• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies pecking order

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
The statement was "I think everyone is behind a fit Rocky." Obviously it is not correct. The point is moot in any event as we have not seen a "FIT" Rocky since his return to Oz.

Mate on his day he can be the best 6 in the world. He is a quality player and if he can stay fit I would definatly have him the starting 6 and captain. It's the WC, you pick the best players.

If he can't prove his fitness, well that's another story....

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Bob Dwyer picked the best players in 1995, a pity that so many of the starting 15 were carrying injuries (some of them more than niggly).

As for the continued assertion that he was in hot form in 2010, I still have those games on the HDD and he was average. His best game was against a French side who couldn't have folded any quicker or more thoroughly.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Bob Dwyer picked the best players in 1995, a pity that so many of the starting 15 were carrying injuries (some of them more than niggly).

As for the continued assertion that he was in hot form in 2010, I still have those games on the HDD and he was average. His best game was against a French side who couldn't have folded any quicker or more thoroughly.

Well who are your alternatives that would do an equal or better job then Rocky? I can't name any

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So let's say he's fit, uninjured and ready to go come the beginning of the RWC, do you not play him as starting 6? I would play him with few reservations, so long as he'd had a run at least at club level. I will make the assumption that he won't be right for the start of the 3N, but may be right for the latter part, where he would at least get a run off the bench.

The available alternatives would be Dennis, Mowen, Samo, Higgers, Saffy and Hodgson. In my opinion, none of those guys is a better player than a fit Elsom and I rate every last one of them.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The G&GR assessment for Elsom in the final France game is telling:

27/11/2010 Wallabies France 9 Look back at his ratings over the latter part of this season and you can see how Rocky has slowly worked his way back into career-best form. His impact in the tackle and with ball in hand is significant. Was excellent in the lineout while being very prominent around the field.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Mate on his day he can be the best 6 in the world. He is a quality player and if he can stay fit I would definatly have him the starting 6 and captain. It's the WC, you pick the best players.

If he can't prove his fitness, well that's another story....

I would prefer he wasn't captain, but if he was fit I would definitely have him in the starting side (and it seems Deans has been pretty clear that he will be captain if available).

G

GC

I heard he was likely going to be fit fir the Samoa game - is that right? Plenty if time if so.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I think either Sharpe, Horwill or Genia should be the skipper. They're all players who lift with the captaincy and they all have cemented positions in the starting XV. I think Genia hasn't been taking on the line as much as he was last year, and I think the loss of the captaincy has a lot to do with that. Take the leadership of Rocky and allow him to focus on his natural, aggressive game.

That being said, methinks that Rocky might have been guaranteed the captaincy as a way to lure him back from Leinster when he hit the famous purple-patch that had everyone talking about him.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
qwerty i think ur pretty spot on, one things bothering me thou
can u pls explain your reasoning for horne being number one 13
note: elsoms been out all year too but its his experience at test level which puts him back into consideration for me... horne was invisible in his couple of test appearances and hes been injured most of the last 2 years anyway?

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
That being said, methinks that Rocky might have been guaranteed the captaincy as a way to lure him back from Leinster when he hit the famous purple-patch that had everyone talking about him.

wow id like someone to clear this up once and for all
i shudder to think the aru may have found itself at a time and a place where the captaincy of the australian team was promised and not earnt

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
qwerty i think ur pretty spot on, one things bothering me thou
can u pls explain your reasoning for horne being number one 13

Not really an issue since he probably won't be playing this year but I find he is the better defender than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Has the ability to make a shitload of dominant tackles that sit an opponent of their ass - a pretty important and often neglected ability, most of our current backline players aren't capable of dominant hits and they're especially important at 13.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Not really an issue since he probably won't be playing this year but I find he is the better defender than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Has the ability to make a shitload of dominant tackles that sit an opponent of their ass - a pretty important and often neglected ability, most of our current backline players aren't capable of dominant hits and they're especially important at 13.

i dont know how his injury affected him but im sure he was one of the faster backs in the country a couple of years ago
as i remember he was rated fasted in the nsw squad sometime (apparently faster than turn and beale- mind you this was when beale was fat)

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
So he's totally out of World Cup contention? What's his injury?

i rate him highly but i dont know how he could possibly be in contention... i mean if he had the test runs on the board that would work in his favour... but dominating s14 for 10 games in the last 3 seasons doesnt quite cut it for me...
potential is a long way from proven performance>

Status
Not open for further replies.