• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Blindside/Number 8 watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Palu will be picked if fit, as will Elsom (there is plenty of time to go before that becomes an issue), because they are the best two in their positions in the country.

M

Mick Sawyer

There are players who enjoy the favour of prominent & influential media types. Palu benefits from Greg Clarke's patronage. If you hear something often enough ...............

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Wasn't last season the wallabies best since Deans became coach?

And there may be an infinite number of reasons why that was the case. Nonetheless, we missed a big, bruising number 8 at times, and Palu has been the best of those we can muster in recent years. I for one would be very happy if someone else stands up who can fill that role, and who can stay fitter and on the field longer. And I mean this year, not someone who might be doing it in 2 or 3 like Vaea.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
And if you watched the Wallabies, you would realise they missed strong forward runners who make it past the advantage line on the majority of their carries.
I could point out that with last year the Wallabies they conceded more points than years previous with Quade at five-eight. That must mean that he was the sole cause of their terrible defense!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I've gone on the record as saying that I don't think we can win in NZ without Elsom. I don't back away from that. On that basis, it's very important that he gets some footy under his belt before running out at the RWC. I don't have a lot of hope of him playing in the 3N, but it would obviously be very advantageous if he does.

My view is currently leaning the other way. I'm not sure that we can win with Elsom having a (c) next to his name, and if he is in the team, I doubt they will drop him as captain.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And there may be an infinite number of reasons why that was the case. Nonetheless, we missed a big, bruising number 8 at times, and Palu has been the best of those we can muster in recent years. I for one would be very happy if someone else stands up who can fill that role, and who can stay fitter and on the field longer. And I mean this year, not someone who might be doing it in 2 or 3 like Vaea.

Really? Are you trying to tell me there are other possible reasons for success or lack thereof than who your number 8 is?

Who would have thought it? :)

In all seriousness, did we miss him 'very badly'? He is the best we have, but he isn't the best in the world consistently, and he certainly isn't unstoppable.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Really? Are you trying to tell me there are other possible reasons for success or lack thereof than who your number 8 is?

Who would have thought it? :)

In all seriousness, did we miss him 'very badly'? He is the best we have, but he isn't the best in the world consistently, and he certainly isn't unstoppable.

Yeah, who'd have thought, Scotty! ;)
That's my point. We didn't miss "him", per se, but that type of player, as we lacked enough strong ball carriers to get well over the advantage line, and who can get ball away from an unstable scrum well (which he does, by the way) etc...
If someone else fills that role, then good. I don't think a lightweight 8 is what we need.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And if you watched the Wallabies, you would realise they missed strong forward runners who make it past the advantage line on the majority of their carries.
I could point out that with last year the Wallabies they conceded more points than years previous with Quade at five-eight. That must mean that he was the sole cause of their terrible defense!

The biggest reason you get over the gain line is a fast recycle. There are very little players in this world that can get over the gain line consistently when the defense is set and they are flat footed. Having faster forwards, with better ability to clean out the ruck is the no 1 key to front foot ball and thus getting over the gain line. Have a look at what the Reds were doing to the Blues in the first half. The keys for them were fast recycle, having multiple forward runners, and Genia being able to put 'face' balls across to pick up the right runner. (Daly would have been one of the biggest territory gainers in tight, and he was likely the smallest forward on the field.)

Actually if you want a NSW example, have a look at what they did to the Reds in round two. Their forward running was almost unstoppable - because they dominated the breakdown. In the return clash the Reds dominated the breakdown, and the Tahs could barely make the advantage line.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
don't forget his soft hands at the back of the scrum and the ability to hold of a few under pressure when shit ball is being provided

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think Palu should definitely be in there if he's deemed fit by the appropriate medical staff and is able to train with the team for a decent amount of time. But not selecting him because he hasn't played much this year is silly - it won't be his first time on a rugby field and he'll bring things to the table that others don't.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
FP are you talking about Cliffy or Samo? Samo has some very big, very soft hands at the back of the scrum. They are so big he only needs one hand to pick up the ball and give it to Genia.

You could say a one-armed Samo is more effective than any other current Australian Number 8.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm fine with picking Palu if fit. He's proven himself in the past, he's played some good Rugby this year and provided he can see out the full 80 minutes his selection, in my opinion, is unquestionable. However, since his appointment to the Wallabies captaincy, Elsom hasn't really provided that brute power and grunt he did during his RWC2007/ Leinster days. I'm also not a fan of picking a player without a single second of S15 game time all year. Especially when you look at the form of Higginbotham/ McCalman.

I'd be interested to see Samo in the RWC Squad if Palu isn't ready for the full 80. I think Samo coming off the bench with 20-30 minutes to go could be a revelation, his mobility and power would really suit a type of 'impact player' role.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My view is currently leaning the other way. I'm not sure that we can win with Elsom having a (c) next to his name, and if he is in the team, I doubt they will drop him as captain.

To me they are two different issues. Rocky the player is nearly indispensable, IMHO. Rocky the captain, not nearly as much. But you are right, if he plays, he captains. I will say this though: on the 2010 EOYT, he was consistently one of our best and played 400 minutes of footy or near enough across 5 games. He's a warrior and he leads from the front. I don't mind that.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
To me they are two different issues. Rocky the player is nearly indispensable, IMHO. Rocky the captain, not nearly as much. But you are right, if he plays, he captains. I will say this though: on the 2010 EOYT, he was consistently one of our best and played 400 minutes of footy or near enough across 5 games. He's a warrior and he leads from the front. I don't mind that.

The captaincy should be given to somebody who improves with the (c) next to his name. All it's done for Rocky is increased pressure and hampered his naturally flaring style. Being Reds skipper really lifted Genia, who started to back himself more and set the bar high for the other 14 on the field. He's maybe a bit inexperienced for the role, but he's done it for QLD and is now one of only a dew automatic selections, so why not?

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
FP are you talking about Cliffy or Samo? Samo has some very big, very soft hands at the back of the scrum. They are so big he only needs one hand to pick up the ball and give it to Genia.

You could say a one-armed Samo is more effective than any other current Australian Number 8.

The problem is he suffers from SBW syndrome; offloading when under intense pressure that leads to turn overs.

Status
Not open for further replies.