• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies versus Wales- SFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiggles

I've made a note of watching him, and he rarely hits rucks like Pyle, Douglas or Simmons and his fitness is just not up to scratch. He fails to do the tight work which is what Australia needs of its second rows, especially with TPN, Kepu, Higginbotham, Palu and Pocock in the pack.

Timani is like watching the hype around Tom Bowman all over again. All huff and subsequent selection based on what he might be able to do, not what he has done, and with out actually delivering the nitty gritty. I'd like to be proven wrong, as it would provide more depth at the locks which is an area of concern, but I doubt I will be.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Well done on selling this game out btw.
Allianz only holds 45k so the crowd is on par with what you had at Docklands. However word is there has been quite a few people who have missed out on tickets. I am so glad they didn't put it at Homebush. Even if we got an extra 10k at ANZ, I would prefer a packed Allianz with fewer spectators. Hopefully the ARU share this view in the future. Afternoon rugby at the SFS is brilliant.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Timani has all the right physical attributes as a lock, but I'm yet to see him really impose himself on a game. That is, for him to be that big hard bastard who scatters opposition at ruck time, runs through defences and puts the hurt on in tackles. Bloody hell I'd love it if he did because I reckon we miss that kind of player. He sometimes strikes me as being a shy player in a big blokes body. I will confess that I haven't seen a lot of him this season, so my assessment may be doing him a disservice.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Allianz only holds 45k so the crowd is on par with what you had at Docklands. However word is there has been quite a few people who have missed out on tickets. I am so glad they didn't put it at Homebush. Even if we got an extra 10k at ANZ, I would prefer a packed Allianz with fewer spectators. Hopefully the ARU share this view in the future. Afternoon rugby at the SFS is brilliant.

There wouldn't be nearly as many people interested in going if it were at ANZ. They would be lucky to get 45k out there me thinks...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hooper's inclusion confuses me. Yes he brings impact, but he comes on at #6? Dennis is a six, and a bloody good one, and you'd want Higginbotham and Pocock on for the 80minutes. It does not make sense, like most of what Deans does, it does not make sense.

It makes sense if you consider Deans may want to give Hooper some time on the park without Pocock. He may actually consider taking Pocock off the park.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I don't know if they've locked the venues in for 2014 & 2016 yet, but I hope we play France at AAMI. England is probably appropriate at Etihad. Might have an extension by then though :)

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
You can if you lose by less (to a higher ranked team) than the other mob did.
We dropped to fifth below Eng after beating them because they beat France by more than us. Trouble is fourth is critically important place to be for next RWC.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I agree his work rate isn't high, but is hardly 'well below' that of other options. His stats against Scotland weren't bad. We will have a better picture after Saturday.

He is clearly a project player. His form was good in his last few games for the Waratahs and I can see why Deans is picking him. Once again I'm not sure I agree with it but I can understand it.

Deans looks at Timani and sees a potential Brad Thorn or Bakkies Botha.

We can only hope he is right. Please Please Please.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I don't know if they've locked the venues in for 2014 & 2016 yet, but I hope we play France at AAMI. England is probably appropriate at Etihad. Might have an extension by then though :)
I thought when AAMI was built they didn't allow for any upgrade?

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
According to WRU, this is Tim Awstralia. Good. They're taking it seriously

Beale back to face Wales
Bad boy Kurtley Beale will make his Test return as one of three changes, one positional, to the Wallabies starting XV to face Wales in the thrid and final Test in Sydney on Saturday afternoon.

The Melbourne Rebels star returns to the No.15 jersey for the first time since last year's Rugby World Cup, with Adam Ashley-Cooper moving to the right wing in place of Cooper Vuna.

New South Wales Waratahs lock Sitaleki Timani replaces Rob Simmons in the only other change to the starting XV, with Mike Harris dropping off the bench to accommodate his fellow Queenslander.

Beale will make his return from a shoulder injury as the drama of his alleged scuffle with bouncers at a Queensland hotel continues to play out.

"It has been frustrating for Kurtley, and he's obviously had some off-field challenges to deal with as well," said Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

"But it was important for all concerned that he had full confidence in his shoulder before we looked at re-introducing him to the Test arena."

Deans said he was expecting Wales to mount another strong challenge at Allianz Stadium, particularly after they were denied a drought-breaking victory in Australia after the siren last weekend.

"Wales are a very good side. They give you nothing and they take their scoring chances. They showed that in the Six Nations, and they showed it again last weekend," he said.

"Both games in the series to date have been very close, there's no reason to suggest that Saturday afternoon will be any different."

Awstralia

15. Kurtley Beale
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
13. Rob Horne
12. Pat McCabe
11. Digby Ioane
10. Berrick Barnes
9. Will Genia
8. Wycliff Palu
7. David Pocock
6. Scott Higginbotham
5. Nathan Sharpe
4. Sitaleki Timani
3. Sekope Kepu
2. Tatafu Polota Nau
1. Benn Robinson
Replacements
16. Stephen Moore
17. Ben Alexander
18. Dave Dennis
19. Michael Hooper
20. Rob Simmons
21. Nic White
22. Anthony Fainga'a

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I too can see the point of trying to find out if Timani can be a quality international lock. He is something of a standout from a physical viewpoint. One of the more massive human beings I have ever seen close up!
But I also agree, that should he not make the step soon, we need to see Pyle / Douglas et al being brought forward sooner rather than later. Both look promising prospects.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I dont rate Harris as a Test Player, but his reward for saving Deans' skin is to be dropped so a Lock who can't play 30 minutes of test rugby, let alone test rugby at all, can be picked to start and cover for him is provided in the form of a 5 - 2 bench split.

The logic of Deans at its very best.

ARU selectors to Mike Harris: "Hey Mike, cobber, digger, mate, bro. Thanks for winning us the series against the NH Champions. Now piss off, as we want to concentrate on rewarding other (less-worthy), but more "socially-acceptable" players! Cheers mate! (Will ring you when we need you again)!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
ARU selectors to Mike Harris: "Hey Mike, cobber, digger, mate, bro. Thanks for winning us the series against the NH Champions. Now piss off, as we want to concentrate on rewarding other (less-worthy), but more "socially-acceptable" players! Cheers mate! (Will ring you when we need you again)!

Socially acceptable? What are you smoking?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
But seriously, were we not injury ravaged, do you think Harris would be anywhere near the Test squad? With Beale coming back, he is the obvious choice to be rested.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
You got the 'like' for the South Park reference.

Would have picked Fardy, Carter, Pyle, Neville and Douglas ahead of Timani in that order. I am guessing, well, more hoping, that Hooper will come on for Pocock at some stage to give him a much needed rest.

If you listened to the ABC feed of Brumbies v Wales match, Owen Finegan said at the end "Fardy and Carter appear to be carrying 'niggling' injuries"!!
Enough said.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Well sort of. The foundations etc. can support 50k, however the roof is a bit tricky. I blame Al Baxter.

Found an old article on it. Bit of a shame but I'll doubt they'll upgrade it due to the cost involved.
AAMI Park size the right fit for spectators

26 Apr 2010 @ 10:00am by Paddy Higgs

PERHAPS the only tarnish on AAMI Park’s shine has been the long-running speculation over its final capacity.

As stakeholders, Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Victory played key roles in bumping the stadium seating from the 20,000 originally canvassed up to its final 30,050. But this is still not enough for arguably the world’s biggest sporting showpiece - the soccer World Cup, which could be coming to Australia in 2018 or 2022.

FIFA, the game’s international governing body, is announcing hosts for both tournaments in December. But AAMI Park is not part of Australia’s bid because FIFA regulations require venues to have at least 40,000 seats.

With the cost of a capacity increase at the stadium estimated at over $100 million, an upgrade in the event of the competition coming to Australia has been ruled out. But the State Government says the stadium was never built to host World Cup games, with the MCG, Etihad Stadium and Geelong’s Kardinia Park all capable of doing so.

And - as the Victory and Storm have argued - one benefit of a smaller capacity is an enhancement of spectator experience.

The Storm plays its first game at AAMI Park on May 9 against the Brisbane Broncos. Former acting chief executive officer Matt Hanson, speaking before he stood down following last week’s revelations about the Storm’s salary cap breaches, said Storm fans were in for a treat.

“The furthest seat in the house is 32m from the ground, which is amazing,” he said. “If you’re in the front row you’ll be that close to the sideline.”

Victory will still play its bigger matches - such as finals, games against Sydney FC and derby matches against the Heart - at its home of the past four seasons, Etihad Stadium. Victory fans got a taste of a close-seated arena when the lower level of seating at Etihad was slid out on a handful of occasions last season.

Chief executive Geoff Miles believes the atmosphere will be even more electric at AAMI Park. “Stadiums that are purpose-built for our game just deliver an enhanced experience. AAMI Park will be no different,” Mr Miles said. “It’s going to deliver on match night an unrivalled experience for fans and players.”

“The capacity of 30,000 gives us a great opportunity, and we think that it’s going to cater really well for our games. It’s probably ended up a good fit.”

http://melbourne-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/size-right-fit-for-spectators/

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
But seriously, were we not injury ravaged, do you think Harris would be anywhere near the Test squad? With Beale coming back, he is the obvious choice to be rested.

Can't agree Cyclo. Leave Two-Dads at 15 and put Harris on the wing. Even Mrs Doug agrees with me, she just said: "Beale, no, no, no, no," (and her agreeing with me doesn't happen very often, believe me)!! She does, however, regularly say: "no, no, no"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.