• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Im satisfied but puzzled why Maafu is there, Phibbs is lucky, he may not get a run anyway, Giteau unlucky but he doesnt belong there anymore. A few will have had no gametime and its hard to see them in world dominating form.
Deans reappointment needed to be after the cup. Thats all.

T

Tireless Backrower

Just saw Mitchell doing shuttle sprints on the Rugby Club - he's carrying 7 to 10 kgs extra

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Great to see Samo in the team but made me think of what happened to him back in '04 when he was picked for a test or 2 in order to prevent Fiji poaching him and wondered if this is what has happened to Timani?

That was not the case with Samo. He wasn't picked for the Fiji 2003 RWC squad but when he had a blinder season in 2004 for the Brumbies Fiji picked him in their squad 3 weeks before the Wallabies team was selected. Fiji was playing in the PN Cup and had to choose early.

When Eddie Jones found out he was chosen for the Fiji squad he told Radike that he was under serious consideration for the Wallabies. That was the official version; Jones probably told him he was in. It was Radike's decison and he chose Australia. He was a Canberra resident for a few years by this time IIRR.

He faded in the 2005 Super 14, then went to France but there is no doubt that he was chosen on merit for the 2004 Wallabies including starting in 3N.

Last year I didn't think he was a prayer to be in the RWC squad after getting only a couple of S14 games, even though he had a few quixotic blinders in the Shute Shield. Then in 2011 he looked like the 2004 Radike sometimes, a bit slower perhaps though stronger; but I still didn't think that he would get a shot.

I said jokingly that Timani should get a gig against Samoa to lock him in, but if straight shooter Deans said anything to him I reckon that he would have told it straight. He would have mentioned that he had a storming second half to the Super season and was therefore on the fringes, but he couldn't guarantee anything.

The young man would have made a decision and like other fringe players he was picked against Samoa.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Im satisfied but puzzled why Maafu is there, Phibbs is lucky, he may not get a run anyway, Giteau unlucky but he doesnt belong there anymore. A few will have had no gametime and its hard to see them in world dominating form.
Deans reappointment needed to be after the cup. Thats all.

Why is Phibbs lucky? There really isn't anyone else (that's not really down to luck) and Phibbs at least had a good Super season and is one for the future.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks - I have to say the Gnostic makes a good point but i dont see today's bombshell as addressing our ability to lose the unlosable game here and there.

On Drewprint's point: I like the theory except that whoever was keeping rocky on life support would, presumably, have been opposed to reappointing Dingo. having said that the machinations at the ARU are beyond the comprehension of mere mortals and John O'Neill is more like Stalin than Stalin himself - i think we all know that he got what he wanted. However, Deans should never have been renewed before the RWC was over.

A heart attack in 1953? ;)

Surely there's a clause of Godwin's law that includes comparisons to old Josef too?

Reactions: DPK

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
...RWC squad selection looming, the matter of the injured players in the frame worries me. Deeply. The players in question are TPN, Slipper, Robinson, Vickerman, Palu, Burgess, Barnes, Horne and Mitchell. Added to those nine one could reasonably add Elsom who's played bugger all rugby in 2011.

I must confess I wasn't completely aware of Salesi Ma'afu's physical condition so he probably should've been included in my list of wounded warriors.

Of this group of 11 (ie, including Elsom and Ma'afu) all have made the cut apart from Robinson, who pulled the pin after realising his knee was never going to be up to it. 10 out of 30 who haven't played enough rugby the past few months. I remain deeply worried.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just saw Mitchell doing shuttle sprints on the Rugby Club - he's carrying 7 to 10 kgs extra

Thats my main concern. Will he be able to shed those extra few and be able to consistantly beat the first defender like he used to? If he can regain his form, no doubt he would be there over Ioane.

T

Tahfan

I would agree with your rant except for this bit, this team in the last two years lost to scotland and Samoa and has struggled with Ireland. It will not be the walk over you might expect.

Nah the group self selects. Ireland V Aus is a de facto Quarter final. Winner goes to semis loser has a second chance against boks.

Have to say for me the announcements today make for interesting discussion.

Horwill as captain was such a no brainer glad it was finally done....

However a LOT is being risked on players who are coming back from Injury and a few who have broken down more than a badly maintained Lada.

TPN, BB, Cliff & Horne have all had multiple injury worries over the past season or two and you still worry that with Berrick his concussion issues are not behind him cos with the greatest respect to the shute shield he wont have REALLY been tested since coming back.

Mitch & Vick's both still very short of Match practice in Drew's case no match practice for what 4 months?

Not saying individually any of these were the wrong choices but when you add them all up it is one HELL of a gamble.

It would not be as much of an issue if Wallabies were playing Ireland last. But second up with nearly 7 of the squad well short of a run and not 100% it's a huge risk...

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
No doubt? I'll throw in mine then.

I'd say no doubt he would be over there instead of JOC (James O'Connor). Assuming 'over there' being in the starting team.

It sounds ridiculous, but Mitchell was playing better than Ioane before he was injured. All the more annoying because it's true. We would have had a truly absurd backline if they were both fit. They were the two form wingers in world rugby - definitely in trinations - at the time. I'm not saying that their the best period, but at that time they were playing well above anyone else.

It surely can't last though, one of the NZ's has to hit their straps again soon.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd say no doubt he would be over there instead of JOC (James O'Connor). Assuming 'over there' being in the starting team.

It sounds ridiculous, but Mitchell was playing better than Ioane before he was injured. All the more annoying because it's true. We would have had a truly absurd backline if they were both fit. They were the two form wingers in world rugby - definitely in trinations - at the time. I'm not saying that their the best period, but at that time they were playing well above anyone else.

It surely can't last though, one of the NZ's has to hit their straps again soon.

Completely agree. Digby's been the most consistent Wallaby back this year: tackling in the #10 channel (topped the tackle count once and finished second once), making breaks, support running, scoring tries- he shouldn't be dropped. O'Connor to the bench covering #11/#12/#14/#15.

T

Tireless Backrower

Jamie Pandaram reports:
"STAR halves Will Genia and Quade Cooper say James Horwill's greater understanding of their style will benefit the Wallabies attack.
Horwill captains the pair at the Queensland Reds, and this year they defied the odds to win the Super Rugby title. Genia and Cooper believe they will have similar freedom to make decisions - and mistakes - now Horwill has taken over from Rocky Elsom as the Wallabies skipper."
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...abies-spark-20110818-1j07k.html#ixzz1VPwqx6a4

When I posted my incisive analysis of the psychological impact of this very late change in captaincy I had not counted on the QC (Quade Cooper) factor - it appears to have taken him less than 24 hours to let the Genie I was worried about out of the bottle.
Is the RWC 2011 an occasion which should be approached with such a nonchalant attitude to making mistakes? Frankly, if Cooper thought that Elsom's captaincy caused him to be more conservative maybe that was reason enough to keep him - since even when he's conservative he is given to bizarre cross field kicks in his own 22, forward passes to players running backwards (Auckland - QC (Quade Cooper) to JOC (James O'Connor)) etc etc.
I have a feeling of trepidation.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
My last involvement in this thread - changed captains too late, too many crocked players, too inexperienced. This side barely grasps the idea of game management never mind closing out the tight games. We've had 4 years of "development" and this side looks severely underdone. Robbie has made a complete hash of it. We will struggle.

R

Rev Spooner

^ You're a light-hearted guy, aren't you? Do you want the Wallabies to win or are you so hell-bent on being proved right that you've lost sight of the bigger picture?

F

fatherted

My last involvement in this thread - changed captains too late, too many crocked players, too inexperienced. This side barely grasps the idea of game management never mind closing out the tight games. We've had 4 years of "development" and this side looks severely underdone. Robbie has made a complete hash of it. We will struggle.

have to respond to some of this - firstly not much of a deans fan. it is evident the bloke is reactionary and no better than your average lounge chair fantasist (like myself) ie shit these blokes look good - wouldn't a backline of X + X + X be fucking awesome? a bloke could if he had the time time construct a Robbie Deans 'Out of Position' XV with very little effort - Giteau at 10, JOC (James O'Connor) at 14, props switching sides and McCalman at 7. Or what about a Robbie Deans 'They ought to be good but fucking aren't' XV with Chisolm and Mumm vying for the captaincy. However, despite his stubbornness and
refusal to surrender an affection for certain players until he no longer has any choice I reckon Deans has gone pretty close to picking the best squad (lack of back up 7 aside). Whatever you think of Gits, the reality is we haven't won anything with him in the side (not of course all his fault). I would rather try something new with blokes like Horne and Barnes and go down in flames than do the same stuff over and over again when it plainly doesn't work

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Jamie Pandaram reports:
"STAR halves Will Genia and Quade Cooper say James Horwill's greater understanding of their style will benefit the Wallabies attack.
Horwill captains the pair at the Queensland Reds, and this year they defied the odds to win the Super Rugby title. Genia and Cooper believe they will have similar freedom to make decisions - and mistakes - now Horwill has taken over from Rocky Elsom as the Wallabies skipper."
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...abies-spark-20110818-1j07k.html#ixzz1VPwqx6a4

When I posted my incisive analysis of the psychological impact of this very late change in captaincy I had not counted on the QC (Quade Cooper) factor - it appears to have taken him less than 24 hours to let the Genie I was worried about out of the bottle.
Is the RWC 2011 an occasion which should be approached with such a nonchalant attitude to making mistakes? Frankly, if Cooper thought that Elsom's captaincy caused him to be more conservative maybe that was reason enough to keep him - since even when he's conservative he is given to bizarre cross field kicks in his own 22, forward passes to players running backwards (Auckland - QC (Quade Cooper) to JOC (James O'Connor)) etc etc.
I have a feeling of trepidation.

Live by the Quade, die by the Quade.

Status
Not open for further replies.