• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Ratings Post Samoa 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
1. Kepu - 4 held up his side of the scrum and drove forward a few times. 1 carry. Maul useless. Lifting Ok. Pack beaten. Pass at best
2. Moore - 5 scrum Ok only. Throwing good. Carried plenty for no metres. Maul useless. Pass at best.
3. Alexander - 3 got lucky in the scrum against a journeyman stood up three times on the drive and penalised twice. Did win three penalties in the scrum Cannot be regarded as first choice THP surely. Maul useless.
4. Timaini - 3 I am left wishing he had played for Tonga. He won't be playing much for Oz and I would have rathered see him play test match Rugby in the future. Poor hands and just didn't step up, was like Timani of 2008-2010.
5. Sharpe - 6 the only forward that made ground on attack. Enough said.
6. Elsom - 3 Not a captain's *&^&. A seagull. No impact at the rucks he hit so ball was slow and under pressure to Phipps. Cannot take all the blame for this but he is supposed to be the boss yet Sharpe does all the talking.
7. Hodgeson - 3 Penalised twice at ruck and basically had zero impact. Unable to secure clean ball on ours and no pressure on theirs.
8. McCalman - 3 as for Hodegson and Elsom with the added negative that he is supposed to be a ball carrier but failed to make the gain line. The Stats will show he made plenty of metres but none were on the + side of the gain line.
9. Phipps - 5 was at every breakdown and pass was generally accurate. Offered no threat of running but was on the backfoot 100% of the time. Would have been nice to see how he went with some front foot ball. Lucky to get a pass mark.
10. Giteau - 4 Mr Crab. Cramps the midfield at 10 and the wings at 12. Unless he can run straight and learn to offload and distribute so he draws defenders he is a liability. Tries very hard there can be no doubt but without somebody to create holes for him he has nothing to offer.
12. McAbe 7 - strong defence and strong running. If a crash ball centre is what you want he is a good choice. Offers little more but at least he does what he does well and reliably.
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - 3 like the rest of his season this year, no pace, no penetration. I wouldn't have him in the 22 TBH.
11. Ioane - 6 the only threat in the backline but he needs some space and didn't get it at all.
14. Davies 3 - two tries directly from his errors will haunt him. He is better than he showed but needs space to make things happen and against any good Test side he won't get that unless the pack is totally dominant.
15. Gerrard 1 - I still cannot unstand why he was selected. Deans doesn't play a territory based game plan (if there is one) and they were obviously under orders not to kick. Gerrard was never a speed machine and definitely isn't now, so kicking is the biggest strength of his game. Why have him there if not for that? A fish out of water that flopped about aimlessly.

16. Hanson - not used.
17. Cowan - not used
18. Vickerman 3 - hasn't played really in three years and it showed.
19. Robinson 5 - the pack was beaten when he came on but the Wallabies started to get a bit of faster ball once he came on and the Samoan counter-ruck stopped.
20. Higginbum 6 - made more ground than any other forward did in the whole game even if it was on the wing. Critics of the Seagulling should also look to the lead given in this by the Captain. If the pigs are going to get bashed in tight he cannot play wide. That being said a decent cameo that did lead to a try and almost a second.
21. Genia 7 - if he came on at 40 the Wobs might have had a chance. He started directing some attack, but it would have been a tall order for him to do it on his own.
22. Beale 7 - apart from the silly little chip kick again, was the only backline player to consistantly get over the gain line.

Coaching staff - ZERO. No real descernable plan yet again. Poor basic skills. Poor selections. Just a waste of yet another opportunity.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Turner wasn't on the bench. Higgers was.

Gerrard 1 is ridiculously harsh. As are your statements on Moore. Whilst your rating of Phipps is way over the top. He was very very poor. In fact there are many of your statements I find strange, such as Vickers? But, hey, this is an Internet forum, its made for people to have different opinions.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I was going to do my own ratings but then realized i pretty much agree with all yours. I reckon Giteau did alright, should be an option at 12 if we need him. There was obviously instructions for the 9 and 10 to play like tools. Passing around aimlessly.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Alexander 2/10
Davies 2/10
Phipps 4/10

Davies and Alexander were fucking pathetic. Hopeless.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Kepu - 5
Moore - 6
Alexander - 3
Sharpe - 6
Timani - 4
Elsom - 5
Hodgson - 3
McCalman - 6
Phipps - 3
Giteau - 4
Ioane - 5
McCabe - 5
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - 3
Davies - 2
Gerrard - 4

Beale - 7
Genia - 6
Higgenbotham - 7
Robinson - 3
Vickerman - 3

O

openside_tom7

15. Gerrard - 5 - was not terrible and cleared his lines well on a few occasions but was restricted in attack and missed a few tackles.
14. Davies - 3 - has probably blown his opportunity to play at the World Cup. Slipped over nearly every time he got the ball and could not handle the physicality. It may be a generalisation, but like Marto said, is not big enough for test rugby. However misfortune to some is fortune to others and we may see his more physical Reds teammate Luke Morahan in gold come September.
13. Ashley-Cooper - 5 - like Gerrard was not terrible but had limited chances to run. However he did tackle well.
12. McCabe - 7 - did his job in defence and straightened up the generally poor ball he had.
11. Ioane - 7 - ran well when he had to ball and did no harm to his resume. Scored a try as well.
10. Giteau - 5 - he did not have a bad game but it is evident that he is not a fly-half as he did not control the game very well. Bring back Cooper!
9. Phipps - 3 - another who may have lost his chance to play in New Zealand in 8 weeks. Distribution was poor, was unusually slow to the breakdown and made a stupid mistake which Paul Williams capitalised on to score Samoa's second try.
8. McCalman - 4 - his worst game in a Wallaby jersey, failed to get over of the gainline. While he made his tackles he did not give any presence whatsoever to the breakdown.
7. Hodgson - 2 - very disappointing from Hodgson. The back up openside flanker position will be a serious worry for Deans now as Pocock was dearly missed. Hodgson was turned over which led to the first try, had no impact at the breakdown at all and dropped off tackles.
6. Elsom - 5 - was slow to the breakdown, which was the main downfall of Australia today and does not seem to possess the qualities of captain. However did carry well and make his tackles. But this is another issue for Australia heading to the World Cup.
5. Sharpe - 6 - carried well and made his tackles. Probably the best forward for Australia.
4. Timani - 3 - if this game is an indicator, he is definitely not up to test standard and Australia have missed a trick by not picking either Hugh Pyle or Sam Wykes. Showed very poor hands, and looked quite off the pace. Very disappointing.
3. Alexander - 3 - did not get round the park like required, and while scrums went well, I believe he is definitely not first choice tight-head and with James Slipper coming back soon, it doesn't look to good for Ben.
2. Moore - 5 - lineouts went well and he carried well. Not disappointing from Moore, but certainly not what he has lived up to for the Brumbies this year.
1. Kepu - 5 - did not carry like we've seen for the Waratahs and while his scrummaging was okay, I believe there is much better to come from Kepu.

16. Hanson - not used.
17. Cowan - not used.
18. Vickerman - 3 - did not give any impact.
19. Higginbottom - 7 - carried well when he came on and this led to Giteau's try. Will probably start at eight against South Africa next week.
20. Robinson - 5 - he was better than Hodgson, although this was not difficult. Carried well, but conceded a stupid penalty at a critical stage.
21. Genia - 6 - much better service when he was on, but the damage was done by this stage.
22. Beale - 7 - gave impact and made some lovely runs, but like the case with Genia the team was beaten and there was nothing left.

Next week I would pick this team:

1. Sekope Kepu
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander (I don't think Slipper is back yet)
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill
6. Rocky Elsom (captain - this is an assumption)
7. David Pocock
8. Scott Higginbottom
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Matt Giteau
13. Pat McCabe
14. James O'Connor
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Ben Daley
18. Rob Simmons
19. Radike Samo
20. Nick Phipps
21. Anthony Fainga'a
22. Luke Morahan

McCabe deserves another shot, hopefully his straight running can be utilised. Ashley-Cooper can sit this game out I feel, because he isn't exactly the inform outside centre and I feel Fainga'a deserves a go as well. Adam will be back for the All Blacks game. Another change is having Morahan on the bench. I feel now with Rod Davies probably out of world cup contention it's time to look at Morahan, who is a physical player on the wing or full back. In the backrow it's time for Higginbottom to have a go, it's been a long time coming. I also feel that Giteau will play better at 12 and that O'Connor will figure in midfield at some point. Also notably on the bench is Radike Samo who I believe could be an excellent impact player for 20 minutes. What are you guys thoughts?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Am I the only one who thought McCalman played well? He made some hefty tackles and got over the gain line a few times. He wasn't in too many rucks but his workload looked to be alot higher than most of the forwards. Thought he justified his selection, but oh well.. thats me I guess.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Am I the only one who thought McCalman played well? He made some hefty tackles and got over the gain line a few times. He wasn't in too many rucks but his workload looked to be alot higher than most of the forwards. Thought he justified his selection, but oh well.. thats me I guess.

I thought he was OK, he carries too high, but showed more urgency than most. Certainly better than Hodgson. Too many forwards are being told to play "loose", it seems, and when the oppo decides to bash 7 shades of kaka out of you at the breakdown, they did not adapt fast enough.

O

openside_tom7

When your backrow is outmuscled like it was today, there is no way he played well. Was always behind the gainline and while he did tackle well, it was definitely his poorest game for Australia (which isn't much of a statement because he has a good record in the gold jersey)..

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not intentionally fishing here, but the case for Higginbotham at 13 is gaining credibility in my eyes... ;)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Did you have your glasses on during the game he did "jack"

Mate I honestly dunno what with people's perception of Vickerman, he made some errors which is understandable seeing how long he's been out of the game.

However, if I can show you specific footage you'll see he's the most hard-working, aggressive player in our pack come ruck time. Go watch him hit the rucks and you'll see he'll be more effective than anyone else in the pack. As soon as he came on he got into the physical stuff and pushed one of the Samoan players, he does not take a backward step.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Thought Vickerman tried manfully to hit rucks when he came on, and that was where the problem was, so +1 from me.

Hodgson was surprisingly ineffective, Robinson was marginally better. I think Beau is better starting than subbing both in terms of his fit for the team but also in terms of him getting into the game and a feel for the rucks.

Few of the wallaby forwards made any ground carrying, Sharpe and McCalman had the most impact. Moore less so than usual but the Samoans were immense in defense in tight.

Timani started ok but looked knackered by the 30 min mark and the mistakes crept in with his exhaustion. I was surprised that Sharpe went off in for Vickerman in that context. Maybe Bruce's mail about the km done at training by the wallabies cruelled our pack.

The brumbified backline was never going to set the world on fire but at least McCabe looked like he was in the right arena. Just wish that some of this experimentation took place outside Genia/Cooper, maybe with an early sub or subs when the backline and the game had some shape.

The team selections and the game management were all over the place this week and today respectively. I don't want to sound like Gnostic, but I also wondered during the 1st half why we weren't using Gerrard and our line-out's apparent but not realized strengths with a game plan? Is there a cogent game plan? Or were Gits et al just unable to play to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.