a good communicator and the Tahs where visable worse for his lose.

I personally think sack the lot of them and bring in Dan Palmer backs and forwards coach..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What is Palmer up to these days? Coaching anywhere?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Exactly, he was a Forwards Coach for 2 Top 14 sides (a very competitive set piece environment) before joining the Tahs as a coach that works with coaches. That's 2-3 prestigious coaching gigs (depending on your personal interpretation).

He also captained his country on several occasions, which shows that someone must have a high opinion of his character.

If you are not racial profiling, then why are you presuming he's a weak communicator, given the fact that several teams have obviously deemed his services valuable?

And why are you backing Fat Cat? Given he has no coaching experience, nor has he expressed an interest, in coaching at any level.

he spent like..1 season at each of those teams. so in total he has been coaching pro rugby for about 5 seasons. Surely the Wallabies deserve a tried and proven Forwards coach with Ledesma doing what he originally did for us and did well, giving specific scrum advice. In all other aspects the forwards have regressed.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well, despite an obvious improvement in the Wallaby scrummaging following his appointment, and no evidence of him being a poor communicator.....

What are your motivations for this latest rant?

Rant, Rant you say.

Everyone is allowed an opinion.

Even I read your often ill-informed posts with a wry smile

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
absolutely ridiculous. He is doing an ordinary at best job as it his, obviously Cheika wants his yes man by his side and the ARU cbf finding anyone else and upsetting the apple cart.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ledesma did an excellent job of turning the Wallaby scrum around before the RWC with pretty much the same cattle. What has happened since?
Sio seems to be having problems on his side and we no longer have Holmes backing up. Part of our success was that the back up scrum was often better than the starters and was opposing weaker scrums, where we often dominated.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Ledesma did an excellent job of turning the Wallaby scrum around before the RWC with pretty much the same cattle. What has happened since?
Sio seems to be having problems on his side and we no longer have Holmes backing up. Part of our success was that the back up scrum was often better than the starters and was opposing weaker scrums, where we often dominated.
IMHO I believe what we are seeing with Ledesma may be the reason why after being sacked from the Top 14 no one else made him an offer; until he dropped in on his mate Cheika.

T

TOCC

That article is a little confusing, is it suggesting that Larkham will still be a Wallabies assistant coach in 2017? If so, surely thats an error, Australia can't afford to continue this practice of part time coaches.

dru

David Wilson (68)
That article is a little confusing, is it suggesting that Larkham will still be a Wallabies assistant coach in 2017? If so, surely thats an error, Australia can't afford to continue this practice of part time coaches.

That has me perplexed to. I'm guessing that Larkham's 12 month tenure is based on an expectation that a decission must be made between the two.

I'm completely with Jets, the best thing Bernie can do for Australian rugby is to focus full time pn the Brumbies and get them thumping some Kiwis. Even Link took a part in his career where he said "no, its too early". Time for Bernie to man up.

And if he doesnt, its time for Cheika to make the call. Not mid RC, but a plan must be in place.

Aussie fans are actually being quite resilient with Cheika. For now. But if he persists with assistants who are not combining with himself to create winning Wobblies, this may well change.

EDIT: I suspect that the article means that Bernie's contract with the Brumbies allows for an on going role part time at the WBs. I'd also guess this is part of the reason it took so long to announce, and why only 12 months extension.

Hopefully, if there is truth in the term "HPU ", someone is sitting Cheika down and asking the tough questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.