• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Timani packs down on the tighthead, so it's actually Kepu who improves, not Robinson.
Well then, my opinion on Robinson just increased exponentially.

Well then, the statement is even better - Timani makes Kepu look good enough for Wallaby selection.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Is this who we think will make it or who we would pick?

I would go

Props (4): Robinson, Slipper, Alexander, Sio
Hookers (2): Moore, TPN
Locks (4): Horwill, Douglas, Pyle, Simmons
Opensides (2): Smith, Gill
6/8 (3): Palu, MMM, Higginbotham
Scrumhalf (2): Genia, White
Flyhalf (1): Cooper
Centre (3): AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Lilo, Fainga'a
Wing (2): Ioane, Folau
Fullback (2): JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes

Went with 3 6/8s as Smith can play 6 or 8 if needed.

Would add Hooper, Cummins, Horne, Beale, Timani, Mowen depending on form.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
There is a lot of people naming their 6 additional players too here without rhyme or reason other than they're good enough to make the squad.

I think Barnes, McCabe, McMenimum, Mitchell et al all will be part of this group in order to get more rugby into them before the Lions tour.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well then, my opinion on Robinson just increased exponentially.

Well then, the statement is even better - Timani makes Kepu look good enough for Wallaby selection.

By the same token you could potentially argue that Douglas is a big help for Robbo in the scrums. Douglas would clearly be packing at TH lock in most scrums yet ends up on the LH side in the Tahs scrum because Timani is massive.

I do think Robbo is in as good form as he's ever been. I think his fitness is better than it ever has been. Cheika is making him play 80 minutes and Robbo is going the distance well.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Can't see them only having three props in the 25 - can't pack live scrums in practice with those numbers so either the Waratahs or Brumbies will have three front rowers taken out of their Super games in that period of the camp.

Whilst that may not be the best for the Super team, I'm sure the decision will be based on what the coaches consider is best for the Wallabies.

I accept your point - so include Kepu or Holmes (or Ryan) in place of MMM and consider him for the additional 6 if fit.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What I think he'll go with

Props (4): Robinson, Slipper, Alexander, Kepu
Locks (4): Horwill, Douglas, Timani, Simmons
Opensides (2): Hooper, Gill
6/8 (3): Palu, Dennis, Higginbotham
Flyhalf (1): Barnes
Centre (3): AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Lilo, Horne
Wing (3): Ioane, Folau, Cummins
Fullback (1): JOC (James O'Connor)

6 to be added: McCabe, Tomane, Auelua, To'omua, MMM, Palmer

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
What I think he'll go with

Props (4): Robinson, Slipper, Alexander, Kepu
Locks (4): Horwill, Douglas, Timani, Simmons
Opensides (2): Hooper, Gill
6/8 (3): Palu, Dennis, Higginbotham
Centre (3): AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Lilo, Horne
Wing (3): Ioane, Folau, Cummins
Fullback (1): JOC (James O'Connor)

6 to be added: McCabe, Tomane, Auelua, To'omua, MMM, Palmer

No George Smith?

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Go read Lindommer's round up of the Tahs v Stormers to see why I wouldn't have Timani.

Looking like a big mean cuzzy means nothing if you don't have the attitude to back it up.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I have not heard anyone come out and confirm he is definitely allowed to be selected and I am the only remaining person in the country who thinks he shouldn't.

While I'd like to see Smith be selected, I think this is the least important of the various selection conundrums facing Deans. Hooper and Gill are both fantastic options. Australia probably has 3 of the best 4 or 5 opensides in the world. There isn't really a bad selection decision that can be made here -- it's a matter of degrees and, to a lesser extent, of fit to game plan.

Bigger issues are the second lock, blindside, flyhalf, inside centre and fullback. There are good or excellent options at most of those positions, but how they shake out will have more impact, IMO, than who plays 7.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Dingo's team:

Props: Robinson, Slipper, Kepu, Alexander
Hooker: Moore TPN
Lock: Horwill, Douglas, Timani
Backrow: Hooper, Higgers, Gill, Palu, MMM
Half: Genia, White
Flyhalf: JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes
Wing: Ioane, Tomane, Cummins
Centre: Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe,
Fullback: Folau

MY 25:

Prop: Robinson, Slipper, Alexander, Palmer
Hooker: Moore, TPN
Lock: Horwill, Douglas, Simmons
Backrown: Gill, Hooper, Higgers, Palu
Half: Genia, White
Flyhalf: Cooper
Wing: Ioane, Tomane, Folau
Centre: Lilo, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Fainga'a, Horne
Fullback: JOC (James O'Connor), Mogg

18 or so players overlap and a couple of different positions. My big gripe is the 'type' of rugby i vision Deans playing going with, and the majority of the players selected can play both roles. Just hope Timani is the only howler from Dingo.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
At this stage I am assuming George Smith isn't available, if that changes swap him for Hooper in both teams.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
My picks if I were in charge (including starting preferences):

props: Robnson, Slipper, Palmer, Alexander
Hookers: Moore, TPN
Locks: Horwill, Douglas, Simmons, MMM
Backrow: Higgers, Hooper, Palu, Smith,
Halves: Genia, White
10: Cooper
Centres: Leilifano, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Tapuai
Back 3: JOC (James O'Connor), Ioane, Folau, Mogg

Here's what I think he will pick:

Robinson, Slipper, Alexander, Kepu
Moore, TPN,
Horwill, Douglas, Timani, Simmons
Higgers, Paul, Gill, Hooper, Dennis
Genia, White,
Barnes
Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tapuai, Leilifano
JOC (James O'Connor), Ioane, Folau

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
MMM definately wont make the cut until he makes a successful return from injury. He is forecast to return one week before the final announcement (in the Force v Lions match) which means he will have to hit the ground running (or rather charging as is his style).

Unfortunately he may have to wait till the 2nd test tomake the squad where he will fill in from an injury to a lock or backrower or when one of the incumbents is dropped for not taking his daily dose of concrete.

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am interested in the makeup of the final 31 man squad, I think the 25 man squad is does not necessarily contain the match day 23.

How many props,hookers, locks etc in the 31?
Obviously there will be players who can cover more than one position JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), George Smith etc. and this clouds positional allocation

Here's how I see it:
Props - 5
Hookers - 2
Locks - 5
Opensides - 2
Blindsides/Eights - 4
Scrumhalves - 2
Flyhalves - 1 (will be covered by players in other positions)
Centres - 4
Wings - 4
Fullbacks - 2

And to fill those spots (provided MMM is fit - if not 4 locks and an extra backrow/back maybe)

P - Robinson, Slipper, Alexander, Palmer, Kepu
H - TFN, Moore
L - Horwill, Simmons, Timani, Douglas, McMeniman
7 - Hooper, Gill
6,8 -Smith, Higginbotham, Palu, Mowen
SH - Genia, White
FH - Cooper
C - Leilifano, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe, Barnes
W - Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor), Tomane,
FB - Folau, Mogg

If MMM is still hurt, I'd propbably opt for Mat Tooma (to keep QC (Quade Cooper) honest) rather than choose another lock/backrower who doesn't meet the same standards as those already present.

Considering both fullbacks are uncapped, I wouldn't rule out a reshuffle where JOC (James O'Connor) or Barnes plays 15 and Folau moves to wing.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
After the injuries to TPN and Smith here's my revised guess (with changes marked) as to what Deans will do.

Props (4): Robinson, Alexander, Slipper, Kepu
Hookers (2): TPN, Moore, Fainga'a
Locks (4): Horwill, Timani, Simmons, Douglas
Backrow (5): Higgers, Smith, Palu, Gill, Hooper, Mowen
Centres (4): Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe, Lealiifano
Wingers (2): Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor)
Fullback (1): Folau

That's assuming McCabe is okay but I think Horne would have moved into most likely starting 12 now.

Dennis could get the nod over Mowen but for his lineout work and ability to play 6 or 8 Mowen would have to be next in line. Surely?

The suggestion from Bret Harris yesterday that Phipps will be the backup 9 worries me as Harris appears to get ARU info that others don't.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
After the injuries to TPN and Smith here's my revised guess (with changes marked) as to what Deans will do.

Props (4): Robinson, Alexander, Slipper, Kepu
Hookers (2): TPN, Moore, Fainga'a
Locks (4): Horwill, Timani, Simmons, Douglas
Backrow (5): Higgers, Smith, Palu, Gill, Hooper, Mowen
Centres (4): Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe, Lealiifano
Wingers (2): Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor)
Fullback (1): Folau

That's assuming McCabe is okay but I think Horne would have moved into most likely starting 12 now.

Dennis could get the nod over Mowen but for his lineout work and ability to play 6 or 8 Mowen would have to be next in line. Surely?

The suggestion from Bret Harris yesterday that Phipps will be the backup 9 worries me as Harris appears to get ARU info that others don't.
Did Palu actually do anything last night? he must be on borrowed time and reputation.
My inside mail is that JOC (James O'Connor) will be 10

Status
Not open for further replies.