• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales Game 2 Sat 13 July Melbourne

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd go with a similar team:

1 - Hodgman
2 - Faessler
3 - Tupou
4 - Williams
5 - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 - Wright
7 - McReight
8 - Valetini
9 - Gordon
10 - Lolesio
11 - Daungunu
12 - Paisami
13 - Ikitau
14 - Kellaway
15 - Wright
16 - Pollard
17 - Kailea
18 - AAA
19 - Frost
20 - Cale
21 - McDermott
22 - Donaldson
23 - Peitsch

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'd be expecting quite a few more changes than that from Schmidt. He will want to be seeing what his squad offers.

I'm guessing second row, backrow and halves especially will be rotated

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Agreed. I think Gordon will hold his spot as he executed his part in Schmidt’s game plan flawlessly. I think Slips needs a rest, he looked busted. Keep him going in the squad but let his body recover until the RC. Bobby V has also played a lot of hard minutes. Re Wilson I gather he was sent to club yesterday to test his fitness. How did he go? So this is pending that and others re fitness. I think Smith will get his chance v Georgia.

1. Hodgman
2. Faessler
3. Tupou
4. Frost
5. Williams
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. Gordon
10. Donaldson
11. Pietsch
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright

16. Pollard
17. Kailea
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Salakai-Loto
20. Valetini
21. White
22. Lynagh
23. Daugunu

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think the most likely change(s) will be in the second row and on the bench. Maybe a rest for Slipper as well and we'll have to see if Joe was happy with Hunter's game. Most of us here thought he stifled the Aussie backline attack, but he might have been under instruction to play that way.

Wouldn't like to see too many changes to a side that is building from such a low base, and generally the team last night pretty much had Wales beaten across the park.

So, my thoughts are Frost will likely come into the starting side probably to pair with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the second row. Kailea showed enough to think that he could start if Slipper is given a rest. While I am not a fan, Stewart could get the 12 spot if Joe wants to open up the attack out wide a bit more.

On the bench, I think we might see some more rotation with perhaps Hooper, White, Donaldson and Lancaster all chances of getting a run.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
If Joe wants to open attack out it wide more, probably need to get the fly-half passing more then 14 times in the test?

Just a thought…maybe they played to a game plan of running off the halfback…. Or we can blame the 12

Last edited:

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I know he’s talked about giving guys opportunities, but I tend to think Schmidt will stick with largely the same team. Maybe a change or two but otherwise give them some chance to build cohesion. He’s presumable picked what he thinks is he best team up front so giving them time to gel seems a logical approach to me.

Maybe 2-3 changes for this game and potentially the same for Georgia.

Opportunities will no doubt come up for the guys who weren’t in the squad last night, I don’t think Schmidt will need to try to hard to manufacture them. And it will be better for all of those couple of guys can come into a more settled, cohesive team then if there is consistent chopping and changing.

House is on Fire

Frank Nicholson (4)
Kailea, Faessler, Tupou, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Frost, Wright, McReight, Valetini, Gordon, Lolesio, Daugunu, Paisami, Ikitau, Kellaway, Wright

Res: Pollard, Slipper, AAA, Smith, Cale, McDermott, Lynagh, Flook

Minimal changes, just some rotation through the second row. Kailea might be promoted to starting to see what he can do in the starting side off the back of a really good debut.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think Joe will want to see what a few more in the squad can do, giving him the required info to pick the best team for Georgia and give them time to build into the RC.

1. Hodgman
2. Faessler
3. Tupou
4. Frost
5. Williams
6. Hooper
7. Wright
8. Wilson
9. White
10. Donaldson
11. Daugunu
12. Stewart
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright

16. Pollard
17. Kailea
18. Nonggor
19. Salakai-Loto
20. Cale
21. Gordon
22. Lynagh
23. Lancaster

Could perhaps give Pietsch a run instead of Kellaway too, but it makes the back 3 a bit light on in the kicking department.

Last edited:

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is a tricky one. He does have an edge to him that no one else really has in this team. We saw that last night somewhat but I thought he stood out as not really applying the same principles as the rest of the team in securing ball and ruck work more generally.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah, a bit different, but probably worth giving Valetini and McReight a breather after playing a lot of Super Rugby minutes. They're also a known quantity.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Smith isn't currently in the squad, but Hooper is, so substitute Hooper there and Donaldson in place of Lynagh and I think that's close.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm not sure that either were technically dropped though - Wilson was a bit shy of fit to be getting a run and Smith apparently needed a break from the intensity for a week or two. Won't be surprised to see either or both called up for this week and/or the Georgia game.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I did forget about Hooper when I was doing my list. Perhaps give Valetini a break completely, although that might happen v Georgia.

HowRYa?

Stan Wickham (3)
I'd go with a similar team:

1 - Slipper
2 - Faessler
3 - Tupou
4 - Williams
5 - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 - Wright
7 - McReight
8 - Valetini
9 - Gordon
10 - Lolesio
11 - Daungunu
12 - paisami
13 - Ikitau/Flook
14 - Kellaway
15 - Wright
16 - Pollard
17 - Kailea
18 - AAA
19 - Frost
20 - Cale
21 - McDermott
22 - Donaldson/Lynagh
23 - Lancaster
I'm really liking the look of this team. For me, I feel like the major changes will come against Georgia. However, I'm going to go against the grain a bit, and say that I think Lynagh for me was the better player (in terms of correct decisions and errors). I think Lolesio could be an awesome flyhalf for the wallabies, but he needs to fix up the lazy knock-ons and being caught in a 'no-man's land', between spinning the ball out, or dumping it off for the forwards. These mistakes he won't be able to make in the RC. Lynagh looked pretty well at home, there was nothing special about his little cameo on the weekend, but to me he looked more set (may have something to do with the scoreboard), but to me he should get that no.10 for this game, or at minimum against Georgia. I think he could end up being (assuming nothing major happens) one of the best no.10 in world rugby. The incoming wallabies are looking really good, we just need to give them chances.

Kindest of Regards,
HRYa?