• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v All Blacks @ Suncorp - 18/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Luke Jones deserves a chance at the starting XV !!!!

My team:

1 James Slipper
2 Saia Fainga'a
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Luke Jones !!!
5 James Horwill
6 Scott Higginbotham
7 Michael Hooper
8 Wycliff Palu (if fit)
9 Will Genia (if fit)
10 Quade Cooper (if fit)
11 Henry Speight (if fit)
12 Godwin
13 Kuridrani
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Israel Folau

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Wholesale changes are neither required nor recommended..the poor showing at Mendoza was I believe primarily a function of the herculian defensive effort the previous week exacerbated by the tiring travel schedule..some very good signs emerged in the first 72 minutes of the Boks game despite never being able to get on the front foot.

Forwards: Simmo for Carter, Palu for Higgers
Backs: no change if To'omua is playing. If To'omua is out shift TK and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in one FOR THIS GAME ONLY. If Beale is allowed to play rotate him with Izzy at the back in attack & defence, otherwise Horne to play wing.

Genia & QC (Quade Cooper) to the bench

T

Train Without a Station

My team:

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley (Possibly Cooper - depending on if the coaching staff consider his physical and match fitness completely adequate)
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Israel Folau

16. James Hanson
17. Benn Robinson
18. Ben Alexander
19. Will Skelton
20. Scott Higginbotham
21. Nic White (Possible Genia - depends if the coaching staff consider he is less of a petulant twit than he has been)
22. Christian Leali'ifano (Or Foley if Cooper is fit)
23. Rob Horne

Speight has had recurring hamstring injuries so I would pick him to debut. I'm under the impression that Carter is injured, otherwise I'd have him on the bench possibly. Also assuming McCalman is out. I'm assuming Beale is fit and available, just not picking him.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Cooper is a confidence player, it would have adverse effects to put him in too early. I'd only put him on the bench for the last 20 minutes.

T

Train Without a Station

Cooper is a confidence player

He is. But by the Bledisloe he should have played 2 and a half games of NRC shouldn't he?

My thought is if he is capable to be picked on the bench, he is capable to start.

That surely will give the coaching staff and indication of where he is. The final decision in my view comes down to discussions and data that we are not privy too.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He is. But by the Bledisloe he should have played 2 and a half games of NRC shouldn't he?

My thought is if he is capable to be picked on the bench, he is capable to start.

That surely will give the coaching staff and indication of where he is. The final decision in my view comes down to discussions and data that we are not privy too.

Is 2 NRC games enough? I don't think it is. Can't compare that to the speed of Test rugby.

I get what your saying about if he's fit enough for bench he should be fit enough to start. I actually disagree with this, I think we should blood players returning form injury from the bench, they need to get the feel of Test rugby again and the bench is the safest way to do it. Yes there is a risk if Foley goes down in the first 5mins but it's a small risk IMO.

Plus, lets face reality, we are going to loss and we don't want Cooper being used as the latest escape goat for the loss.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Too early for Cooper, even on bench - for a variety of reasons.

However, I have Genia on the bench, and push White out altogether.

Horwill Simmo and Palu to start

To'omua looks out so maybe Lilo

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon the squad that will be announced (probably tomorrow) will have the same 23 that played in Mendoza plus Genia, Simmons, Cowan, Cooper, Beale, Palu, and Hanson.

Cooper might be in line for a bench spot if he plays well tonight in the NRC. I don't think there'll be a huge urge to rush him back though. Returning against the Barbarians off the bench a couple of weeks later seems more likely.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon the squad that will be announced (probably tomorrow) will have the same 23 that played in Mendoza plus Genia, Simmons, Cowan, Cooper, Beale, Palu, and Hanson.

Cooper might be in line for a bench spot if he plays well tonight in the NRC. I don't think there'll be a huge urge to rush him back though. Returning against the Barbarians off the bench a couple of weeks later seems more likely.

Having a decent 20minutes against the best team in the world could do wonders for his confidence though. Then I'd expect him to be firing come the beginning of the EOYT.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Having a decent 20minutes against the best team in the world could do wonders for his confidence though. Then I'd expect him to be firing come the beginning of the EOYT.

I think he'll join the squad and a decision will be made based on how ready he seems.

I agree that if he's good to go it will probably be good for him. If he's not quite ready it would probably be a step back.

The fact that we have a game against the Baa Baas a couple of weeks later which will probably be quite open and realistically we should win quite comfortably and it doesn't really count for anything seems like it could be used as an opportunity to bring back players from injury and give someone like Henry Speight their first taste of playing for the Wallabies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It works both ways though, having a shocker could put him back months.

I don't think it does work both ways which is why I think it's a great idea. Maybe an 80minute shocker would really hurt him but not a 20 minute one. I think he can brush off a poor bench performance. Alternatively if he does well and his shoulder goes well for 20 minutes he could gain a lot out of it. My 2 cents.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah I agree with the comment about Cooper being a 'confidence player'.

I think Foley should start at 10. I think its a bit tough on Cooper to put him on the bench and rely on him to win us the game in the closing stages, given that he has not had much involvement with the squad nor any recent games against top class opposition.

I agree with Braveheart, the Baa Baas game would be the perfect comeback -either starting at 10 or from the bench. That game will have a big match feel and will be played against strong opposition, but should be a bit more open and should allow Coops to get his confidence up.

I suspect Genia is probably ready and I'd like to see him on the bench because I'm not sure White is adding a hell of a lot on the bench atm. I'm sure the Kiwis would much prefer to see White on the bench than Genia.

If I was link I'd be toying with the idea of giving Skelton a start and letting him cut loose. Again, the Baa Baas game might be best suited for that. We need Skelton to continue to develop as a test player and I tend to think that players like Skelton (big physical players) are best used early in a test match to allow us to gain parity in terms of the forward battle. Robbie Deans used to use this approach with the likes of Timani, TPN and Palu all playing short stints in the first half and then being subbed off (one of the good things that Deans did imo).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I tend to think Palu will play but TPN won't be ready and they will wait until the EOYT.

This game will be six weeks post injury and it was reported he could be out for up to eight weeks at the time. Haven't heard a whole lot since really.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeh I presume TPN wont be considered, but I also presume he wont need surgery as I haven't heard anything about him missing the EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.