• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm not taking anything from this game. Limited preparations, not a first choice side, shithouse weather and a clear late change of gameplan. Not taking anything away from the Scots, they defended brilliantly, but that style of tactics just doesn't suit Australia. Disappointing but nothing too much to read into.

The only real aspect I took note of was the high work rate from Moore, Dennis and Higginbotham.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
It was obvious that OZ were playing a narrow attack and I can imagine that running on to ball with charging defenders would be very high risk from slow ruck ball, so it was a safety first approach. But like Horan I would have like to have seen the ball spread after a couple of phases at least and trust the backs to secure ball.

I remember thinking in the second half - why are they so scared to use some width? Sure, handling is more difficult. But the risk when you spill it is so much less when the opposition can't get out of their quarter because of the gale. If you spill it, there's a scrum and they can either try and rumble it up the field - hard work which itself requires good handling - or kick it - good luck....

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can't blame harris for that, pocock could have kicked that ball dead with that Wind tonight. Harris should not have been put in that situation to kick a Goal from 1/2 way even though Harris might have been confidant.pocock should have got barnes to go for the lineout twice. And this is where I think pocock is not a leader in a captain sence but a leader as a doer on the field.
hard conditions tonight but also simple rugby could have made meters. Good solid rucking down the side with a deep grubber into the side line forcing 22 line out with a lot of pressure. And a team like Scotland they never run the ball from there 22. They would have kicked and kicked into the wind and we all could see how far the ball was going. Fuck all, and advantage Aus in the line out.
And I still Blame Deans. I can't see us wining 3 out of 3 against wales with his coaching decisions.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Reminded me of watching the Tahs this year, it wasn't a night not to try to kick any goal.

Reactions: BPC

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Terrible game. And of course a reminder that rugby is an absolutely terrible sport. Really more a form of masochism than sport. The delirious reaction of Scottish fans at my pub is all the proof you need. 80 minutes of failure, witnessing highly paid professionals executing like Mudgee Reserve graders (apologies in advance to Mudgee Reserve Grade), and inevitably the referee, always the most important man on the rugby pitch, deciding the game result.

Yet another comic reminder why I've stopped and why and millions of Australians don't watch this ridiculous sport. Please just put an end to it.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I remember thinking in the second half - why are they so scared to use some width? Sure, handling is more difficult. But the risk when you spill it is so much less when the opposition can't get out of their quarter because of the gale. If you spill it, there's a scrum and they can either try and rumble it up the field - hard work which itself requires good handling - or kick it - good luck....

Exactly vidiot. Put pressure on by changing the attack, but that's something Barnes has struggled with this season and it showed again tonight. But again Genia did not assist also.

I thought the forwards did a good job of providing a decent enough platform to work from and there was clean ball to use.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm not taking anything from this game. Limited preparations, not a first choice side, shithouse weather and a clear late change of gameplan. Not taking anything away from the Scots, they defended brilliantly, but that style of tactics just doesn't suit Australia. Disappointing but nothing too much to read into.

The only real aspect I took note of was the high work rate from Moore, Dennis and Higginbotham.

The one good aspect about a soggy field under foot, is that it's perfect for sticking our heads back into the sands and pretend that everythings fine.

After Wales, did I hear we're off to Samoa again? Gulp!

codex156

Stan Wickham (3)
Explain to me the sense on extending Dingo's contract during the World Cup??? I mean seriously if he had been All Blacks coach he would have been fired 2 years before the world cup, you cannot have such a low win percentage and think yourself able to go into a World Cup. Its more then just blooding players it is building a consistant culture of winning, of breeding your players into the idea that you can beat anyone.

John Eales believed
Nick Farr Jones believed

And while they were Captains, they reflected the culture that the coaching staff developed within that team and I will use an example here of the culture I believe has been instilled in this Wallaby team. During that last scrum during the Scotland match tonight, if that had been the All Blacks with everything on the line and the game in the balance (last years All Blacks) you would have seen Brad Thorn and the senior players belting up the younger ones and sheer grit coming from your senior players. Where was that grit? That determination in the Wallaby forwards tonight?

Evidence of a mindset in this team that I think is not healthy if you want to be consistantly performing well at International level....

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's all about the blame game now, isn't it. I'll limit myself to two brickbats.

1. JON and the ARU. This was the stupidest fucking scheduling decision I have ever seen. I made this point well before the game, for fuck's sake we all did. Stevie Wonder did. We had absolutely NOTHING to gain from this fixture. It smacked of arrogance, and we got what we deserved. I actually feel sorry for the coaches and players for being thrust into such a game. We were on a hiding to nothing, and are now right behind the 8-ball for Wales on Saturday.

2. If I was to single out one player (and frankly I really don't want to) I would have to look at Genia. He needed to direct us a bit better tonight. Also I don't think he darted from the base of the ruck once, and with the Scots flying off the line we really needed that to keep them on their toes. He was timid and needed to be better.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Absolutely agree Codex - but players with that level of self belief and absolute confidence to get home in a tight one seem to be rather thin on the ground at present.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
It's all about the blame game now, isn't it. I'll limit myself to two brickbats.

1. JON and the ARU. This was the stupidest fucking scheduling decision I have ever seen. I made this point well before the game, for fuck's sake we all did. Stevie Wonder did. We had absolutely NOTHING to gain from this fixture. It smacked of arrogance, and we got what we deserved. I actually feel sorry for the coaches and players for being thrust into such a game. We were on a hiding to nothing, and are now right behind the 8-ball for Wales on Saturday.

2. If I was to single out one player (and frankly I really don't want to) I would have to look at Genia. He needed to direct us a bit better tonight. Also I don't think he darted from the base of the ruck once, and with the Scots flying off the line we really needed that to keep them on their toes. He was timid and needed to be better.

Given our short number of coaches, I blame the "coaching assistant" (sorry i do not know his name) because surely that's why he is there. TT and Dingo are above it all.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I think a lot of the blame has to go on poor decision making by the captain. I think Pocock deciding to kick for touch rather than kicking for goal was very poor. Even if you miss in conditions like that, you still get the ball back in good field position.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Actually I thought he darted a number of times. I think you were right to not want to blame one player. It wasn't any single players fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.