• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs England, Sydney, 3rd Test, 25 June @ 8:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Lilo
13. Kerevi
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Holmes
19. Horwil
20. McMahon
21. Frisby
22. Kuridrani
23. Morahan

I really can't see both Simmons and Carter starting in the second row together. Simmons out for Horwill imo.

Simmons was dropped for form reasons, and hasn't had any game time in the meantime to show he has improved. Carter, otoh, had the high workload game I'm sure Cheika put him in there for, and ran a highly efficient lineout, which reputably is a strength that Rob Simmons alone holds in Aus rugby.

In fact, I have to say that I am completely over Rob Simmons as a test player. His lineout generalship has been over-hyped now for a couple of years at least. Beyond that, he has so little impact in a game that you could often be forgiven for thinking he wasn't even on the ground, but then he goes and gives away some silly penalty to remind you of his presence.

I know I am exaggerating his deficiencies but he is fast dropping down the order of locks in my opinion. I wouldn't even have him on the bench for Test No 3.

On your other selections, Cheika must do something about changing the way Fardy and Hooper play if he retains them both. No good having them playing on opposite sides of the ground when we are being beaten up the middle.

Otherwise, I think there needs to be some very hard thinking about retaining Foley at 10 also. The thinking is that he needs a ball player at 12 in order to do his best. But he also needs a defender at 11 to cover for him when under pressure. That just has too much negativity about it for his selection to continue. Play To'omua at 10 and then keep the two Ks at 12 and 13 where they look to be our most dangerous combination for a long, long time. Horne, who is too slow to be a winger, should then miss out for a proper winger, either Nabuli (for development) for Morahan until Tomane is available.

I also think McMahon has had sufficient opportunities to establish himself, but he doesn't look to be a test standard player. For the time being, Palu/Houston to share the No8 spot. Holloway looks to be the No8 we are looking for longer term.

Reactions: Tip

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Cheika isn't going to drop arguably his best player from the first two tests. It would make no sense.

There would seemingly more likelihood that Hooper will be captain this week than find himself on the bench or outside the 23.

He does need to devise a better game plan for the back row.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
a5ab7a87251532c79efc38a911daf3ce.jpg

cd1cb9d8d67809363ce2552f4fd72348.jpg

663d80dc2110f2a28b3e03966228fc1d.jpg

45d9820e78c26cf21033b8231c25485b.jpg

dbfa848f18e89183df962e8bcc77f3cd.jpg

967e1eb635c2846393949c24fa5139f2.jpg

Based on the look of photos from today's training, the boys in green look to be more so first stingers and the orange more so reserves and squaddies.

Notable ones for me are Lealiifano, To'omua, Kerevi and Kuridrani all in green. Naiyaravoro in green and Horwill and Simmons in green. Palu in green.

Carter and Mumm in Orange

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Based on the look of photos from today's training, the boys in green look to be more so first stingers and the orange more so reserves and squaddies.

Notable ones for me are Lealiifano, To'omua, Kerevi and Kuridrani all in green. Naiyaravoro in green and Horwill and Simmons in green. Palu in green.

Carter and Mumm in Orange

Foley and Phipps are both in green too. SO which one of Foley, Lilo, To'omua, K1 and K2 is on the wing?

EDIT: Horne is in green too so maybe Folau is dropped and one of the Ks is playing fullback. I'd say they are working through some different combos, it could be a sign that all those in green are in the 23 though.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Foley and Phipps are both in green too. SO which one of Foley, Lilo, To'omua, K1 and K2 is on the wing?

EDIT: Horne is in green too so maybe Folau is dropped and one of the Ks is playing fullback. I'd say they are working through some different combos, it could be a sign that all those in green are in the 23 though.
We've got a massive backline there

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The only selection I'm going to be annoyed with this Test is if McMahon is picked again.

The rest have fair pro's and con's. Even re-calling Phipps & Foley. But McMahon has no previous evidence that he is capable of stepping up.

T

Tip

Firstly, I think its a bit of a cop-out to use last weekend as an example of two 7's not working. In reality we chose two small 6's. The Pooper works because of their contrasting and complimentary skill-sets. The McMooper have the same strengths and weaknesses. McMahon was pretty inconspicuous, but made less errors than Fardy. I don't think either should be in the XV this week. I can't believe I'm saying this but Palu for the first 30 then Houston for 50.

Secondly, I also think it's a bit of a cop-out to say that Foley & Phipps looked terrible because the forwards didn't provide clean ball /go forward. We had 506 run metres (4m per carry), made 13 line breaks, beat 31 tackles... We just completely lacked idea's bar "give it to Izzy" in attack.

I'd be dropping Moore, Kepu, Arnold, McMahon, Fardy, Phipps & Foley because of brain explosions, lack of form impact or impact. I'd make Slipper captain (until poey's back) because for the past 3 years every alternative has refused to make the scorers count in multiples of three.

1.Slipper (c) 2.TPN 3.Holmes
4.Horwill 5.Carter
6.Gill 7.Hooper 8.Palu
9. Frisby, 10.To'omua
12.Kerevi 13.Kuridrani
11. DHP 14. Morahan 15. Folau

Sio, Moore, Kepu, Fardy, Houston, Phipps, Foley, Horne

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I understand you find it difficult to drop Hooper. But if their is ever a time to drop him then game 3 of a dead rubber match is the time to do it.

Their will be no other time that is less risky to the squad.

After losing 2 in the row with the same personal and strategy, then now is the time to experiment.

Having said that, I'd actually keep Hooper and drop McMahon for Gill. But wouldn't be upset to see Hooper dropped.

i dont get this argument at all.

facing a whitewash, at home, in Sydney, to the soap dodgers?

now is definitely not a time for experimentation.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
i dont get this argument at all.

facing a whitewash, at home, in Sydney, to the soap dodgers?

now is definitely not a time for experimentation.

You know the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

We tried the same thing twice and failed twice.

Yes we are facing a white-wash, so now is exactly the time to try something different because its pretty bloody clear that what we are currently doing is not working.

Understand?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You know the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Tangental and not entirely irrelevant but I am so sick of people using that quote.

That is NOT even close to the definition of insanity and people are essentially using an argument from authority logical fallacy in thinking it must be true / insightful because Albert Einstein "said" it.

Well theres absolutely no evidence of that happening either. Its just a silly phrase plucked from somewhere in history and everyones decided to run with it despite an absence of any reason to continually use it over and over again.

I fucking hate that phrase.

But I digress. Where were we?

Status
Not open for further replies.