• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v France 1st test - Suncorp 7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The only real surprise to most on this site other than Genia (which was leaked anyway) is that Sio and Higgers are not on the bench.

Sio a victim of workload and Higgers, the mistakes. Cowan is a good choice based on his 2014 form. Go Pek

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd add Slipper to the list of settled starters.

Not at all surprised that Cowan got chosen on the bench ahead of Sio. Cowan seems to be like a fine wine, like all good props. He's better than he was during his last stint for the wobs. more experienced, older wiser and more technically sound. I'm very happy for him. Really got thrown to the wolves by Deans, playing as a Hooker/prop-hybrid or some bullshit.

To be honest I couldnt tell you whether Carter over Jones is a good or bad decision. They've both had their moments this season. I'll trust link's judgement on that.

Also there are too many Tahs in this team!!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can understand the sentiment but do not agree with it. If the guys picked for the first two tests get 2-0 up they should definitely not be rewarded with getting dropped.

I'd be more looking to do it over the course of the series rather than wholesale changes for the third test.

You could easily give Sio a go at least off the bench. TPN can play two of the three tests and Charles can get a crack off the bench for a debut in the third.

McCalman could start a test and have Higgers on the bench to give Palu a rest. Managing Palu's workload is particularly important in the interests of hoping he's still healthy for the RWC next year.

Carter could start 2 tests and Jones the 3rd. Skelton could come off the bench in the second test etc.

I'd definitely like to see one test where AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays 13 and we have a new winger. I think we'd be missing a trick if we didn't play the form Aussie 13 at 13 before the Rugby Championship.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I know we all keep saying it, but isn't it fucking great to be excited about the Wallabies again? This team has some serious promise and I'll back Foley and White to tear it up. Phippsy to run rings around the frogs in the second half and Hooper/ Fardy to tear them a new one at the ruck.​
Backing Folau for a few more tries and the Honey Badger to bag some meat off Foley inside balls. To'omua and Kuridrani to enjoy the distribution skills of Foley.​
Palu and the tight five to bring their ball playing skills and link well with the backs whilst providing fire power and work rates across the field.​
Should be a bloody good series.​

T

Train Without a Station

Carter was a surprise, but I originally backed him as a squad member over Skelton. He just didn't get much of a mention because he just goes about his business and does his job.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Re Higgers I think it's more than just the mistakes. In the second half against the Brumbies, when the game was long gone. Higgers actually pulled up his sleeves and got in an played some tight pick and drive rugby and for a moment reminded me of his form last year.

He has had problems this season injecting himself into the game in a positive way. Too often he has played wide and has failed to assist his team win the ruck, other times he has tried to get involved but his involvement was all over the place, dropped ball, silly penalties, poor technique at the ruck. He has plenty to work on. I'm probably contradicting my earlier posts, but perhaps the captaincy this year is effecting his focus. Hopefully he will benefit from playing a smaller roll in the wallabies set-up with some more experienced players around him.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'd definitely like to see one test where AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays 13 and we have a new winger. I think we'd be missing a trick if we didn't play the form Aussie 13 at 13 before the Rugby Championship.

I'd say we'll see it at some stage this Saturday (barring an injury otherwise)..Kuridrani off, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 and McCabe on.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
E2F9BB6A-8043-49E6-BFCC-DEC86EA82D43_zpsenhlv3aw.jpg

The Rise and Fall of the best scrum half in the world.

Thanks RG

(Bored,Waiting for my car to get serviced)

The boys will do a brilliant job on the crepe's this weekend

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
The Reds got three selections and they're worse than we are.

Perhaps you need to stand back and look why Jones wasn't picked. Putting him in instead of Horwill could mean that if Simmons went down, we'd have two inexperienced guys in a crucial position. There'd be no one to call the line outs and neither Jones or Carter know the line out and scrum systems the Wallabies used.

The Reds set pieces have been working pretty well this year and against a team who pride themselves on scrums, I don't think you want toe guys thrown to the wolves.

D

daz

The Reds got three selections and they're worse than we are.

Hmm. Are you sure about that Stu?

Australia

Pos.TeamPWLDFA+/-BnsPts
Waratahs 13 9 4 0 364 245 119 7 43
Brumbies 14 9 5 0 357 314 43 4 40
Force 13 8 5 0 274 283 -9 4 36
Reds 13 4 9 0 315 409 -94 7 23
Rebels 13 4 9 0 259 350 -91 5 21

Of the 2 Rebels picked for the Wallabies squad, neither of them have enhanced their selection over the last few weeks; Higgers especially.

For the Reds, Slipper and Simmons are expected. Horwill on the bench is fair enough. Possibly there could be an argument to put Jones in his place, but in all honesty, Link knows what he is getting with Horwill at Test level.

Jones will get his shot sooner rather than later, as will Higgers of course, but even I wouldn't put our lads in the Test team right now.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
These players from the wider Wallabies training squad of 32 missed out on test selection: Sio, Charles, Jones, Skelton, Higginbotham, Hodgson, Genia, Leali'ifano and Horne.

Without being unkind Charles and Hodgson are probably injury covers; they more than likely wouldn't've been picked if Hanson and Gill were fit for duty. Does anyone reasonably suggest they're good enough to be developed for RWC2015? That leaves seven, of whom Lilo could consider himself lucky to make the original 32, he really needs to show something on the training paddock to get a run this series. On his best form, he'd be in the 15, but not at the moment. To my mind there's no doubt Sio, Jones, Skelton, Higgers, Genia and Horne will get some game time over the next few weeks. This is the start of some excellent squad development for the RC and next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.