• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Scotland, Murrayfield, Sun 30th Oct, 3.30am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Derpus: I understand your attitude and sympathise with it. I bet he goes well against us. He is eligible under the current rules due to family.

Question, If you were not wanted by your country and had the opportunity would you turn it down?
The self interest argument doesnt track. Rules exist to curb self-interest.

If WR (World Rugby) are saying that a player can miss selection for a couple of seasons, spit the dummy like a little fucking bitch and move unions then my response is you are making rugby less interesting.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Whilst I sympathise with the angst felt towards losing players to other tier 1 nations, I'm not sure how it makes the game less interesting.

This is the natural evolution of the sport, rugby is struggling for market share, the best players need to be playing the game at the highest level. If anything, these types of matchups could turn into a promotors dream. Imagine if Dempsey was ever made captain of Scotland.

"Past Wallaby not wanted by his country to captain Scotland against the Aussie's in RWC Semi-Final"

That shit sells tickets.
I mean - presumably 'test' rugby is still about the best players from each country testing each other.

Not sure what it means for Japan to win the world cup with 12 former Aussies, Kiwis and Saffas who have all changed eligibility for some sweet sweet yen. But i'm sure it would be 'great for the game'.

If you wanna turn it into some glorified club comp I'm out.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Apart from trying to curry favour with particular rugby journalists, is there any justification for announcing Hooper will start 24 hours before the team is announced? If Hooper can be announced Wednesday, why not everyone?

And the excuse of drumming up interest? I call bullshit.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apart from trying to curry favour with particular rugby journalists, is there any justification for announcing Hooper will start 24 hours before the team is announced? If Hooper can be announced Wednesday, why not everyone?

I'm not sure there's any currying favour with any particular rugby journalists, as this practice of revealing one of the player selections in advance to everyone has gone on throughout the year...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

rugby content for wednesday

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It's interesting because I don't think the Wallabies have any long term captain candidates currently in their midst, well at least not on this tour. I imagine Hooper will have some opportunity as captain when/if Slipper comes off the field at times.
AAA followed by McReight looks like the next 8 - 10 years covered I think. In all the feel good about Michael Hooper returning, it has been mentioned plenty of times in the past that he has been one of, if not the most, losing captains the Wallabies and fans have endured. It will be a good move all round if he continues to avoid the captaincy.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
AAA followed by McReight looks like the next 8 - 10 years covered I think. In all the feel good about Michael Hooper returning, it has been mentioned plenty of times in the past that he has been one of, if not the most, losing captains the Wallabies and fans have endured. It will be a good move all round if he continues to avoid the captaincy.
And we continued to lose in his absence.

Almost like some other factors might have been at play...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Allan Ala'alatoa is almost certainly the Wallabies only ever tight head prop to have played over 50 tests with a winning record of less than 50% and you want to make him captain.

It's a pretty pointless argument.

Given the trajectory of the team over the last few years, players who have been regulars have some of the worst modern Wallaby records.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
McReight is the logical next long term skipper after the RWC. He has played very well with limited opportunity and will only get better.
What time will we get the team?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fun fact, if the Wallabies made the semis in 2019, Dempsey would be ineligible for this match. (Assuming he was selected in the 23 for the 3rd playoff)

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
McReight is the logical next long term skipper after the RWC. He has played very well with limited opportunity and will only get better.
What time will we get the team?

I just checked Hooper's age and he actually turns 31 on the day of this Scotland game. He could still have a few more years of test rugby in him so no guarantee McReight is taking that spot in the near future

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I just checked Hooper's age and he actually turns 31 on the day of this Scotland game. He could still have a few more years of test rugby in him so no guarantee McReight is taking that spot in the near future
He could. But I think its far more likely that WC2023 will be his international swansong and he'll maybe do something in Japan after that, for two years or less. The guy has climbed just about every mountain available, I've lost count of the JE medals won, what more is there for him to do?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
In all the feel good about Michael Hooper returning, it has been mentioned plenty of times in the past that he has been one of, if not the most, losing captains the Wallabies and fans have endured. It will be a good move all round if he continues to avoid the captaincy.
Phark BR, imagine saying the same dribble about Alan Border.............

Status
Not open for further replies.