• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Doesn't have 60 caps therefore does not qualify
He has 54. But there are 9-12 test matches remain this year before he leaves. He has every chance of getting 60. Which is why I said "not necessarily" lost. Also I wasn't implying that he should continue to start or even be in the squad, But that technically our depth isn't diminished when he leaves because of the new rules (if he gets to 60).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

Fucking useless seagulls. Would never work against the Boks.

Maybe it's much more about the balance of the pack as a whole and the mismatch an athletic 8 with an offloading game can create in wider channels is a proven tactic used by multiple teams in world rugby.

The entire "fronting up" concept is just mind-numbingly out of touch with modern rugby if we're talking about throwing 8 forwards at their pack. If we do that, we've already lost the test anyway.

T

Train Without a Station

He has 54. But there are 9-12 test matches remain this year before he leaves. He has every chance of getting 60. Which is why I said "not necessarily" lost. Also I wasn't implying that he should continue to start or even be in the squad, But that technically our depth isn't diminished when he leaves because of the new rules (if he gets to 60).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was referring to Higgers I think

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
With Lopeti Timani and Vaea we cover the position after the WC. They are two very very strong players, they are stronger than Palu and Higgers ATM but they lack the international experience for a WC. It will be interesting to see his forays into the team next year.

yeah, nah

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Timani and Vaea have yet to demonstrate the full range of talents that a Test level 8 (particularly in an Australian scrum, and lineout) need.

There is a lot more to it than the ability to run into the opposition, and "bend the line".

That kind of works for the Poms, because their set pieces are really good. It won't work for us against the top teams.

Maybe they will both make the grade, maybe neither of them will.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
yeah, nah

They are younger and Palu said he was impressed by the Lopeti's strength when he was on the Tahs. Vaea is the Billy Vunipola of SH

Timani and Vaea have yet to demonstrate the full range of talents that a Test level 8 (particularly in an Australian scrum, and lineout) need.

There is a lot more to it than the ability to run into the opposition, and "bend the line".

That kind of works for the Poms, because their set pieces are really good. It won't work for us against the top teams.

Maybe they will both make the grade, maybe neither of them will.

I'm not sure if they are going to become top class players at international level in the next years but with the Exodus they should play Test rugby next year. They are next on the list. Are you going to improvise with the Junior Wallabies?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They are younger and Palu said he was impressed by the Lopeti's strength when he was on the Tahs. Vaea is the Billy Vunipola of SH

and yet they are as yet not near the quality of either Palu & Higgers (or McCalman who for some bizzarre reason is being ignored, he only misses the start of the RC), strength is a lovely attribute, but not enough on it's own

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
and yet they are as yet not near the quality of either Palu & Higgers (or McCalman who for some bizzarre reason is being ignored, he only misses the start of the RC), strength is a lovely attribute, but not enough on it's own

Off course! I said: "They are stronger" not betters. ;)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I haven't seen too much of Timani, but in Vaea's case if you look at his last few games he IS near the quality of Palu and Higgers and seems to be getting closer with each game. If only he had more time until RWC.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I haven't seen too much of Timani, but in Vaea's case if you look at his last few games he IS near the quality of Palu and Higgers and seems to be getting closer with each game. If only he had more time until RWC.

Nah, a couple games show potential, consistency earns a Wallaby Jersey, both Vaea & Timani are not there yet

T

Train Without a Station

Look at the drop in competitiveness from Aus Schoolboys to Under 20s

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
The Wallabies will not lose any matches by playing McCalman, Palu or Higgenbotham ahead of Vaea the entirety of next season.

Vaea playing 560 minutes of NRC would be better for him and the Wallabies in 2016 and beyond.

Of course, he'd still be a good option if 2 of Dennis, Fardy, McCalman, Higgenbotham, Jones and Palu get injured.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)

Fucking useless seagulls. Would never work against the Boks.

Maybe it's much more about the balance of the pack as a whole and the mismatch an athletic 8 with an offloading game can create in wider channels is a proven tactic used by multiple teams in world rugby.

The entire "fronting up" concept is just mind-numbingly out of touch with modern rugby if we're talking about throwing 8 forwards at their pack. If we do that, we've already lost the test anyway.
The All Blacks are so good at playing on the front foot, getting some momentum out of their tight pack and shifting the ball to the space, and their counter attack skills are light years ahead of other teams. This is where Read excels - I'm not sure how he'd fit in to a Wallaby team. Probably a bit like Adam Thomson, working his ring off but never quite fitting in. I think we need that Toutai Kefu type 8, big work rate in defence and some bullocking runs in the midfield. That's probably Palu, although Vaea looks the next most likely in that mould to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.