• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Parra GM

Kurtley is no longer a defensive liability. Its like saying Muliaina is crap defensively because he's been beaten one on one by Coleman and a few other Aussies. When a good, fast, stepping winger or centre is in the open and running at top speed directly at you, I reckon your chances are less than 25%. Is he as good as Marty Roebuck defensively? Probably not, but what world fullback is? Who would you select instead?

I'd still leave Beale in there. I am not convinced that he is 'no longer a defensive liability'. The critical word to my comment was TOGETHER. I just wouldn't have Cooper in the starting team at 10 come the business end with Beale at fullback. I'd have Barnes at 10.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have also noticed that JOC (James O'Connor)'s front on tackling appears to be a lot stronger this year. If that part of his game can keep developing, then he is a good chance of being 12 for the wallabies sooner rather than later.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I have also noticed that JOC (James O'Connor)'s front on tackling appears to be a lot stronger this year. If that part of his game can keep developing, then he is a good chance of being 12 for the wallabies sooner rather than later.

It really has. And Horne did a good job against the Crusaders until he went off injured.

I'm looking at them as 12 and 13 for the World Cup.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
It really has. And Horne did a good job against the Crusaders until he went off injured.

I'm looking at them as 12 and 13 for the World Cup.

I think I still like Barnes inside of Quade to start, and I'll reserve judgment on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne until the end of the season. In my mind JOC (James O'Connor)'s ability to play anywhere lends him to a bench spot, but I guess we'll see at the end of the season.

On that note, I favor picking two actual wingers on the wing. Ioane and Mitchell are my preference at the moment, but that might change to include Davies and Turner.

I note the OP included Gits. I'm not sure he's worth the bench spot in a big game. We've already got a first choice 5/8, and both Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor) can cover 10 and 12 better than he can, based on recent performances.

I'm also not sure about Mortlock, or Vickerman. If they have a monumental season then maybe, but we've got a number of younger guys who'd be better choices at the moment.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
For some reason he seemed to think that adopting Superman style tackling, flying through the air, was the appropriate way to deal with the biggest centre pairing in the competition. It wasn't.

I noticed this too. I've never felt that I'd get a better purchase on a heavy object if I wasn't in contact with the ground, but I've never been to Canterbury, and physics might be different over there.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
So have the first 3 weeks written off Will Chambers hopes of being picked? I certainly had him as a chance of making the squad a month ago. Is it too late for him or will he have time to turn it around and become a chance again?

I think he will show his class against the weaker opposition (I realise how stupid that sounds, but you can only play what is in front of you), I expect him to get some ball coming his way against the Rebels, Cheetahs and Lions and this will remind the Reds of the talent out wide that has been missing out this season.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
So have the first 3 weeks written off Will Chambers hopes of being picked? I certainly had him as a chance of making the squad a month ago. Is it too late for him or will he have time to turn it around and become a chance again?

I think he will show his class against the weaker opposition (I realise how stupid that sounds, but you can only play what is in front of you), I expect him to get some ball coming his way against the Rebels, Cheetahs and Lions and this will remind the Reds of the talent out wide that has been missing out this season.

He may yet push his claims, and with the right run of form he'd no doubt be a worthy addition, but I've never rated him above either Horne or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for the run-on 13 jersey.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Am I the only one who saw Slipper binding on Alexander's arm all night - hence the scrum folding in?

Not defending him as a great scrummager, it's just what I saw on Sat

Yep.

Slipper and Alexander were both pretty average on the weekend.

Slipper got the benefit of Lawrence earlier in the match and then it swung in Alexander's favour as the Brumbies scrum started to dominate.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
They would pass as well as many other Aus centre combinations of the past

I'm pretty sure good centre pairings for the Wallabies actually did pass the ball. It was part of what made them good, I think. ;)
I'm not keen to replicate bad centre pairings necessarily.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
the Brumbies scrum seems a bit of a enigma at the moment, against the Rebels i thought it was purely dominant, but against the Reds it seemed rather lacklustre, they either win the hit or they collapse...

I think you're thinking of the Reds scrum which pretty much went to ground on every single feed.

The scrum seemed to only stay up on the Brumbies' feed.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Palu's position is safe at the moment.

Mowen is in great form for the Tahs and was unlucky not to make the Wallaby squad in 2009.

Vaea is a possible bolter but I think his time will probably come next year.

Palmer should be starting TH. Especially considering Baxter isn't going to get considered and is a risk because of his reputation.

Palmer just needs to pick up his work rate. But his scrummaging is world class.

For me Slipper isn't much better than Alexander and the two of them will make good bench props.

Also, for me there are only two safe lock options right now with Sharpe and Horwill. The other 2/3 positions are still up for grabs.

G

GC

Yep.

Slipper and Alexander were both pretty average on the weekend.

Slipper got the benefit of Lawrence earlier in the match and then it swung in Alexander's favour as the Brumbies scrum started to dominate.

The Brumbies scrum only started to dominate when Slipper went off injured if I recall. Holmes was playing out of position at TH. I counted 4 penalties achieved by Slipper and none against (would be interested to see what the game stats were). Considering Slipper is packing in with Fainga'a and Daly, that is an amazing effort. Far better than Palmer IMO.

Reactions: HG

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The Wallabies biggest problem this year will be in the forwards - no surprises there probably.

The Tahs have completely dominated their Aussie competition only to be made to look like school kids against the Crusaders. There is real class out in the backs but apart from Pocock, there is very little threat in the pack.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The Wallabies biggest problem this year will be in the forwards - no surprises there probably.

The Tahs have completely dominated their Aussie competition only to be made to look like school kids against the Crusaders. There is real class out in the backs but apart from Pocock, there is very little threat in the pack.

TPN is one I'd add that has class.

G

GC

The forward ranks are pretty evenly spread among the S15 teams, hence no Oz one's dominating. I think currently no starting Tahs will start for the Wobs. Ben R and Palu will if fit. There'll be 2 QLD (Slipper, Kev), 2 Force (Pocock, Sharpe), 2 Brumbies (Moore, Rocky) +2 Tahs (Robbo, Palu). Maybe TPN for Moore, but I don't think Robbie will go that way.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Compared to NZ, where you have 5 Crusaders (McCaw, Reid, Thorn, Whitelock, Franks) and 3 Blues (Mealamu, Woodcock, Kaino).

Something is wrong if those two packs DON'T dominate the Aussie sides.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Fair comment on the NZ teams (the Blues have 5 AB forwards as well....Woodcock, Kev, Afoa, Williams, Borich and Kaino...)

I don't know that the Chiefs and Highlanders would get dealt to like the Tahs did though....perhaps those will be the games to really judge the forward pack depth...Tahs v Highlanders etc

Dunno about the 'Canes...lol

TPN was the guy I was MOST interested in watching on the weekend.....can he stay fit?? I wanted to see how he'd go against forwards who may be more used to the tough, aggresive island style than the Reds and Rebels may have been. Was really disappointed to see him leave the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.