• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Game I

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Pretty pathetic the way both TYS & TSF posters start to get excuses ready if their teams loose before the ball is even kick off. Rebuilding my arse, this is it, 3 Nation time, everyone is using rebuilding but shite their pants when it come to Snor or the Springbokke. Rebuilding is just a excuse for a loser in test rugby.
So much better than whining about refs and judiciaries etc.afterwards, eh? I'm pretty sure Snor doesn't make anyone shite their pants, PB. Piss themselves laughing maybe!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
cyclopath said:
PaarlBok said:
Pretty pathetic the way both TYS & TSF posters start to get excuses ready if their teams loose before the ball is even kick off. Rebuilding my arse, this is it, 3 Nation time, everyone is using rebuilding but shite their pants when it come to Snor or the Springbokke. Rebuilding is just a excuse for a loser in test rugby.
So much better than whining about refs and judiciaries etc.afterwards, eh? I'm pretty sure Snor doesn't make anyone shite their pants, PB. Piss themselves laughing maybe!
Big difference between afterwards and before the kick off. Thats what I am trying to say. AFTER, AFTER., AFTER.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Whining is whining, PB, and I fail to see where the line defining moral high ground lies. Certainly not with Snor.
As for rebuilding it seems a simple concept. If a coach gets a team that has won stuff, and does stuff all with them apart from incomprehensible press conferences, he is in one position. If a coach gets a team that has won nothing, and has to instill a different playing style and team ethos, he is in another position. A rebuilding one.
That said, the blueprint Deans wants should be in place by now. They should be in a position to execute better than last year. If they don't, they're not good enough yet. If they do, then I guess he gets the kudos.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is the Aussies best chance of winning in NZ for a long time I think we can win but over the years have learnt that the Wallabies have this knack of letting you down when you think they've turned a corner.

I personally didn't think we'd win in Auckland last year but I'm confident we can win this year.

Aussies by 7

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Gagger said:
I'd say we're no longer re-building, but are still building.

No longer re-building because even under Connolly we were progressing both in terms of win % and Foley with the pack. That's two years of progress.

Still building though because of the youth and ideas still coming into the squad. I can't see us maintaining until after 2011

This could be splitting hairs (not a bad thing to do mind ;) ) but the upshot for me is that it's no more excuses on Saturday and an answer to "are we where we think we are".

About sums it up.

I'm not disputing the need for building phases. The reality is that every team will live through cycles. The Wallabies are on the upward curve. I just think they have gone beyond the point where you can say they are rebuilding based on the fact that the side has a very settled look about it now. There aren't;t too many things that Deans is still trying to find out. A year ago Deans wasn't sure about halfback, lock combo, the back 3. He seems to have figured those out now and he also knows who his best backups are.

The All Blacks somehow always have short cycles, if that makes sense. They always have good sides and hardly ever look like they are experimenting or need to. (Which has nothing to do with their inability to perform at World Cups which I think has become more of a psychological issue).

As for the Boks, I think we are at the top of that cycle for a bunch of reasons. The current squad came through the RWC, stuck around for the opportunity to play the Lions, and I think a few of these players may just be reaching a point where they have had enough and want to go hunt a big paycheck. They are about to lose a a big slice of the core and the backup is either inexperienced or unknown as we have seen a number of times now (Lions 3rd test was a disaster).

If the Boks don't win this 3N I predict they will in all likelihood not win it for another three years at least. They just won't have a settled enough outfit and there are way too many questions in key positions with the likes of Matfield, du Preez, JdV, Botha, Smit, Juan Smith, Fourie and a few others likely to retire or move o'seas some time soon.

In contrast, I see no potential retirements in the Wallaby squad other than maybe Mortlock? Bodes very well for the next World Cup and the timing could not be better.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Scotty said:
Blue,

You don't think a lot of those boys will stay around for 2011?

I would be surprised if they all did, unless hey feel that a title defense is enough if a draw card. Smit has said he will take it year by year.

Matfield wanted to come back from overseas for the Lions and now that it's over ha will be a huge target for o'seas clubs.

Botha tried to get out of his Bulls contract and failed. He will take a good offer once it expires next year.
JdV is a walking injury and must surely be thinking of cashing in before its too late. Same goes for Fourie these days. Both these guys value will drop with every injury.
du Preez - his body is being held together with duct tape. His shoulders are both fucked and his knees are buggered.

Most of these guys are still in their prime and can command top dollar right now. In two years time they wonlt get the same money.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i could see baxter and sharpie being question marks to stay on for 2011, but i think they'll make it there.

wallabies are settling at the right time as you say, adding pieces here and there but building a good base. is that base good enough to win the big games? we'll see, but they're there.

boks might be on the opposite side of that spectrum like you point out. could be several blokes leaving and need to fill those holes. i think if one or two go it might cause a mass exodus. they need to keep the all for one, one for all mentality if they're going to stay. but brussouw looks like a good start along with msteyn. and there's always the beast!!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Botha tried to get out of his Bulls contract and failed. He will take a good offer once it expires next year.
JdV is a walking injury and must surely be thinking of cashing in before its too late. Same goes for Fourie these days. Both these guys value will drop with every injury.
du Preez - his body is being held together with duct tape. His shoulders are both fucked and his knees are buggered.

Most of these guys are still in their prime and can command top dollar right now. In two years time they wonlt get the same money.

Not sure you can say they are in their prime if they are being held together with duct tape!! ;)

C

chriscullen

waratahjesus said:
i just want it in writing that i think robbie deans is overrated.
i say this again now so in two years when you all turn on him i can say i was first.

all blacks will win this and everyone will complain robbie doesnt have the personnel or he is rebuilding, as they will for the remainder of his contract. robbie deans has more excuses than eddie jones!

I agree and have also been saying so to anyone who will listen, Wayne Smith was the Crusaders coach when the Crusaders started their winning run,Deans was only manager. When he became head coach of Crusaders he already had virtually an All Black side to play with. Deans needs to improve the wallabies record this year or else he should be chopped.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Well, I guess that's two people in the world that think Robbie's shit!

With regards to the Boks, is it just me bewildered by the wrap they're getting?

They're definitely a good, very tough side to beat at home.

However, they've come last in the last two Tri-Nations, and won a World Cup without playing NZ or Aus.

Is this a Lions hype thing?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Gagger said:
Well, I guess that's two people in the world that think Robbie's shit!

With regards to the Boks, is it just me bewildered by the wrap they're getting?

They're definitely a good, very tough side to beat at home.

However, they've come last in the last two Tri-Nations, and won a World Cup without playing NZ or Aus.

Is this a Lions hype thing?

Yes that is a valid point but dare I say Australia was so poor in the World Cup I couldn't see them beat the Boks. The AB's would have been another matter but let's leave it at that.

I for one believe that one the balance of it, the Boks have actually not shown any degree of consistency form since the World Cup. Snor has chnaged game plans like the weather which hasn't helped.

I think the Media and fans overrate this Bok side. We are good, but this Tri nations will determine how good.

I don't think the Bosk will win it, but it's going to be damn close.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I don't think Wobbie is shit, I think he just might be over-rated as a the Rugby version of Jesus, and I also wonder if he won't lose the plot with the pressure. He was handed a good set up from Smiff, and he did get players bought through not only by himself. But he still had to build with that.
And that's where the Wobblies are now.

And the AB's are in the same position, building after rebuilding from last year.

I'll be in the stands tomorrow to see who is ahead at this stage. The absence of DC has leveled the field, but hopefully for NZ the forwards will be able to tip it the AB way for me.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Cheating fucking Kiwi weather. They'll probably have the sprinkers on as well.

Scorz said:
I don't think Wobbie is shit, I think he just might be over-rated as a the Rugby version of Jesus,

Whether he deserved the AntipoDeans aura or not (how many titles did they win with him in charge?), it's one of the most important things he brought with him, as it's provided the trust the players have in him (rather than what they think they know) and themselves.

As for "What have the Romans Robbie ever done for us":
  • Taught us how to catch and pass (see Video evidence below)
  • Reminded us how to run from deep, run straight and support
  • Taught us how to kick
  • Blooded how many new Wallabies?
  • Worked selection policy not based on reputation
  • Put a focus on the breakdown (admittedly work in progress)
  • Smashed the pommy scrum (almost enough on its own)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzyl7xdgZ-Q

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Blue said:

In contrast, I see no potential retirements in the Wallaby squad other than maybe Mortlock? Bodes very well for the next World Cup and the timing could not be better.

plenty of years left in the squad at the moment
rough guide to ages-
Alexander 25
Brown 25
Cowan 23
Elson 26 Horwill 24
Kimlin 24
Moore 26
Mumm 25
Pockock 21
TPN 24
Robinson 25

Ashley-Cooper 25
Barnes 23
Cooper 21
Genia 21
Mitchell 25
Oconnor 19
Turner 22

It will be interesting who will be captain in 5 years time, Moore will have a ton of games up by then and would be my pick to lead into 2015 WC

the future is looking great, the big question is are we up for it

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
naza said:
Its apparently wet and windy in Auckland still, after a week of rain. Bugger.
It's gale force winds where I am, within a half hour of Eden. And it pissed down all last night, although it has stopped now.

Kicking might come down to luck of the swirl, and handling will be the word of the day.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gagger said:
Cheating fucking Kiwi weather. They'll probably have the sprinkers on as well.

Scorz said:
I don't think Wobbie is shit, I think he just might be over-rated as a the Rugby version of Jesus,

Whether he deserved the AntipoDeans aura or not (how many titles did they win with him in charge?), it's one of the most important things he brought with him, as it's provided the trust the players have in him (rather than what they think they know) and themselves.

As for "What have the Romans Robbie ever done for us":
  • Taught us how to catch and pass (see Video evidence below)
  • Reminded us how to run from deep, run straight and support
  • Taught us how to kick
  • Blooded how many new Wallabies?
  • Worked selection policy not based on reputation
  • Put a focus on the breakdown (admittedly work in progress)
  • Smashed the pommy scrum (almost enough on its own)

Yeah they are definitely playing a better style of rugby

He does have a certain type of player he likes. The unpretentious hard working team player. That isn't a bad thing.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scorz said:
naza said:
Its apparently wet and windy in Auckland still, after a week of rain. Bugger.
It's gale force winds where I am, within a half hour of Eden. And it pissed down all last night, although it has stopped now.

Kicking might come down to luck of the swirl, and handling will be the word of the day.

Appreciate the report Scorz. And may I just add fuck, fuck, fuckedy fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.