• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Number 8 for the RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mica

Well in recent weeks there has been a lot of discussion around who should be the number 8 for the Wallabies. Until this morning the incumbent has been Ben McCalman who seems to be generally acknowledged by the GnG community as an honest toiler who doesn't really have the physical presence to be the ball carrying number 8 that is needed.

I like McCalman for his heart and his industry but he certainly isn't a player of the calibre of say Toutai Kefu. Who I would consider our last real world class Number 8.

So what are the options - who are the contenders and what are the pros and cons? Also what are the key attributes that we should be focusing on? Is impact more important than work rate? Is ball carrying king and defensive capability second?

With the match in Durban over and the introduction of both Higgers and Samo to the 3N fray some reflection on the options can take place.

So to get the ball rolling here are my impressions

McCalman:
Pros - Industrious, plays with heart, generally gives 100% of his capability, worker, generally low mistake rate.
Cons - Not showing the ability to be the physical presence required. Not dominant with his defense or with the ball in hand. Not angry enough. Is he big enough? Does someone need to ask him did he hear what Kieran Read said about his mother?? :p :angryfire:

Higganbotham:
Pros - Brings aggression/mongrel to the pack. Adds an x factor with skills you don't normally get in a loosie (kicking in behind the line with accuracy). In good form. Can cover blind side as well.
Cons - Is number 8 the best utilisation of his talents? Inexperienced at international level (but seems to be handling it well in the chances he has been given). Not as big as Samo or Palu (but technique and controlled aggression are more important IMHO). Can he control the aggression so he doesn't become a penalty magnet?

Samo:
Pros - Big physical presence. The ability to intimidate. Currently best traditional style ball carrier that we have (fit). Lot's of capability - has the potential to be an absolute wrecking ball and a match winner.
Cons - Can be lazy (no where near the industry of McCalman). Can also lose intensity. Ball security and handling could improve. Is he an 80 minute player (and is this required - Are you better off with 60 high impact minutes than 80 minutes with less impact?). Will his age hinder him?

Palu:
Pros - Our biggest forward. Similar type of player to Samo. When he has his head in the right space he reminds me of Kefu. Big physical presence, ball carrier and tackler.
Cons - Palu is such a frustration to me. This guy should be killing it. Is it that he is too nice and not angry enough?? He plays one outstanding game in about every eight to ten, a bunch of average performances and couple of shockers. He gets knocked back in the contact (how does this happen to a 120kg monster?) He seems to lack commitment and can go absent as well. Then when I have lost all hope he pulls out a game where he smashes players, runs over the top of people and even pulls out a sidestep while doing it ??? So why can't he do this for 80% of the games he plays rather than 10%

So what do you think? Any other options? Vaea looked good in some of the games he played in a rubbish Brumbies season this year. Who else is a dark horse?.

Hmm maybe we should run a pole with this also with the Title "GnG selectors - number 8 for Wallabies" :)

What should happen for Bledisloe 2? (For me I'd stick with Higgers starting and Samo on the bench - McCalman misses out)

M

Mica

I think it would be harsh to drop Higgers after his performance this morning. I really liked the aggression he brought to the pack and I think this helped Rocky in his game also.

I also think his involvement is higher.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Samo.
Yes he has shown the tendency in the past to be lazy at times.
But this year he has stepped up when needed for Qld. and he will be very motivated getting a shot at a RWC that 2 years ago he would not have dreamed of.
Physicality? He was picking up SA forwards from our side of the ruck and throwing them back to theirs.
He is a beast with all the skills, has a ton of experience and a good combination with both Genia and Cooper
He is the last piece in the balanced back row puzzle for the Wallabies.

M

Mica

When does Palu get back?

A Wallabies spokesperson stressed the operation was "minor" and would not extend Palu's time on the sidelines. He is scheduled to make a comeback at the end of the month - possibly for the Australian Barbarians against Canada on August 26.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/palus-hopes-resting-on-knife-edge/story-e6frexni-1226105247464
That said why would you pick him over Samo in the current environment.
They both have a similar kind of game and Samo has form.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I thought we found a really good balance in our backrow this week. Higgers I thought did a good job and I like the idea of bring Samo on towards the end of the game.

So we could possibly go with Samo or Higgers with the other on the bench.

I'm still hoping Palu will be fit for the world cup. If he can get his fitness up in the pool games at the world cup he is probably still our best option.

A month ago I had McCalman as a certainty in the squad but the competition for places is great. Those players like McCalman who dont perform are at risk of losing their spot becasue Aus have some good depth across most positions.

My backrow squad members:-

Elsom, Pocock, Higgers, Hodgson, Samo, Palu

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
Sitaleki Timani ????

I know it has been suggested before by a few here.... but I have often wondered how Sitaleki Timani would go at 8?

- Very athletic and fit
- Fast with ball in hand
- Brutal defender in the Palu in form mould
- Strong ball carrier with some agro
- Another very good line-out option - 2.02m tall

With the lock positions pretty well sorted I think it would be a possible use of his talents. I realise it is now getting a bit close to the RWC to start trialing a guy in a new position, but - food for thought especially since we are severely missing a Palu style dominator in the Number 8 position. Having watched Timani this year with the Waratahs, I think he may be worth a trial just to see.
Thoughts????

M

Mica

I'm still hoping Palu will be fit for the world cup. If he can get his fitness up in the pool games at the world cup he is probably still our best option.

Am I missing something with Palu? :nta:

Of the four options he'd be in last place for me based on his inconsistency to play at the level that someone with his physical stature should.

With all the opportunities he has had he should have and could have been the next Kefu.

So much potential that has never been realised. Surely he is the Mark Philippoussis of Number 8s

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You probably are. His last games in Gold were fucking outstanding and that's all you should really base it on.

He was close to the John Eales Medal in 2010 from the EOYT performance alone.

M

Mica

Sitaleki Timani ????

Not for this RWC, but it would be definitely worth considering going forward!
He certainly would bring options >:D

I also think that in the near future there will be a void in this space.

Samo won't be around for too much longer.
Higgers is a 6 that made a good fist of 8 last night.
McCalman is not there yet and may never be.
Palu - well see above ::)

M

Mica

You probably are. His last games in Gold were fucking outstanding and that's all you should really base it on.

He was close to the John Eales Medal in 2010 from the EOYT performance alone.

I don't remember any games he played on the EOYT. McCalman played in the Wales, French and England games

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm happy with Higgers to play 50 minutes & finish with Samo. I think it worked well last night but I'd also be happy to see the roles reversed with Samo starting & Higgers finishing.

I think this would be the go.
Samo is more aggressive and stronger than Higgers in contact. Higgers has the pace and a good nose for the chalk where he can be extremely effective against a tiring opposition

T

TheNextBigThing

Mcalman: I've been a big fan of Mcalman but his last two games have been quiet... too quiet. (Note that he was the best of a bad bunch against Samoa).

Higginbotham: Excellent attacking weapon, defended very physically last night. The last three games suggest that the Wallabies are dominant enough at the breakdown that they can afford to carry a gamebreaker like higginbotham rather than a workhorse. (Also not as strong a lineout option as Samo/Mcalman) Also his flexibility is handy as although Dingo doesn't need a replacement 6 as Rocky will probably continue to play 80 mins, he will need backups in case of injury.

Samo: Defensively our best 8 in terms of physicality and presence. Better lineout option than Higginbotham/Palu. Excellent at the base of the scrum (Not just last night where he was flawless but throughout the S15 as well)

Palu: Even when he made it on to the pitch this year for the Waratahs, I saw nothing that impressed me. Also important to note that Palu has had problems with recovery (slow hitting form) and fitness (needing to eased into game time). I'd love to be proved wrong but I can't see him threatening Samo/Higginbotham.

Timani: Not yet. Also I don't know that his handling will be up to it at the base of the scrum. People forget that before his breakout season for the Waratahs, Timani had been justifiably dropped by two teams for not being able to catch a ball.

Dennis: "Remember him?" Won't stay in the squad after Thursday.

Samo/Higginbotham in the 22. Who starts should be a matter of "horses for courses". Higginbotham to break games, Samo for trench warfare. Mcalman will go to New Zealand but will have to turn it around to see any action against Ireland or outside the pool stage.

M

Mica

I don't remember any games he played on the EOYT. McCalman played in the Wales, French and England games

And from what I remember McCalman had a good tour.
I remember thinking that he might be a good option going forward as a long term Wallaby number 8.
Unfortunately he has struggled this year and hasn't been able to make the gain line like he did on tour.

M

Mica

TheNextBigThing - I reckon you've just about hit the nail on the head, though I always think of Samo as more of a carrying rather than a defensive number 8.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
I'd go with 5 backrowers in the squad plus a lock / flanker so Palu for mine would miss out as he hasn't had anywhere near enough rugby in the past 2 years to warrant selection. I would also select Beau over Hodgson, though I am a Reds supporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.