• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies pecking order

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So he's totally out of World Cup contention? What's his injury?

Who knows. Been nothing on it since he picked it up against the Crusaders back in round 3. I would've thought he'd been in the mix if he played the last couple of games of Super Rugby but it looks like he won't be playing all year. I assume even if he is fit they might tell him to have a full pre-season to get his body right.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
Righto, cheers. I'm now really starting to get into Wallabies mode and, though I've barely seen him, would love to have him in the mix. The wraps on him are huge.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I think either Sharpe, Horwill or Genia should be the skipper. They're all players who lift with the captaincy and they all have cemented positions in the starting XV. I think Genia hasn't been taking on the line as much as he was last year, and I think the loss of the captaincy has a lot to do with that. Take the leadership of Rocky and allow him to focus on his natural, aggressive game.

That being said, methinks that Rocky might have been guaranteed the captaincy as a way to lure him back from Leinster when he hit the famous purple-patch that had everyone talking about him.

I think that too much can be made of choice of captain. It's really an experienced core leadership group that is more important and influential and not just one specific individual wearing the armband. For me, the announcement of Smit as Bok captain at the real cost of not playing Bismarck is a poor one and all the more puzzling with Matfield, Berger, Smith right there. A chosen leader's ineffective play can undermine his authority within a squad and hurt the team while a "lead by example" player who steps it up can inspire whether he wears an armband or not (Pocock, McCaw, Genia, Sharpe etc.), I really don't think that the ABs would be any less effective if Mealamu was wearing the armband as long as McCaw was playing and participating in key discussions/decisions.

On the point of Elsom being guaranteed captaincy, I just don't think there is any evidence for this whatsoever.

Interesting to read this thread from back in the day ( http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/4119-Wallaby-Captain). It seems that Elsom was favored by most posters back then as Wallaby captain.

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
Who knows. Been nothing on it since he picked it up against the Crusaders back in round 3. I would've thought he'd been in the mix if he played the last couple of games of Super Rugby but it looks like he won't be playing all year. I assume even if he is fit they might tell him to have a full pre-season to get his body right.

That's what happened this year - he had a full preseason!

I did remember reading that Hickey said he'd be out for the season and I saw him with a funny looking brace in a Qantas video recently with Burke and Barnes. Other than that - who knows.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
Just got this of foxsports. Their Wallabies in waiting competition results.

First 15

1 Robinson (7)
2 Polota-Nau (8)
3 Slipper (9)
4 Sharpe (8)
5 Horwill (7)
6 Higginbotham (6)
7 Pocock (6)
8 McCalman (6)
9 Genia (10)
10 Cooper (11)
11 Ioane (9)
12 O'Connor (6)
13 Fainga'a (6)
14 Turner (7)
15 Beale (7)

Second 15
1 Alexander/Daley (5)
2 Fainga'a (6)
3 Kepu (5)
4 Wykes (4)
5 Chisholm (4)
6 Dennis (4)
7 Robinson (5)
8 Samo (5)
9 Burgess (3)
10 Barnes (2)
11 Mitchell (5)
12 McCabe (4)
13 Ashley-Cooper (4)
14 Davies (4)
15 Shepherd (5)

Note: Total Wallabies in Waiting caps in brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.