• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs Boks Bloemfontein

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Can't be unhappy conceding 40 points a game in SA and still getting a win from 2 and a trophy. But we're not gonna take too many trophies from the kiwis leaking that many points.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think how good your defense is isn't a quantitative stat, it's qualitative.

Tackle made/missed in pure numbers doesn't take into account the tackle effectiveness or the situations where you are the secondary tackler ect, not to mention defensive pressure that mightn't have resulted in a actual tackle needing to be made. Also with the missed ones sometimes you are forced to attempt a tackle that should have been someone elses and that still goes down as a missed.

I think the front 5 tend to clock up the highest tackle count because they are usually piller and post and the boks like to keep it close.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Tackle stats are:

Robinson 14 Moore 17 Slipper 14 Ma’afu 1 Rocky 17 Chizz 12 Sharpie 14 Bam Pocock 19 (missed 3) McCalman 13 (missed 4)

Genia 8 (missed 3) Cooper 5 (missed 3) Gits 8 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 10 Shmoo 6 JO’C 5 (missed 3) KB (Kurtley Beale) 4 (missed 1 if you're interested) Burgess 4

Ma'afu's isn't a mistake....

Interesting stats. Several critics are getting stuck into the wet lettuce defence of QC (Quade Cooper), however he missed the same number of tackles as the GAGR MOM.

I guess the numbers do not reveal the consequences of the tackles missed.

A fattie missing a tackle for the runner to be brought down a metre or so away by another fattie is way different to a missed tackle in the backline which may end up in a try or a 30-40 metre gain.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The massive difference is the work rate of Pocock winning how many five turnovers and still making 19 tackles for a miss rate of three. Miss rate of 16%. As opposed to Cooper's defensive work rate and a missed tackle stat of 60%.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone know where I can find extended highlights on the net? My HD recorder let me down last night. Have seen the fox highlights, just not sure if there is something else available.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
The tries in the game prove that KB (Kurtley Beale), QC (Quade Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) have to be in the team. The calls for Turner to replace JOC (James O'Connor) are absurd. I would like to see Turner get some chance at 13.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
The tries in the game prove that KB (Kurtley Beale), QC (Quade Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) have to be in the team. The calls for Turner to replace JOC (James O'Connor) are absurd. I would like to see Turner get some chance at 13.

Agreed, he is just as good a defender, and just as good under the high ball as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). if not, better.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

You mean the calls made before this game? Before he had a truly successful game on the wing?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, I agree DPK.
JO'C is a good player, and he played well last night, but he had not looked great as a winger prior to that. Because he is not a winger, but a good utility back who will probably be a 12 long term.
Turner is a good winger, who is a good winger, and I think it is impossible to say what he might or might not have done last night. I think with our back-line make-up, including the bench, Turner still makes more sense than Fainga'a. What does Faiingaa offer that Giteau, Barnes, Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and JO'C offer more or less. Turner is fast, defensively good this year in S14, and chases very well. Don't really see his future at international level at 13.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought McCalman had nice hands at the back of the scrum - an improvement on Brown at least. He needs to stop running so upright into contact however. Moore and Pocock are text book perfect when running into traffic.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
When Digby and Rod Davies are fit I don't see Turner being selected. He plays well at13 for Eastwood - and yes I realize that is club football.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Still not a farken word about the match after the preview on rugby365. Poor form.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
OK, I'll say it and am standing by to receive all incoming fire. To paraphrase Shania Twain (there's a way to get your argument off on the right foot if ever I saw one), McCalman didnt impress me much. Yes, he was a marginal improvement on Brown, yes he did the basic stuff OK but to me he didnt play like a true test #8 (yes, I know it was his first run on cap). Where were the bulldozing runs? Where was the smashing of pillars at the ruck? Where did he put the Jarpies in two minds when they thought "shit, it's McCalman, what are we going to do? How can we stop him?" To compound my weird theory, and I cant believe I'm saying this, I think that bringing Mad Dog on as a substitute was a warranted and appropriate move.

Am now taking cover........

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought that Brown as a sub worked quite well, so I agree with you there Riddler. Benny had an OK first game, but much improvement is needed. Still, not a bad start.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
OK, I'll say it and am standing by to receive all incoming fire. To paraphrase Shania Twain (there's a way to get your argument off on the right foot if ever I saw one), McCalman didnt impress me much. Yes, he was a marginal improvement on Brown, yes he did the basic stuff OK but to me he didnt play like a true test #8 (yes, I know it was his first run on cap). Where were the bulldozing runs? Where was the smashing of pillars at the ruck? Where did he put the Jarpies in two minds when they thought "shit, it's McCalman, what are we going to do? How can we stop him?" To compound my weird theory, and I cant believe I'm saying this, I think that bringing Mad Dog on as a substitute was a warranted and appropriate move.

Am now taking cover........

By memory when McCalman ran he got over the gainline by 2m, rather than getting wrestled backwards - need to watch replay

Whatever happened though, the backrow was so much better balanced - witness Rocky able to play more of his old game.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
As much as I think Davies has a lot to offer, he really does not deserve to be that high in the pecking order just yet. Ioane, sure.

I agree with you cyc but don't get me wrong, his pace and finishing skills have the potential to be dynamite for the Wallabies. Take him on the EOYT, run him in some mid week games and let him stake his claim there. If he does so, he would be a great addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.