• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am not excusing the loss, quite the opposite in fact. It's Deans job to put 15 players on the field with a game plan to win games and Elsom to right the ship once it starts going pear shaped on the field.

The 15 players selected were good enough to beat Samoa but there had to be allowance for the fact there was few combinations, some players out of position and a few players short of a gallop in the 15 (and in the 22 for that matter). For once, I think our game would have been better served by some more box kicks and kicking in general to stop the Samoans charging out of the line and overcommitting into the ruck and to get their big boys to cover more miles. That would have also allowed us to use the speed advantage we had on the wings. The other problem was our forwards played like a group of 8 players rather than as a pack. Too frequently isolated, few offloads, too many hitting the ruck one out with others holding back. ITs a common problem for the men in gold.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Being at the game, this was my view.

Samoa's forwards were awesome. There was one play where we were attacking on their line, one of our backs was isolated for one second, and the Samoan forwards drove straight over. Another factor is that the players just didn't seem to know what they were doing, as if the concept of playing rugby was entirely new to them. The scoreboard actually flattered the Wallabies, there were many times where Samoa could have scored through catch and pass, but a wrong decision was made.

Knowing the Sydney crowd, I was surprised we didn't hear a repeat of the Tahs V Cheetahs chorus of boos.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Listening to the boos when Giteau was lining up for a penalty later in the game I thought there must've been more Samoans in the crowd than Aussies or maybe thats just how it sounded watching it at home thru tv.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Listening to the boos when Giteau was lining up for a penalty later in the game I thought there must've been more Samoans in the crowd than Aussies or maybe thats just how it sounded watching it at home thru tv.

you never hear anything out of a Sydney crowd and it pisses me off.

Bill McLean (32)
I Concur!!

Mark, the problem is that it wasn't a team of debutants, there was quite a healthy mix of experience and rookies, quite a few who played today are expected to be involved come the RWC which is the worrying aspect

I couldn't agree with you more!

I hope I am wrong, but it seems as if Australia is not going to have a rewarding World Cup. The match against Samoa has once again exposed Australia's lack of depth in it Rugby ranks!

Unless we change the current rugby structures within Australia (from the grass roots upwards) we will contnue to struggle for depth and therefore forever roam aimlessly in the rugby wilderness!

Nevertheless, let's give credit where credit is due, and that is to the mighty 'BONE CRUNCHING' Samoans!

Regards,
Newbie.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is it just me, or did Pat McCabe look exactly like Tom Carter out there? Hit up all day, rarely missed a tackle, was solid.

Eh. Haters gonna hate.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Well played Samoa. Swarming defense that clobbered, and good tactical play reflecting professional rugby experience.

Sure was a good reminder of the gulf between super rugby and test rugby. I confess I didn't have an issue with the concept of blooding the team and trying an alternate backline. I don't think many of us did. We have five games between now and the RWC.

As for our performance... Hard for the backline to be imposing when the whole team is going backwards - at speed! There was a distinct lack of spine, and as pointed out elsewhere we got that warning vs England last year.

For me the standout forwards were Elsom, McCalman and Vickermann. Similarly McCabe made some impressive hits in defense, and gained advantage ball in hand. Where was the rushing support for our ball carriers? And
why didn't we have more of them, or rather ones who don't drop the ball?

Re individuals, heres my cheap 2cents;

Sharpe – surprised he didn't have more impact. Loved the spray he gave.
Timani – dropped the ball a few times. He got a lesson in the step up that is Test Rugby today.
Elsom – actually I was pretty pleased with his game, ditched the rust fairly quickly. Looking to him to have a blistering game next week, we need it.
McCalman – As stated above, showed real presence.
Phipps – got off to a sound start, some crisp passes, if slightly high. Got a lesson in Test Rugby. Lack of variation, but he did set one try up - benefit of the doubt his dummy pass was intentional ;)
Giteau – As a player, very good indeed given some space. As a linchpin in our backline? Hopeless. Can't go up the guts, but can't set up other players on the run either. Feel bad saying it of such an amazing player with huge work ethic, but I saw nothing today to tell me he's a playmaker - and I continue to have difficulty with him playing off Cooper.
McCabe - some good hits, and broke the gainline multiple times (like Elsom) only to have a lack of support.
Davies – Welcome to Test Rugby. Couple of poor decisions, which put me in mind of Guildford in the final actually. I think the critics are being unduly harsh here, a bit like Phipps. Pretty tired of seeing Wallabies fall over though.
Ioane – did fine.
Gerrard – am afraid Williams just gave him a pretty brutal lesson in playing FB at Test level.
Vickerman – happy with what he brought in, made more impact than Sharpe today.
Genia – enough said.
Robinson – Welcome to Test Rugby. Did not play with the marauding impact he has for the Reds.
Higginbotham - pretty good seagull efforts.
Beale – enough said.

Conclusion - Forwards need a hard look at themselves today. When they did retain the ball and drive it up they made a dent, albeit while getting clobbered. Backline coordination woeful. Samoan play impressive, especially in the last 20 when all thought they'd die - can't wait to see them play the Saffas at RWC.

Last point in parting - there is an irony to some of the names being tossed around this thread given the Munster game last year. The squad just got another brutal lesson. Here's hoping we all 'profit' from it and everyone has forgotten today's performance come November.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Turner doesn't have mediocre form. He was pretty poor in the middle of the season but his last 3 games were very good.

I think average would have been a better average. I'd have no problems with him getting a go.
He has never let anyone down for the Wallabies (from memory).

Reactions: Ash

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Davies deserved a chance, and got it. He did well under the high ball in the wet, but struggled otherwise. There's no more tests for Davies to get another shot before the 3N, so EOYT he should get another shot, midweek and against a weaker side. Turner should be above Davies for the 3N and the WC, unless Turner also puts in an average or poor performance.

D

daz

Gagger mentioned above that the sickness had creeped back. I agree, the main thing that shits me with the Wallys and the biggest thing they can learn from today and from the reds is enthusiasm, there was none, they went out there to paint by numbers and that's why it is embarrassing.

Not having a go, but isn't that the same attitude some of the players from non-finals teams displayed all year? That apathy needs to be knocked out during Wobs camp.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
you never hear anything out of a Sydney crowd and it pisses me off.

I honestly don't know what's going on with Sydney Supporters. Completely drowned out by what looked like 100 or so Samoans at the ground. Man up guys, come on! Half of home ground advantage is the fact that your supporters should be there baying for the oppos blood.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Not having a go, but isn't that the same attitude some of the players from non-finals teams displayed all year? That apathy needs to be knocked out during Wobs camp.

Not all year, but in a part yes, get what your saying.

There just seems to be this thing were the wallabies are professional, they don't look like they have fun at all. Maybe during the week they can go to the zoo and have a picnic or something and enjoy themselves as a group and it might just be reflected in the performance

T

TheNextBigThing

Davies deserved a chance, and got it. He did well under the high ball in the wet, but struggled otherwise. There's no more tests for Davies to get another shot before the 3N, so EOYT he should get another shot, midweek and against a weaker side. Turner should be above Davies for the 3N and the WC, unless Turner also puts in an average or poor performance.

On the basis of today's game and with the expectation that drewster will return for RWC, higginbotham might actually be an option on the wing. It won't happen (quite rightly) but he was objectively the best winger we had out there.

Defending against infield kicking? He moves in to defend in the centre when quad drops back.

I don't have a problem with his work rate in the forwards but we could definitely use more muscle on the basis of today's match.

This post is only semi-serious. If we had an inbound tour before the 3N I'd be a staunch proponent.

B

Balls_SlanderandRuck

Just wanna clear a few things up living over here in the UK.

Samoa's squad is actually top class in most positions. They have most of their XV spread around the top clubs in Europe. Alessana Tuilagi is Leicesters mascot almost, he's the figurehead for one of europes top clubs, Henry Tuilagi is one of the most consistent backrow forwards. Manu tuilagi is one of the most exciting backs in europe. The team is full of top level exposed players, just many people don't hear about them who don't follow Europes competitions.

Secondly, this Samoa team has been getting stronger, mainly due to the connection between europe and the country's talent/rugby clubs. They ran Wales close in Cardiff in 2009, they nearly pulled off a victory against Ireland in 2010, and unfortunately this aussie team was on the recieving end of a Samoa win. Samoa are starting to come alive.

Now, even with that in consideration, these guys hardly ever play together, so a Wallaby third string team should of got a win. Thats no disrespect to Samoa, its realism given that Australia has 5 S15 sies, and albeit only two of them really shone this year - you'd expect more from second ranked nation in the world, and even their third worst S15 side isn't bad quality wise, its more utilisation.

Deans must make sure the team reacts correctly to this result. Because if they go sour like Ireland did in 2007, where the team lost to Scotland then the Argies twice which were shock results for the second ranked team in the world back then. Nice similarities eh? Didn't go too nicely for the side in the WC, but theres loads of theorys for that.

T

TheNextBigThing

Deans must make sure the team reacts correctly to this result. Because if they go sour like Ireland did in 2007, where the team lost to Scotland then the Argies twice which were shock results for the second ranked team in the world back then. Nice similarities eh? Didn't go too nicely for the side in the WC, but theres loads of theorys for that.

Ireland was ranked #2? I had no idea. No disrespect meant but that is quite a surprise.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just wanna clear a few things up living over here in the UK.

Samoa's squad is actually top class in most positions. They have most of their XV spread around the top clubs in Europe. Alessana Tuilagi is Leicesters mascot almost, he's the figurehead for one of europes top clubs, Henry Tuilagi is one of the most consistent backrow forwards. Manu tuilagi is one of the most exciting backs in europe. The team is full of top level exposed players, just many people don't hear about them who don't follow Europes competitions.

Secondly, this Samoa team has been getting stronger, mainly due to the connection between europe and the country's talent/rugby clubs. They ran Wales close in Cardiff in 2009, they nearly pulled off a victory against Ireland in 2010, and unfortunately this aussie team was on the recieving end of a Samoa win. Samoa are starting to come alive.

Now, even with that in consideration, these guys hardly ever play together, so a Wallaby third string team should of got a win. Thats no disrespect to Samoa, its realism given that Australia has 5 S15 sies, and albeit only two of them really shone this year - you'd expect more from second ranked nation in the world, and even their third worst S15 side isn't bad quality wise, its more utilisation.

WOuld that be in how they reacted to England on the Spring tour last year or the EOYT tour last year, or the Scots the year before that or the Irish? What about the record loss to the Saffas and the record loss to the ABs. Deans certainly has some records that no coach will be eager to take from him.

T

TheNextBigThing

WOuld that be in how they reacted to England on the Spring tour last year or the EOYT tour last year, or the Scots the year before that or the Irish? What about the record loss to the Saffas and the record loss to the ABs and the record loss to England. Deans certainly has some records that no coach will be eager to take from him.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
So there have been a lot of comments about Rod Davies being too small for test Rugby against 100kg+ wingers. If Robbie Deans also feels this way then what happens with JOC (James O'Connor)? On the ARU website they are both listed at 88kg.

Will this make JOC (James O'Connor) a super sub who will switch between 10 and 15 with the ability to play 11,12 and 14 if required?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

The Force showed fantastic spirit all year, losing many games to much more fancied opposition at the last gasp. The Rebels also showed a lot of grit and did extremely well to win as many games as they did in their first year of Super rugby. The only team that bottled it was the Brumbies. I think you might have koala coloured glasses on.

Status
Not open for further replies.