• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v France 3rd Test - 21 June Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
French might have a crack at the lineout this week too as they're all going to Simmons again.

The silly fuckers haven't woken up to the fact that Simmons likes to call himself as often as possible so far. Which I find surprising.

But if they want to crowd Simmons, then fine. Palu and Fardy can clean up the other ball, and Skelton just stands at the front being a threat all on his own.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to big Will, Rob Horne and Scott Sio.

Hopefully we will have a big lead early and the bench get a good 20 minutes (or longer).

I will be very interested to see the pack perform with Palu and Skelton together bending or breaking the line, giving us front foot ball for the backs to do their shit. Want to see them run run and run and only kick the stuffin out of the ball from our own 22.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like the team. really excited to see what Skelton has to offer in terms of impact. If he's anonymous he'll probably go to the back of the queue, but I don't expect him to be. I think this will be the start of an impressive test career for big Will.

Last week was an exercise in no risk, safety first rugby to win the series. It made sense to start with Horwill and with a grind in mind it made sense to give Jones, a work horse, the first shot on the bench. But I don't think that means Jones is ahead of Skelton in the pecking order as some people have suggested. Out of Carter/Skelton/Horwill/Jones each offer something different. Carter was chosen as a workhorse and proved he is worthy of playing that role for the wallabies. Skelton was chosen for his physicality and will have to show whether he can bring that at test level. I expect he will. Horwill was considered our best for so long because he offers a combination of those attributes (workrate / physicality). He doesn't seem to be quite as physical these days (although he has his moments) so Skelton's stocks rise as a result.

In any event, I like the options we are building. Link can go with Carter (pure workrate) or Skelton (muscle). And I think Horwill is very well suited to a bench role at this stage of his career/form (i.e. can cover 4 and 5, can run a line-out, experienced, has the work-rate, can be physical, good maul defence, etc). Not yet sure where Jones fits into the picture. I know some people are saying he would be considered simo's back up, but I'd probably say Horwill is Simo's back up at this stage.

The changes to the bench were pretty much as expected (Sio and Horne in).

Also for those upset that Hodgson didn't get a run, it was never necessary for us to have a back-up 7 for this series and Hodgson would have know from day 1 that Link didn't intend to use him. Hodgson was brought into the squad for long term reasons, as he will at some stage be used during the year (possibly not until the EOYT tho) and needs to know the ins and outs of the team if he is required.

Finally I must comment that this is probably the most intimidating wallabies pack I have seen for some time. TPN, Palu and Skelton are all capable of upping the physicality. I have no worries in us matching the French in terms of aggression. We must be accurate tho

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well said BDA. I'm chuffed for Big Will to get a start and hope he does well. We may have a young group of locks but bloody hell they look exciting. Physical too. What excites me is the potential mongrel and go forward this group has. With that kind of go forward around the park I'm hopeful we can start to match up well with some other big packs around the world.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As part of their promo stuff leading in to this weeks match, Dove Men are going to be interviewing the Wallabies Strength & Conditioning coach Scott Murphy.

They've asked for people to submit questions on twitter so have at it:

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Bringing Skelton in is a marketing masterstroke. Awareness of him is on the up and he will bring another level of interest to the game.

I think Jones probably deserved a crack from the bench, but can understand why Horwill's there.

If only Timani had hung around with the right attitude. Imagine those two lumps locking down the scrum. Push over tries for everyone, arriba!

(and yes I know we wouldn't have any line out jumpers and two locks who would be stuffed after 50mins, but its just a fun idea, go with it)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It's pretty odd that Simmons is the only full-time lock lineout caller in Australia. The Rebels, Brumbies and Tahs each have a backrower doing it and the Force have a Saffer. Assuming Carter/Fardy will be the locking combination next year for the Brumbies wonder which one will call.

Wykes calls at the Force.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Also for those upset that Hodgson didn't get a run, it was never necessary for us to have a back-up 7 for this series and Hodgson would have know from day 1 that Link didn't intend to use him. Hodgson was brought into the squad for long term reasons, as he will at some stage be used during the year (possibly not until the EOYT tho) and needs to know the ins and outs of the team if he is required.

Long term reasons also being to fire up Gill a bit and make him earn his spot back.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Might have happened if Moore stayed healthy

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That's a great Wallaby side. I'm really enjoying the lead up to matches without the aggravation of left-field selections and blokes playing out of position.

I'm not going to open the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 can of worms; the guy is a jet and will dominate on the wing too.

I haven't read the whole thread but was McCabe's injury worse than a stinger, or is Horne in as a squad rotation?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I haven't read the whole thread but was McCabe's injury worse than a stinger, or is Horne in as a squad rotation?

The ARU media release said it was a nerve compression injury to his shoulder and he was unavailable for selection this week.

Sounds like a fancy description of a really nasty stinger.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Think McCabe's injury was listed on the last page - neck compression. Last thing that bloke needs is more neck trouble!

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Nerve compression not neck compression. Basically he took a heavy knock that has made a piece of nerve in his shoulder angry and it takes a week or two for the sensation and strength to come back as I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.