• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Blindside/Number 8 watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think that would be the way to go. Palu and Samo haven't had amazing careers, but they are both very experienced and using them as a tag team could be extremely effective.

Nah, waste of a bench spot imo. You wouldn't want both on at the same time.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am with qwerty on this one. Can't afford to take two 50 minute players into a game. If blindside gets injured early then one of them have to play 80 and if it is a close game we could be stuffed.

I dont mind having one impact (non 80 minute forward) in the 22 but you can't afford to have 2.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
6/ Higgenbotham
8/ McCalman

Regardless of whether Rocky or Palu are fit. Face it peoples, Palu comes back from injury and then gets crocked again. It is a rather frequent trend this season alone.

While we are defying the man love, start Moore over TPN. Until he works on his technique and harnesses his aggression better, he is a liability. What good is a starting player that is likely too get knocked out early in the game. Until he works on this, he will be a better 16 than he will be 2.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My consistent backing of Rocky for the 6 jersey has been predicated on him running out for the Brumbies at least a couple of times for the Horsies this season. It's looking increasingly likely that this will not happen. On that basis I think we have to have plan B, because I don't want us taking unfit blokes into the 3N. Forget about the RWC for the moment, that's in a few months. The reality is that soon we have a test season starting and we want to win the Bled, Mandela and 3N if we can.

Working on the assumption that Elsom won't play, we need two things: a blindside and a captain. Higgers has put his hand up for the 6 jersey in recent games, so he'd have to be front runner right now. McCalman would probably be a candidate too. With that said, we still have the conundrum of 8 and I just don't think Cliffy is the man right now, in terms of fitness or form. So the most realistic case would be Higgers, Pocock and McCalman in the back. Not world class by any stretch, but probably the best we could put on the paddock at present.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Palu has played enough games this season so far to warrant selection in the squad, and if he's fit, he should be in the run on side. We need a big powerful no.8 at the WC. He's experienced, solid in defense and always gets over the advantage line.

McCallmun should definitely be in the 22. I'd actually consider him at 6 but if palu is fit the obvious place for him is on the bench.

After this weekend I have finally come around to the idea of Higgers as our no.6. He does play a similar style to elsom and he always gives 100% so i think he'd be a good fit for our team. I dont think he should be our no.8. We need a bit more size. If Palu is ruled out of the WC completely, deans might consider having Samo in the squad. He is great form and has similar size and strength to Palu, something we need.

Robinson should Pocock's backup IMO. He played like a demon on Friday night although I did notice that he only got one clean turnover.

I'm expecting Elsom to start the test season on the bench. Handy bench player. The real question is who is the new Wallaby captain. I'd go with Sharpe/Horwill, Captain/Vice-captain respectively

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Wallaby back-row depth. Hello Radike Samo

No 8
If Radike Samo can play against the Crusaders, like he did against the Blues; he should be given the Wallabies No 8 Jersey for the Wallabies. I would love to see him play in the Green and Gold like he did at the weekend, and be replaced by Palu with 30 to go. That's one awesome interchange.

No 6
Likewise, Higgers should be given the No 6 jersey over Elsom who hasnt played a minute of Super 15.

A backrow of Pocock, Higgers and Samo is phenomenal.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Palu hasn't done anything to deserve a start or a bench spot.

When thinking of picking a backrow the balance of the trio and its integration with the second row has to be considered, as well as the game plan and the conditions they will be playing in. One size does not fit all.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
So you are saying that Palu adds nothing to the Wallaby forward packs dynamic Gnostic?

Samo, and Higgers would not suit a Sharpe/Horwill lock combination?

Please elaborate on your value-less current post.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I guess we will just have to wait and see the Reds Crusaders game. If Samo has the same impact on that game against the Crusaders with (2/3rd's) AB's backrow, then you would have to give him the 8 jersey. He also adds an excellent jumping option to the line-out that Palu doesn't bring

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
To all those people who say we shouldn't be considering Elsom or Palu for the team (or even vickerman to a lesser extent), you have to face facts. Our best chance of winning the world cup will be if our best players are fit and ready to play. Elsom and Palu are both world class players when fit so I think deans will give them every opportunity to be ready come world cup time. That might mean playing these guys off the bench in the tri-nations and I think that's the right way to go. That leaves them with plenty of time to find some form prior to September. So I think maybe the best move would be to start the season with these guys on the bench and go from there.

I'd put vickerman in the same category. If he is even close to the palyer he was before he left I'd be giving him a run off the bench. I think the selectors have an important job of allowing some of these guys to be prepared come september. For some, that might mean a bit of rest (i.e. Sharpe comes to mind). For others that might mean throwing them in the deep (i.e. Elsom)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
So you are saying that Palu adds nothing to the Wallaby forward packs dynamic Gnostic?

Samo, and Higgers would not suit a Sharpe/Horwill lock combination?

Please elaborate on your value-less current post.

:nta:

I thought it would be self evident.

Palu is injured and has been for better than 12 months off and on. He has had very limitted game time and hasn't shone in the time he has had simply from lack of match fitness.

Why don't you have a think about constructing a viable backrow/locking combination group? It isn't always the standout players that make up the best dynamic group. Like I said its also horses for courses and factors such as opposition and conditions should be taken into account to a certain extent.

For instance:-
Heavy track weak lineout opposition

Horwill
Sharpe
Dennis
Pocock
Higginbum

bench:-
Samo
Pyle
McCalman

Fast track strong lineout:-

Horwill
Sharpe
Mowen
Pocock
McCalman

Bench:-
Robinson
Samo
Simmons

Assuming 5:2 split in each example. There are a myriad of possibilities but my constant is that I would not pick players who haven't had significant game time, or who have long term injuries in the squad.

T

Thomas

The game has significantly changed since they've left as well, we need to see if they are still effective now.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Matt Hodgson might be a 7, but he has played enough 6 to be considered ahead of guys like Kimlin, Mowen and Dennis.

I would take a quality backrower playing slightly out of position over a less talented backrower playing in position any day.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't think you can select individual players in isolataion. You need to pick players which provide balance as a trio, and as a group within a squad setting.

Deans will most likely pick five loosies for the RWC, and at most six. So you need to look at picking a group of five loosies that aren't just in form, but provide the balance and the various strengths that you are looking for. If I was picking Australia's RWC squad, these would be the loosies I'd choose.

Palu
McCalman
Pocock
Elsom
Robinson

This group covers most injury eventualities. You've got at least two players who can cover 6, 7 or 8 (with McCalman able to cover lock as well). You've got ball runners in Elsom and Palu. Lineout options in McCalman, Elsom and Palu. Fetching players in Pocock and Robinson. All five players are strong defenders with good engines and high workrates. As far as I'm concerned this group of five provide the best balance.

I would have loved to have picked Scott Higginbotham. And if Deans opts for six loosies, then I'm sure Higginbotham will get a run. But it was either him or Robinson in this group, and Beau Robinson provides coverage for openside flanker, which wouldn't be there if Higginbotham took his place.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Samo is way too inconsistant, and a bit too flashy for my opinion. Doing everything one handed won't work at international level.

You'd assume they'd take 6 backrowers (they usually do dont they?). Palu, McCalman, Elsom, Higginbotham, Pocock, Hodgson
Id love to pick Robinson, but Hodgson's versatility might come in handy. Plus, assuuming Pocock stays fit, Hodgson/Robinson will only get game time against the minnows

Status
Not open for further replies.