• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v France 1st test - Suncorp 7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cowan over Sio?

When link talked about the squad he mentioned Cowan's ability at defending mauls (he mentioned it a few times about different forwards) and the Force scrum under Foley has been rather good all season

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Maybe, when you look at the off-field shit, and disharmony in the squad over the past few seasons, the problem has been NOT picking guys like this?

Concur..I think we are seeing a cultural shift already which hopefully will reflect on the field, and then in turn through public interest in the sport..

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Ha! They are just displaying the team on the Fox Sports newsdesk:

"..Reserves: 16. Polau.."

Kinda shorthand I guess!

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Don't base you're view of one player on one single game or anything there DVH.

As for Horwill, he's not really an impact player. But no player who is a good lock is really an impact player. You'd have to go for somebody like a Skelton, where you sacrifice core duties to get a real impact.

Just being bitter, Horwill is a fine lock when firing so hopefully it clicks for him on Saturday. Think the team is very strong and players have been picked to perform roles instead of 'play what's in front of you' x-factor bullshit which is STILL a relief to see.

I imagine Jones is seen as a Loose Head / Back Row player instead of TH lock which is why Carter is starting over him. We are stacked with loosies that can play 6 and vice versa at the moment, not a bad problem to have.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully we get a good win in the first test so Link feels more adventurous in terms of giving Jones, Skelton and some of the other members of the squad a crack during the series.

Given that 20 of the 23 players in this matchday squad are in teams that are fighting for Super Rugby playoff spots it would be great to spread the load through this series with the thought that a lot of the players will have important Super Rugby games, potentially multiple finals and then be back for the Rugby Championship straight after.

T

Train Without a Station

DVH, I'm a massive fan of Jones. I just don't know where he fits in as a test lock. He doesn't quite have the size, style and physical impact of a TH Lock in the Horwill and Carter mould. Due to this he isn't quite as strong in the scrum either.

Then he doesn't have the line out ability to be a number 1 jumper, run the line out and make consistent steals, which makes him hard to play as a LH Lock.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Hopefully we get a good win in the first test so Link feels more adventurous in terms of giving Jones, Skelton and some of the other members of the squad a crack during the series.

Given that 20 of the 23 players in this matchday squad are in teams that are fighting for Super Rugby playoff spots it would be great to spread the load through this series with the thought that a lot of the players will have important Super Rugby games, potentially multiple finals and then be back for the Rugby Championship straight after.

Would be great to win the first 2, and then link could start a few débutantes in the third like Jones, Skelton, and also bring back Genia and try get him back to form etc.

T

Train Without a Station

The ladder doesn't agree with that Stu.

Anyway, you had 2 potential selections, 1 was uncapped and the other has struggled to cement his spot. Jones could be considered unlucky, though there's reasoning for why he didn't get picked too.

The onus was on Higgers to earn a spot. You'd need a massive amount of bias to say he did.

Reactions: BPC

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
DVH, I'm a massive fan of Jones. I just don't know where he fits in as a test lock. He doesn't quite have the size, style and physical impact of a TH Lock in the Horwill and Carter mould. Due to this he isn't quite as strong in the scrum either.

Then he doesn't have the line out ability to be a number 1 jumper, run the line out and make consistent steals, which makes him hard to play as a LH Lock.
Spot on, he could be another 'tweener' between a lock and a No 6.
We already have a good one of those called Fardy but Jones' time will come.

T

Train Without a Station

ILTW that's where I see him making his mark too.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

I can understand the sentiment but do not agree with it. If the guys picked for the first two tests get 2-0 up they should definitely not be rewarded with getting dropped.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I do agree, I always saw him as a 6 that could play lock in a pinch. He's just been shoe horned into lock at the rebels as there are too many back rowers that can't play lock and not enough regular locks either.

Probably next cab of the rank if anything happens to fardy or simmons though.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I few thoughts on the team.

- Good looking side. A team definitely picked on form which should make a lot of people on the forum very happy.
- The biggest omissions are definitely Genia and Higgers. Both would be in the starting line up if they were in top form. Hopefully its the wake p call they need. I imagine Link has spoken to them and told them what they need to do to get back in the side (Higgers needs to get through more work).
- Carter is a bit of a surprise. Hope he takes his opportunity with both hands.
- The line-out should be a strong area of our game.
- McCalman on the bench is not really a surprise as Link has said that the form of the force players would impact on selection. I assumed McCalman would get a bench spot.
- The inclusion of Ryan on the bench shows the poor state of our THP depth. He has been one of Australia's worst THP in the scrums this year. Not saying he wont become a good THP, but he needs a lot of work. Link desperately needs to blood a new THP on the end of year tour.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
1. Slipper
2. Moore (c)
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Foley
11. Cummins
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Cowan
18. Ryan
19. Horwill
20. McCalman
21. Phipps
22. Beale
23. McCabe

Good side. You can't really fault that side IMO.

It will be interesting to see what Link does in this series. I'm not sure he is settled on what his number one side is so will we see quite a bit of rotation for test 2 regardless of the result. THe bolded are who I think are settled as starters.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No Hodgson, bit disappointing.

However, I ain't going to complain because that is a bloody good side.

Status
Not open for further replies.