• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Blindside/Number 8 watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I hope Horne gets his chance, I rate him, and our outside center stocks are pretty low right now. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is on the wing for some strange reason, and Digby doesn't have the passing game to play outside either. So I hope he gets a shot

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
For a World Cup Squad of 30, you'd pick:

Props x 4: Starting LHP, THP, Reserve THP and another versatile backup. In this case I'm thinking Robinson, Kepu, Slipper and Alexander.
Hooker x 3: Starting, reserve and backup. TPN and Moore pick themselves, and at this stage probably Fainga'a (In pool stages where scrum isn't as important).
Lock x 4: Starting pair, reserve and backup. Horwill, Sharpe and Simmons are IMO the obvious choices, but the ARU will probably find a spot for Vickers...
Backrow x 5: Starting 6, 7 and 8, a versatile reserve as well as backup. I'd be taking Higginbotham, Pocock, Palu with McCalman and Robinson, but Elsom will probably get Beau's spot despite his career best form for QLD.
Scrumhalfs x 2: Starting and reserve. Genia and Burgess. Pretty obvious IMO. Giteau can act as emergency 3rd choice.
Flyhalf/ Inside x 4: Starting 10/12 and reserves. Cooper, Giteau, Barnes and O'Connor are almost certainties. O'Connor will probably play winger unless injuries occur.
Outside x 2: Starting and backup. Ashley- Cooper has finally found his home in the 13 jumper, with Horne, if fit, as an understudy.
Winger x 3: 2 starters and a backup. Unless Mitchell returns, Ioane, Turner and Morahan would be my picks. O'Connor to play here in full- strength line-up.
Fullback x 2. Starter and reserve/ backup. Beale is a definite, and going on current form either McCabe or Shepherd. Deans will probably take Sheps though.

That's a versatile, stong side that could really threaten at the RWC. However, it would only take a few key injuries to knock us out of contention. Either Horwill, Sharpe or Genia to captain.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think if ur picking on form then Gerrard would be ahead of McCabe and Shepherd but we all know Deans won't pick him. No mention of Hodgson either, I think after Pocock he is the best pilferer we have. But the only worry I can see is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and his poor form this season.

S

Skippy

I think Deans will start McCalman and Higgers in the friendlies and a few 3 nations games to give them an opportunity and in Higgers case, adjust to test match rugby. Pococky will start but more time will be given to Hodgson off the bench to ensure he is prepared for the WC. Palu will be on the bench and slowly given more game time every week at 8 to get him ready also.
This way, going into the WC Deans will have all his backrowers well rested, having shared playing time and well prepared.
Come the WC, Elsom will start the pool games. If he thrives he will hold his spot through the play offs.
Higgers has a lot to learn at test level yet.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I think Mortlock fit, should be in the squad. An old head like that would be crucial in big games. He also brings some size to the centres when nneded.

I also think that Barnes, Giteau offer the exact same thing so there is no need for both of them. I would take Giteau at this stage...

Samo definitely due to his versatility in position, line-out option, physicality and experience.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Swarley, taking your lead, I would go with...

Props x 4: Robinson, Slipper, Kepu, Alexander
Hooker x 3: Polota-Nau, Moore, Fa'ingaa
Lock x 4: Sharpe, Horwill, Simmons, Pyle [Vickerman might get a spot, but he needs to play first]
Backrow x 5: Pocock, McCalman, Higginbotham, Elsom [subject to fitness], Palu [subject to fitness]. If Palu and Elsom don't come good, Hodgson and Robinson.
Scrumhalfs x 2: Genia and Phipps [would need some game time in the 3N first]
Flyhalf/ Inside x 4: Cooper, Barnes, O'Connor, Giteau
Outside x 2: Ashley-Cooper, Fa'ingaa
Winger x 3: Ioane, Turner, Gerrard
Fullback x 2: Beale, Shepherd

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Lock x 4: Sharpe, Horwill, Simmons, Pyle [Vickerman might get a spot, but he needs to play first]
Backrow x 5: Pocock, McCalman, Higginbotham, Elsom [subject to fitness], Palu [subject to fitness]. If Palu and Elsom don't come good, Hodgson and Robinson.

Excellent picks there TBH (though I am less an Elsom fan and I fear Palu is way below is historical best). But do you think RD will genuinely and ruthlessly pick on recent form this year, or might we see a repeat of the 'my instinctive favourites' of last year, eg, the Mumms, Ma'afus, Browns, etc. Not trying to reopen the whole RD debate, genuine question for you.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Despite not really digging his style I'd still take Burgess over Phipps. Can you imagine Phipps and Cooper tackling in the same backline?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Props : Robinson, Slipper, Alexander Kepu
Hooker: Tatafu, Moore, Saia Fainga'a
Locks: Horwill, Sharpe, Simmons, Pyle (very impressed with this lad, I would have him over Vickerman even if he does play a few S15 games)
Backrower: Elsom, Pocock, Palu, McCalman, Higginbotham, Hodgson
Scrumhalfs: Genia, Phipps, Burgess
Inside Backs: Cooper, O'Connor, Giteau, Barnes
Centers: Ashley-Cooper
Outside Backs: Beale, Ioane, Turner, Shepherd, Mitchell (McCabe if not fit, he is a strong player and can also cover 13).

If Deans choses to use Giteau as a 3rd choice halfback (which i highly doubt he will), drop Burgess and bring in another back, Rob Horne if he is fit.
As Reds Happy said, i really hope those favourites dont get picked, Brown is the only one playing well, but is still a long way behind the other backrowers.
But that squad is quality all over, we have 2 world class hookers and that amount of depth in the backrow whilst Genia, Cooper, O'Connor, Ioane and Beale can be some of the best attacking weapons in world rugby on their day

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Not a bad shot at it Hornet.

The changes I would make would be to bring Nathan Charles in ahead of Fa'ainga - Charles is very good in the tight and I think ahead of Fa'ainga.

Also, while Gerrard is on form at the moment, Im not convinced his playing style would suit the Wallabies. His first instinct is to kick for territory and not to run a counterattack. Although he might be worth bringing along for the wet days. I might be considering Morahan purely for is attacking prowess.

But I think the strongest XV is quite straightforward (providing fitness):

Robinson, TPN, Slipper, Horwill, Sharpe, Elsom, Pocock, Palu, Genia, Cooper, Ioane, Giteau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor), Beale

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yeah thats a good starting side, but I think O'Connor would be wasted on the wing, he is a good all round 12 (i dont know why some people think he cant tackle, he is a strong defender), needs to get his hands on the pill. Plus the style Giteau plays these days doesnt really fit that backline does it?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Excellent picks there TBH (though I am less an Elsom fan and I fear Palu is way below is historical best). But do you think RD will genuinely and ruthlessly pick on recent form this year, or might we see a repeat of the 'my instinctive favourites' of last year, eg, the Mumms, Ma'afus, Browns, etc. Not trying to reopen the whole RD debate, genuine question for you.

Good questions, all. I do think Deans will probably opt for Mumm, but probably not Ma'afu and Brown. In terms of Elsom and Palu, I would definitely take Rocky if fit, but he has to be right to go -- no room for passengers in the next 6 months. Cliffy worries me with the injuries he's had. When the Tahs were over here in Perth, I had a pretty close look at him and he looked well short of a gallop, labouring a bit even.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not a bad shot at it Hornet.

The changes I would make would be to bring Nathan Charles in ahead of Fa'ainga - Charles is very good in the tight and I think ahead of Fa'ainga.

Also, while Gerrard is on form at the moment, Im not convinced his playing style would suit the Wallabies. His first instinct is to kick for territory and not to run a counterattack. Although he might be worth bringing along for the wet days. I might be considering Morahan purely for is attacking prowess.

But I think the strongest XV is quite straightforward (providing fitness):

Robinson, TPN, Slipper, Horwill, Sharpe, Elsom, Pocock, Palu, Genia, Cooper, Ioane, Giteau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor), Beale

The starting XV (assuming full fitness) is more or less obvious now I think and I agree with your selections.

With respect to Charles, I really like his ticker and go forward. I'm not sure he's ready for test footy yet though. Definitely a Wallaby in the making, however.

Gerrard I ummed and ahhed about. I think he's quality and has a calm head and a good boot. Whether or not that fits into RD's game plan or not, I don't really know. But I think he's worth consideration.

R

Red Rooster

If culture is important then Elsom and Palu need to earn their spots by playing - If you put them straight in then it demeans the point of the Super competition and it is a very slippery cultural slope from there when performance is not the highest criteria. You cannot say that either Elsom or Palu is head and shoulders above the competition so they need to play

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
No doubt, RR. They need at least some footy at some level before getting test selection. Elsom is our best 6 though and ought to be given a chance to get himself right.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If memory serves, coaches have picked very few bolters in a World Cup year. If the guy has not featured in the previous season, he is only going to make it in the case of injury or if he is doing totally insane things, and even then coaches tend to fall back on players who have worked in the system.

That's why I think guys like Robinson and Samo are only a very slim chance.

Am I wrong?

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
In my view the fact that we are yet to see Elsom and that Palu continues to sit on the sideline is a good indication that Deans sees these guys as important parts of our WC campaign. Both seem to be given more than the usual amount of time to nurse niggling injuries.

R

Red Rooster

In my view the fact that we are yet to see Elsom and that Palu continues to sit on the sideline is a good indication that Deans sees these guys as important parts of our WC campaign. Both seem to be given more than the usual amount of time to nurse niggling injuries.

The RWC's are littered with campaign hindered by injured players (Wallabies in 95) so I reiterate there should be no soft selections or there will be a price to pay. The hamstring of Elsom's for example has been so troublesome that why would it suddenly come good - he is either foxing or its touch and go, Palu the same at least we have seen him play this year. If you have injuries in the RWC they cannot be replaced unless the injured player leaves the tournament. I hope we have some good back ups because they will be shouldering the load if the injury form line continues

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

By my count (several times) that is 29 players. I thought we were allowed a squad of 30. Who would you add?

Status
Not open for further replies.