• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm probably completely alone in this, but outside of his kicking I think White is a deeply average scrumhalf. But then I've been demanding week-in, week-out, that Phipps be dropped from the Rebels for the last three years, so I wouldn't have been particularly happy either way.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm probably completely alone in this, but outside of his kicking I think White is a deeply average scrumhalf. But then I've been demanding week-in, week-out, that Phipps be dropped from the Rebels for the last three years, so I wouldn't have been particularly happy either way.

I don't think he is 'deeply average', but I do think he is far from perfect.

He needs more of a running game to become a truly international 9, IMO. But I am looking forward to seeing how he goes off the bench.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't think he is 'deeply average', but I do think he is far from perfect.

He needs more of a running game to become a truly international 9, IMO. But I am looking forward to seeing how he goes off the bench.
Fair enough. I don't know what it is exactly. It's a bit like Breaking Bad for me - good, but not as good as the hype would have you believe.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well players get dropped and new coaches want new options

I will be interested to see where the props will be playing ie who will be the LHs and who will be the THPs?

Is Alexander still a THP? or are Slipper and Kepu rolling out there?

Because didn't we have all kind of issues with a certain coach last year with LHs the playing TH and visa versa?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
IMHO, Tomane is fucking lucky to be anywhere near that team.

The front rowers must have been training with the new scrum laws. perhaps this is the reason Benn was dropped out of the squad?

By removing the hit the scrum surely would favour a scrummager like Sio?

I had the same thought - but as looseheads both of them do their best work after the ball has gone in. The hit has very little to do with it unless you have trouble staying up (i.e. Alexander). Robinson wasn't quite as dominant as he had been in the last month of Super Rugby, but its still a pretty big call.

I would suggest Alexander. I was more referring to using the Lions to judge both Benns on how they would go at 1 is silly

You are correct, because Alexander didn't play at loosehead. But what he HAS done is play at THP all year. He was picked there to do a job, and got snotted by the Lions, putting our whole set piece at a disadvantage for the rest of the game when we couldn't get a penalty despite Kepu pooching Corbisiero at various points and failing to get joy out of Twoite.

Therefore Robinson @ 1 > Alexander @ 3
Kepu @ 3 > Alexander @ 3

As a motivational technique you would ordinarily expect this ploy to wear thin very quickly.

Especially as its not like Robinson will be around the Wallabies environment like he was at the Tahs, where Cheika could readily call him up in the probably event Tilse would fail.

I really really want to see Fardy starting!

So do I, but not in the second row. I want him free to smash people off the side of the scrum and harass the fuck out of halfbacks in tandem with Mowen.

Then, and ONLY then, we can discuss and debate his selection decisions.

SHUT DOWN THE FORUM FOR TWO YEARS!!! :)

What we haven't discussed yet is the game plan this all points to. The obvious one is speed, speed, and more speed. By having the props as Sio, Alexander, Slipper, and Kepu, it is clear McKenzie wants his Reds blueprint as the base plan for the team, but in this case has the happy coincidence of at least two players who can scrum to a decent level.

Getting around the park and running the smash and grab at set piece time is what its about, to try and keep the All Blacks off balance like, say, the Waratahs did to the Crusaders in the first half this year.

Expect the back row to be Fardy, Hooper/Gill, and Mowen, with toss of a coin between Douglas or Simmons partnering Big Kev.

Back line picks itself: Genia, Cooper, Cummins, Lilo, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau, Mogg. Need big boots and fast hands to keep the ball moving, with Lilo playing the straight man to Cooper's zany antics.

But Genia and Cooper had want to find some form, and quickly, if this is to come off.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
There are more Brumbies than Reds and the one Red most have an issue with Simmons is not a terrible call. Anae is NOT replacing Robinson. He is the third hooker and the only player lucky to be there.

Laughable that the team and Link is being written off due to one player being left out, it is hardly a howler. All the Reds fans were told to get over Quades omission from the Lions and get behind the team, I think some may need to heed there own advice.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Calling Fat Cats dropping interesting is the understatement of the month!

Let's keep in mind that McKenzie's a former wallaby prop himself so he at least has some idea of what's required in the role.

In the meantime let's keep the debate on why reasonably civilised :eek:

Be interesting to see if the real reasons come out from an unnamed source at the ARU.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There are more Brumbies than Reds and the one Red most have an issue with Simmons is not a terrible call. Anae is NOT replacing Robinson. He is the third hooker and the only player lucky to be there.

Laughable that the team and Link is being written off due to one player being left out, it is hardly a howler. All the Reds fans were told to get over Quades omission from the Lions and get behind the team, I think some may need to heed there own advice.

Who has written the team/link off??

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Lets see how the coach goes, he'll pick the best 15 as he see's it and out they'll go with a plan, the way he wants to play the game. I hope it goes well I would love nothing more than filling the umpty cupboard with trophies. But i think he will find that test rugby isn't the same as super rugby and the punishment dealt out for mistakes is harsh and there is nowhere to hide players like Cooper.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Who has written the team/link off??

On a mobile so can't find the exact posts that alluded to it. One questioned the whole appointment of McKenzie.

Anyone else surprised that Foley is still there? I'd have him 3rd choice 10 and maybe 4th choice 15. I rate him but think he is not ready and question his value in the 30. Maybe McKenzie is trying to let Quade know his ongoing selection isn't guaranteed .

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I love it how we are twisting and turning, trying to justify this selection.

I don't think anyone ever went this far trying to explain a Deans selection, it was just a 'shit call'. But now it is 'clearly he wasn't trying hard enough on the training paddock'.

The 'new scrum laws' is the only viable explanation IMO. You don't drop our only performing prop against the Lions because he recorded a dodgy beep test.

Fark baa baa ease up would you? He hasn't even named a team for the test yet and you are comparing this single questionable selection to 6 years of Deans' 'logic'. Give it a break hey? Let's see how they go because Robinson was hardly irreplaceable. I would say that considering he was once a prop himself, he probably knows a thing or two about selections. I don't agree with the decision because Robbo offers a heap of experience, but I think it is absolutely unfair to compare it to Dingo having a history of bad selections.

Let me rephrase your post to make it interesting.

"I love it how we are twisting and turning, trying to justify this selection.

People keep trying to explain a Deans selection when it was quite simply a 'shit call'. All this 'he can't defend, he can't take a tackle and he produces too many turnovers' is getting old.

The 'error rate' is the only viable explanation IMO. You don't drop our only performing and experienced flyhalf in Super Rugby because he had a bit of a whinge on the media."

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You won't be seeing much of him.
Genia has been carrying a knee problem recently.

I wouldn't mind seeing the backup scrumhalf getting some game time this year. Perhaps White won't see a lot in this first Bled - but it should be a goal as the season goes on.

The gap behind Genia is too big as it is. And it's not going to narrow unless the other guys get at least some reasonable time off the bench (either that or the Australia 'A' games I've been hoping for).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I see no writing off.
I see teeth gnashing and a whole lot of bitching but I reckon most people here are 100% behind Link.
Except me of course. His mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-prn1/945783_10151800092015731_1235713025_n.jpg
What is the nature of Beale's injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.