• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies at the Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

08umema

Chuck Higginbotham at OC and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing? In all seriousness though, I am hoping to God that no one gets injured against Russia.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think they are doing the smart thing and waiting until they see if anyone gets injured against Russia before naming any replacements. It would be very tough for someone to come in next week and immediately be effective against the Boks in the quarters and given Robbie's hatred of his bench, I think whoever goes will be there as window dressing unless injuries force Deans to play them.

I think that those who've been calling for Higgers to play 13, might have their prayers realized this weekend and we'll still beat Russia by at least 50 points. It is not doom and gloom just yet, but we might see a squad with all 3 scrumhalves in it this weekend too.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think we will see Phipps play wing and have Genia on the bench. This could mean a 6- 1 split on the reserve bench.
I also am starting to think we may see Turner as Palu's replacement. I don't think Robbie will bring an openside flanker over as he will not pick them come knock out stages and Pocock will be given as much time as possible against Russia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if Deans will decide to not pick his replacement until after the Russia game?

If Pocock comes through unscathed, he could pick another back (Turner or Tapuai) but if Pocock looks at all dubious, another 7 could be called up.

08umema

If we can make it through this week unscathed we'll be looking good for the QF's.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez it shows how much Robbie rates Horne though. You would only keep him on if you wanted him to start in a potential semi-final, surely you wouldn't keep him on just to ride the pine or be in the stands, especially considering the back shortage we have at the moment.

08umema

Jeez it shows how much Robbie rates Horne though. You would only keep him on if you wanted him to start in a potential semi-final, surely you wouldn't keep him on just to ride the pine or be in the stands, especially considering the back shortage we have at the moment.

I agree, the guy has played limited footy the past couple of years. RD must have some serious man-love going on for Horne.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Fragility aside, whats not to love?

How many games has he played with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Or Ants? He's played no Super Rugby this year and has 6 or 7 Tests to his name? And he's coming back from injury.

I'm not commenting on his potential or ability but going into the final stages of a RWC, I think it's a massive punt to put so much faith in someone so unproven.

He goes into the same box as Vickerman, Palu, Barnes, Slipper and maybe TPN. Robbie is expecting a lot from guys who have had little time to get healed, get fit, get form and get combinations.

Good games against the USA and Russia will do little to help some of those problems. When you look at the US game, so many of the tries were too easy simply because the US just aren't very good. Take for example the try that started down on the Wallaby line where Elsom decided to run it out and Beale (I think) ended up scoring. How many times would that happen against England? SA? The ABs?

I understand that you can only play what the opposition puts up against you so it's not the Wallaby's fault it was all too easy BUT how can you really use the game for an indication of how well the team is going, combo's are building etc.....I think the Wallabies are in trouble.

In saying that, they have the individual talent to beat anyone......I don't know that they are a team that will beat their main rivals.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ah, would it be fair to say we are in a worse position now then we have ever been at a World Cup? Cannot believe how many injuries we have had, Deans' squad selection is looking stupid. No matter whom, with the exception of Giteau (Who won't be considered by Deans anyway) and Robinson (Who might be unlikely due to the sudden need for backs) no player we bring over will add to our combinations and be of real advantage. Can't see a point bringing someone over who is just going to be a squad member and not make a matchday 22.

I am slowly losing faith, whilst our team might be confident after the USA win we are still going to struggle to make it any further than the quarters, let alone troubling the Kiwi's or Boks. Best bet right now is to make our best XV and not consider any other replacements until we know where they are going to fit into the squad. Add to this the absence of previously in-form players and the return of injured players who are uncertain to be match-fit I think our QF 22 could get steamrolled by the Boks. I'd be willing to consider Higgers at 8, Samo has really been ineffective since the bledisloe test and could quite possibly play the role we had for Palu: Impact off the bench. Higgers on the other hand looks to get involved and has more speed getting to the breakdown, could work well with a mobile back-row we have now.

1. Slipper 2. Moore 3. Alexander
4. Horwill 5. Sharpe
6. Elsom 7. Pocock
8. Samo/Higgenbotham
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane 14. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. Ashley-Cooper
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Kepu
18. Vickerman
19. Samo/Higgenbotham/McCalman
20. Burgess
21. Fainga'a
22. O'Connor(if Digby is fit)/ Palu replacement

Horne won't be back, McCabe still not ready, Palu gone home. Hopefully Digby is right, if not JOC (James O'Connor) to 11 and a 5-2 bench split
Individually Brilliant, combination wise who knows, our bench could be weak too.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Speaking of being steamrollered by the Boks, let's hope the Boks suffers an injury crisis after that tough match against Samoa this weekend beforehand!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Speaking of being steamrollered by the Boks, let's hope the Boks suffers an injury crisis after that tough match against Samoa this weekend beforehand!

Samoa to win with a bonus point, South Africa with no losing bonus point and Wales to beat Fiji with a bonus point. Easy, we don't play them now haha

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In that situation, as long as Wales win with a bonus point, Samoa doesn't need a bonus point. They would just need to stop South Africa getting a bonus point loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.