• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Yeah, you've always offered a pointed but balanced argument, that wasn't directed at you.

That's true. 6/8 is where it really stands out at the moment, there isn't really anyone uncapped who's knocking at the door for test selection. I'm not sure it's totally because of the 'intruders', but they don't help. Also to blame is letting players like Mowen go at their prime. At least there are a couple of viable options in the pipeline at halfback.

Yes and I don't want to blame the marquee players either because I think the ultimate balance of their contribution is a positive one for Australian rugby, but it needs to be managed better by the ARU, the short term and long term implications for the wallabies need to be a major factor.. make it a simple '1 marquee per position' rule across the Australian super rugby teams with a first in, best dressed rule.

That is, a team can't sign a foreigner in a position if another club already has one signed in that position..

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Photos from todays Captain's run (Wallabies)

Flickr (my 100th Album) or Facebook

29266805920_de216df90c_c_d.jpg

that looks like a better sook face than berrick's sook face!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Yes and I don't want to blame the marquee players either because I think the ultimate balance of their contribution is a positive one for Australian rugby, but it needs to be managed better by the ARU, the short term and long term implications for the wallabies need to be a major factor.. make it a simple '1 marquee per position' rule across the Australian super rugby teams with a first in, best dressed rule.

That is, a team can't sign a foreigner in a position if another club already has one signed in that position..
How tight are you controlling that though?

Is it one prop, or one loosehead and one tighthead? One lock or two? Are a Blindside and a Number 8 a different player, and is a blindside? Is Potgieter declared a Blindside, and that means he's not allowed to play in the second row if Steve Mafi is the nominated Lock for the Force. Do all NAQs count or just capped 7s/Full Internationals/A Internationals. Does first come first served mean that the Rebels have to rush through re-signing Amanaki Mafi to make sure the Tahs don't sign Victor Vito? Or can the Rebels delay and delay and delay, Vito is fed up and signs in Europe after a Japanese stint, and then Mafi doesn't sign an extension?

Your point is valid. Lots of finicky things to work out though, particularly since by my count, there can be 12 full internationals (7 of any plus 5 Japanese).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes Godwin in NRC has shown nothing to warrant being in the test mix. Hopefully at the Brumbies he rediscovers the form in the early years that had him tagged as an exciting young prospect.

Now a mid 20 something journey man.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Has Hodge got speed? As would like to get back to having wingers that are genuine finisher with pace to burn. As call me simple but I thought that use to be the key pre-requisite for a quality winger.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
How tight are you controlling that though?

Is it one prop, or one loosehead and one tighthead? One lock or two? Are a Blindside and a Number 8 a different player, and is a blindside? Is Potgieter declared a Blindside, and that means he's not allowed to play in the second row if Steve Mafi is the nominated Lock for the Force. Do all NAQs count or just capped 7s/Full Internationals/A Internationals. Does first come first served mean that the Rebels have to rush through re-signing Amanaki Mafi to make sure the Tahs don't sign Victor Vito? Or can the Rebels delay and delay and delay, Vito is fed up and signs in Europe after a Japanese stint, and then Mafi doesn't sign an extension?

Your point is valid. Lots of finicky things to work out though, particularly since by my count, there can be 12 full internationals (7 of any plus 5 Japanese).
After I read TOCCs post and before I read yours I was thinking the same thing. Take Kaino for example, just say he hangs up the test boots and signs as a marquee with the rebels. He could be 4,5,6 or 8. Or the French version of Reece hodge, what position do you call him?

I think TOCC is right in principle though, the ARU could ensure there is only only Kaino type marquee running around, etc. Maybe additional to that there needs to be some onus on the buying franchise to show that they don't have development player capable of filling the role?

Anyway we digress.....it's game day!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
My bar tender (24yo) played rugger with him at Manly. By all accounts a great bloke well respected and his mates are pretty excited for this weekend.

I dont think he's locked to 12. Wing is fine. Mostly I just love his long distance goal kicking. Didnt look out of place at all.

Dru - trying to drop you a PM but cant?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Don't the Irish do something pretty similar to the above suggestions? Although, it did just blow up in their face a bit with the Pieenar/Ulster situation..

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Reports that the Suncorp crowd will be lucky to crack 35'000

That doesn't surprise me, I a kiwi and I going (I know a rugby tragic), but virtually none of my Aussie mates that are always at tests etc are going. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't top 30,000

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reports that the Suncorp crowd will be lucky to crack 35'000

it has so much going against it:

- Boks a traditional poor crowd drawer
- 2nd test of the year
- poor Wallaby performances
- poor QLD rugby environment
- last round of GPS rugby meaning focus is elsewhere.
- big storms expected this arvo
- big NRL game here last night.

Oh and basically no ARU marketing of the event

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It is forecast to be mostly clear of earlier rain by the evening (for whatever that's worth).

LH3uGH5.jpg

I'm picking a Wallabies win. :)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes I liked the look of Alex Northam when saw him play in NRC as yes had speed to burn.

Pity he could not crack a Super Rugby development spot as he looked like he had some great potential.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes Godwin in NRC has shown nothing to warrant being in the test mix. Hopefully at the Brumbies he rediscovers the form in the early years that had him tagged as an exciting young prospect.

Now a mid 20 something journey man.

Amazing what a couple of years being coached by Michael Foley can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.