• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sorry to be blunt but the crowd for the Fiji test in Canberra was just poor. They had a chance to embrace that game and they didn't. Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth are all more deserving of the chance to host it.

That game probably should have been on a Sunday afternoon as this one is. Looked fucking freezing.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
We wont know before closer to the game; though you could call the ARU and let us know if they know anything at the minute.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
That game probably should have been on a Sunday afternoon as this one is. Looked fucking freezing.

It was. I think thats why the crowd didnt get too into it. I know its why I couldnt stop shivering long enough to do anything.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It was. I think thats why the crowd didnt get too into it. I know its why I couldnt stop shivering long enough to do anything.

No doubt it was freezing cold. I came down from Darwin and handled it ok so I have a bit of trouble buying into that excuse. The lack of crowd is what dissipointed me. The irony for me was having a stubby cooler to keep your hand warm instead of your beer cold.

D

Dimism

Sorry to be blunt but the crowd for the Fiji test in Canberra was just poor. They had a chance to embrace that game and they didn't. Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth are all more deserving of the chance to host it.

There was a bigger crowd for that match in Canberra against Fiji than there was in Perth for Aus Barbarians against England that year in Perth. I distinctly remember, because Growden was having a whinge, so I checked the stats.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Absolute rubbish.

How is Adelaide more deserving? How in what way is Adelaide more deserving of hosting a test match?

It was against Fiji on a bitterly cold Canberra winter night.

Not many people want to brave the icy Bruce Stadium climate to watch an average Australian team flog Fiji.

Sydney probably wouldn't have even got a much bigger crowd for that match.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Manu Samoa head coach Titimaea Tafua has today announced a preliminary 25-man squad to visit Australia for the one-off Castrol Edge Rugby Test against the Qantas Wallabies at ANZ Stadium on Sunday July 17. With two pool matches still to be played in the Pacific Nations Cup, the Samoan squad will arrive in Sydney in two groups.

The first contingent of 15 players will arrive on Sunday following the Pacific Nations Cup Test against Rugby World Cup pool opponents Fiji in Suva, with the entire squad to assemble on Thursday, the day after their final PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) match against Tonga.

Crusaders halfback Kahn Fotuali’i will join the squad immediately after the Super Rugby final against the Queensland Reds at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

Two other members of the squad have featured in Super Rugby this season, captain Mo Schwalger was hooker at the Highlanders while Anthony Perenise played prop for the Hurricanes.

During his time at the Crusaders, Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans had six of the players under his tutelage - prop Sakaria Taulafo, flyhalf Tusi Pisi, fullback Paul Williams – son of All Blacks great Bee Gee Williams, hooker Ti’i Paulo, halfback Lualua Vailoaloa and playmaker Fotuali’i.

James So’oialo, who is the younger brother of former Hurricanes captain Rodney So’oialo, has been included in the squad, while Leicester winger Alesana Tuilaga and Tasesa Lavea - ex Melbourne Storm, Northern Eagles, Blues and now Clermont player - also features.

Samoa beat Japan 34-15 in Tokyo in their opening match of the Pacific Nations Cup tournament, they play Fiji on July 9 and Tonga on July 13.

The Samoan team to play the Wallabies will be announced on Thursday at 1pm ahead of an Open Training Session which will be held from 2pm-4pm at Granville Oval.
Manu Samoa touring squad:

Forwards: Sakaria Taulafo, Mahonri Schwalger (captain), Anthony Perenise, Daniel Leo, Kane Thompson, Taiasina Tuifu'a, Maurie Fa'asavalu, George Stowers, Ti’I Paulo, Logovi’I Mulipola, Filipo Levi

Backs: Lualua Vailoaloa, Tusiata Pisi, Sailosi Tagicakibau, Seilala Mapusua, George Pisi, Alesana Tuilagi, Paul Williams, Brenton Helleur, Tasesa Lavea, Eliota F Sapolu, James So’oialo, Timoteo Iosua, Kahn Fotuali’i

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I'd like to hear you pronounce those names Lance..Other than Paul Williams

So would I? Although I do have some experience at this sort of stuff C/- of my having lived in NZ for a brief period of time. Every second footy player over there seemed to be Polynesian.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Not a bad squad. Alot of Aviva Cup experience in the squad. They will still be pushing shit up hill to even get close. Their World Cup squad will improve though with the non selection of a few. I wish Manu Tuilagi hadn't thrown his lot in with England, he would be awesome to see as well.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
With TPN a confirmed non-starter for the 3N and S. Fainga'a likely to be rested after the Super final the door is open for another Hooker to be be capped off the bench in this game. I feel it will be CHarles as he has trained with the Wallabies in the past and Deans, as I have said all year will not deviate too far from his tried and tested regardless of Super form.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I watched half of Japan vs. Samoa in the Pacific Nations Cup, and it was an extremely dour match of Rugby. Basic skills, like passing/catching/kicking were not to be seen, with both sides throwing wild passes to nobody and making dumb mistakes. I have a feeling the Wallabies will smash them, even without the Reds.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The absence of TPN for a while is not a good thing but with problems come opportunities. I don't know who has been training with the Wobs during the week but with the Reds forwards likely to be rested you'd think that Charles would get the bench spot.

Kepu will likely be on the bench if he comes through the weekend game for Randwick but who will partner Fat Cat? It will probably be Alexander but I'd like to see Greg Holmes get a start because he has had a light season.

Horwill will be rested but who to partner Sharpe? Probably Mumm but a left field selection would be interesting - or at least Pyle or Timani (if available) on the bench would be a nice surprise.

At scrummie Genia should be rested but Phipps on the bench would be great. No doubt Giteau will start at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 to rest QC (Quade Cooper) plus AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 but who the replacement centre, if any?

Davies has also had a light playing schedule and should start on the wing and ditto for Digby.

So injuries and having to rest key Reds players is not ideal to perform well but like in other things in life: in adversity there can be serendipity.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
Absolute rubbish.

How is Adelaide more deserving? How in what way is Adelaide more deserving of hosting a test match?

It was against Fiji on a bitterly cold Canberra winter night.

Not many people want to brave the icy Bruce Stadium climate to watch an average Australian team flog Fiji.

Sydney probably wouldn't have even got a much bigger crowd for that match.

Yep, and got 22k to the game against Italy the year before. If the ARU ever decides we are worthy enough to host a decent opponent it would be a sell-out.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Just a few selections i'd like to see:

Timani - 4
Charles - 16
McCabe - 21

Assuming Horwill and Simmons will be rested while Sharpe starts, i doubt Timani will be selected ahead of Wykes, Pyle and Vickerman.
Not saying he doesn't deserve a spot, but bench at best, especially considering the year Sam Wykes had

W

waves

I would be equally as happy with Wykes getting a run.

During the week the final few Tight 5 sessions included players ; (might not have everyone)

Props: A. Baxter , L. Weeks , B. Alexander , S. Kepu , S. Maafu , B. Robinson , P. Cowan , R. Blake

Hookers: N. Charles , S. Siliva , S. Moore

Locks: D. Vickerman , S. Wykes , H. Pyle , N. Sharpe , D. Mumm

* QLD Reds Inclusions - J. Horwill , S. Fainga'a , J. Slipper , R. Simmons

* Injuries - T. Polota - Nau

Take your pick for the starting Tight 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.