• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies at the Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You don't have to replace like for like. Anyone can come into the squad.
If everyone is getting a run then Phipps is due a run.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Not funny Sully, difference is most pundits here on the board say we play boring rugby.
Fact is as long as the number next to my team is bigger than the number next to your team at fulltime I don't care what type of Rugby you lot play.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I've also seen enough to say our 3 locks do not include Simmons. Get Hodgson or Beau over. Given that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will have to be permanently shifted to 13, then we need more outside backs. Turner? Morahan?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This is very unfortunate to read negative comments in the Irish press and the fact that the Aussie media articles were in poor taste.

Surely the Aussie are much better than this! All credit to Ireland for their famous win over the Wannabes! Move on!
I was surprised it took you so long to find this thread for your invaluable contribution; witty as ever I see.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Seriously this happens every four years, mostly with Murdock papers, although I guess in this case the irish article isn't from a Murdock paper. A couple of isolated Aussie journalist make diaparaging remarks about the opposition, completely out of tune with the average non-bogan supporter, and the papers on the other side of the big pond pick up these remarks and use them to tar the entire country, in the case of murdock papers probably co-ordinated by the editors of the papers.

90% of rugby supporting Australians thought we should have won against an out of form Irish team, but still recognized them as a serious danger who had recently taken apart England and who dominate the EC and HC tournaments. The loss of Moore and Pocock were definate disadvantages, and would have affected the result, but good teams always have injuries and part of being a good team is managing whoever you have playing on the field for any particular game. What we were most angry about was how poorly and unintelligently we played. And a lot of that was because of how intelligently and well Ireland played. But when you're venting, you don't vent by saying "weren't they good, weren't they good", you vent by castigating the unacceptably areas of your own teams play (terrible gameplan, coaching, decision making, scrummaging and inability to adapt to less than ideal weather conditions). It's not meant as a slight to the Irish, it can be inferred that a lot of these were caused by a great game plan from intelligent Irish coaching, intelligent decision making by the players and a vastly superior forwards pack in the tight and loose. However we can't moan about Ireland and make them weaker, we can only moan about australia and hope that eventually something gets done about our faibilities.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
First change will be McCabe for a flanker. If someone else is injured they will bring in lachy turner surely.

I'd focus on Combinations and resting players. Cooper-Barnes to start. Sharpe, Slipper, Mitchell, Higgers need a game. Might as well play phipps since we bought him over.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Greenfire, the Irish media whinged its arse off about dirty tactics when the Aussie Rules team beat them in International rules in Ireland despite the Irish doing all kinds of dirty tricks like knees in the back. I personally consider IR a joke but the reaction of the Irish media & their team is an example of how whinging & sour grapes isn’t a characteristic that is owned by any particular country more than another. It also shows you shouldn’t judge an entire country by its media.

I will say what most posters have already said on other threads for the millionth time, us Wallaby supporters are just being honest with what we thought of our team - which was we put in a shit performance. It’s no disrespect to Ireland as they deserve their win. However, after watching that game & based on the previous form of the Wallabies & Irish leading into the RWC if any of the Irish media could look me in the eyes and tell me that that was the Wallabies at their greatest well then Christ mate they should pass me the bongs, the syringes, the ten gallon jug of whiskey & all the other crap they must be on.

And as for caring what Irish people think? FFS most Australians have some connection to Ireland as do I & a lot of us have the Irish as our second team.

Larno – I certainly won’t be judging Irish people by the OP’s post - the media is just trying to stir up shit that isn’t there yet again.

Normally I wouldn’t react to a thread like this but we’ve just had a win over the USA, it’s only a bit of a positive because we now have an even bigger injury count but none the less it’s nice to have a win. Now you come in here and place this stupid cynical post (you’ve tried to disguise it as half decent but you’re not fooling anyone) which to me smells of ‘kicking us while we are down’. To me, this media report from Ireland is just another notch in the ever growing “let’s take a big dump on Australia mentality”. Fuck off back to the corner you crawled out of or post something more intelligent.

Next game please.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rugby is my religion but even i'd let a priest touch me if it guaranteed Horne stayed injury free for the rest of the year.

Logorrhea

Stan Wickham (3)
MASSIVE loss of respect for the Irish post-win.
Because of whats writen in the papers?

The OP is most likely a member of the media looking to report on sentiment by trolling an internet forum..

"opinion amongst Australian fans supports the media articles ......" etc.

Would be interested to see if the moderators could trace the IP back to a domain in Ireland. If so, what one.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
So who's left standing to play the Russians next week?
Assuming Fainga'a is ruled out with concussion, McCabe gone with the shoulder, Horne with the cheek problem, Palu with the hamstring.
All of a sudden our 30 man squad is not looking big enough.

McCabe will have to go home, probably to be replaced by Tapuai or Tom Carter
Palu possibly to go home, let's hope by Robinson or Hodgson
Fainga'a and Horne may get by. If not, Horne will go for Tapuai or Carter

We also need to rest players who have played every game for the finals, i.e AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cooper, Genia, Elsom
The 22 for Russia.
1. Slipper
2. A. Fainga'a (TPN needs a rest, can't afford Moore to get injured)
3. Kepu (Alexander needs rest, Kepu needs to get combo with Slipper right before finals)
4. Sharpe (Our starting locks)
5. Horwill
6. Higginbotham
7. ? (Hopefully we have Robinson or Hodgson)
8. Samo/McCalman (FUCK, maybe McCalman, don't need Samo getting injured)
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. O'Connor
15. Beale (If he's not injured..)

16. TPN
17. Ma'afu
18. Simmons
19. Elsom
20. Pocock
21. Genia (hopefully won't be needed)
22. Do we have another back?

Concussion is supposed to be 4 weeks. That would rule Ant Fainga'a out. McCabe will be gone as well, and the first addition will be either Beau Robinson or Matt Hodgson. Lachie Turner and Ben Tapuai will be next in.
Deans has also said that he's going to use the entire 30, so look for Phipps to make the 22 against Russia.

I'm thinking:
1. Sekope Kepu
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. James Slipper
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. David Pocock, if not Robinson/Hodgson
8. Radike Samo
9. Nick Phipps- he'll come off early
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Berrick Barnes
13. Ben Tapuai
14. James O'Connor
15. Kurtley Beale
---------------------
16. Stephen Moore/Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Salesi Ma'afu
18. Dan Vickerman
19. Rocky Elsom
20. Beau Robinson/Matt Hodgson
21. Will Genia
22. Lachie Turner/Adam Ashley-Cooper (depending on whether Turner gets picked).

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Tapuai will not start at outside centre in a world cup game. He's a talent yet unproven inside centre, they will find someone else to slot in at outside.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
This is all a load of bollocks propogated by self serving media from either hemisphere and in no way reflects either national characteristic if there is such a thing. I make a point of never blaming the ref because he is a lot closer to the action than me and the players are a lot closer to him and are therefore perfectly able to play him. The clearest cut reffing mistake of many a year was in the Wales v Ireland game in the last six nations and ostensibly it changed the game, BULLSHIT, Ireland had ample opportunity to win the game regardless and they blew it, plain and fucking simple. Same applies to Wales v SA in this RWC, fuck the kick going through the posts, Wales know they should have won anyway they had loads of chances. And while we are at it, the same applies to NZ v France in the last RWC, the NZers had ample opportunity to drop the goal and win the game, they didn't take them and that is not down to the ref. Only thing that is annoying me is bringing up the injuries to Pocock and Moore all the time. Our greatest ever BR is injured and did not make it to the RWC: that, combined with injuries to SOB, Ferris and Heaslip means that last saturday was the first time those three players had played together EVER. We have also lost our best Hooker in Jerry Flannery and although you guys won't believe me a fit and firing Flannery is a match for any hooker in the world. You were missing Digby Ioane as well and he is some loss but when the Lions tour in 2 years time you will get to see another Irish player who is injured but may well have bolted into our starting 15 last weekend, his name is Felix Jones and he is a very very special player who has had fuck all luck with injuries. Injuries are sadly a fact of life in rugby but given their prevalence it is part of management to prepare for them; if Pocock is so imperative to Aussie winning then maybe Mr Deans would have been wise to take another 7. I have read enough on here to see that alot of you fellas don't ascribe to the shite that goons speak in the papers, and the reason I go on Rugby forums is I would rather hear what fans think as they know a lot more than the fucking journalists

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Don't really get why this was a "reason". I could understand if this was the first time the Wallabies had ever played under a bit of rain, but it clearly isn't. They've even won in the rain and worse ground/weather conditions than that.

It's not a reason. But the rain helped negate one of the Wallabies great advantages, namely the speed and width in their game. Would England prefer to play the ABs on a dry or wet field? The Irish defensive coach, Les Kiss, said as much in a Ruggamatrix podcast. "The conditions didn't help Australia,and we weren't going to help them either"

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Tapuai will not start at outside centre in a world cup game. He's a talent yet unproven inside centre, they will find someone else to slot in at outside.

I didn't think Horne would play #12, but this is Dingo we're dealing with. Anything's possible on "Robbie's magical mystery tour".
Who else is there- Ioane? Surely not.

M

murph

Barnes to 12. Replace McCabe with Beau or Hodgson. Replace Horne with Tapuai or Morahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.