• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just come in on the AAP news wires......... ;)

Expect to see it copy and pasted in news sites shortly.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FYI.........

RU:Kimlin the Wallabies bolter
RU Lions Aust
By Jim Morton

BRISBANE, June 10 AAP - Brumbies forward Peter Kimlin is the bolter selection in the Wallabies squad for the three-Test series against the touring the British and Irish Lions.

Australian Rugby Union officials confirmed Kimlin will be among the final 31-man Australian squad to be named later on Monday.

After coach Robbie Deans on Sunday revealed that troubled fullback Kurtley Beale would be added to the group and winger Digby Ioane was working his way back after a knee operation, Kimlin is among four other additions.

Fellow Brumbies players Scott Sio and Pat McCabe and recently-returned Rebels halfback Luke Burgess are also set to be announced in the 31-man squad.

A lock or blindside flanker, Kimlin, who has signed to play with French club Grenoble at the end of the year, played both his two Tests in 2009, making his debut against Italy in the opening international of the year in Canberra.

He produced his best display of the 2013 season at the right time on Friday night when he starred as captain in a big Super Rugby win over the Melbourne Rebels.

His inclusion throws doubt over the prospects of Western Force forward Hugh McMeniman who made his return from a shoulder injury in the Force's loss to NSW on Sunday afternoon.

The Wallabies' start to a five-day training camp on the Sunshine Coast has been hampered by heavy rain as they have been forced to look further afield in Caloundra with training ground Stockland Stadium under water on Monday.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Beale doesn't tick the first 3.

I am now convinced you just make it up as you go along. Beale is not a physical or direct player. At 10 he often runs sideways and in the last few years his error count for the wallabies has been very high. The amount of times he pushes passes or looses the ball in contact is right up there on a percentage basis with Cooper.

Cooper's two biggest issues are: charge downs and intercepts. Easy to fix if you want him in the side - let someone else take clearing kicks and play with a deeper attacking line.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Will the Brumbies even have four props when the BIL come knocking? Murphy out, Sio and Alexander called up - Ruan Smith and Dan Palmer on the field, nobody on the bench?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Will the Brumbies even have four props when the BIL come knocking? Murphy out, Sio and Alexander called up - Ruan Smith and Dan Palmer on the field, nobody on the bench?

Hopefully Palmer will make it onto the field for that match........

I'm guessing there's going to be a few lucky Canberra players getting quite an opportunity.........

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Scotty, what is Cooper's value add?
If you don't trust him with his flat passes at the line, then why on earth would you pick him?

If he plays in the pocket, there are much better options than him.
If you remove all of his mistake making actions,you remove his value add.
It's these high risk plays that make him dangerous......for both sides.

And that is the issue.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Quade, obviously trying to impress Deans and follow Beale's path back into the Wallaby squad, was involved in a boozy pub incident over the weekend....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ith-pub-incident/story-e6frg7o6-1226660987983

He probably laments not punching a teammate after being omitted from the squad... :oops:

Not going to hold Quade to a higher standard than myself. Chances are if you tip a drink over me, I will knock your fucking block off.

I am glad he didn't for his sake but I wouldn't blame him for dropping that dickhead if he did.

We can all be holier than thou but even the best of men have their breaking limit and nobody needs to put up with that crap.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Didnt Jones want to set up (or did he in fact set up - thats how good my memory is) a scrum school?

About halfway through the reign of Jones from memory, the ARU funded a scrum school at the behest of Topo. It wasn't a formal part of Jones' coaching setup. Where is that scrum school now? Why isn't Topo involved now?

T

TOCC

About halfway through the reign of Jones from memory, the ARU funded a scrum school at the behest of Topo. It wasn't a formal part of Jones' coaching setup. Where is that scrum school now? Why isn't Topo involved now?

Did it actually get set up? I thought Eddie Jones made a request or at least claimed that he requested a scrum school be setup by the ARU, then tried deflecting some of the Wallabies abysmal scrummaging problems onto the ARU because they hadn't set the program up.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Deans should move on no matter what the results of the lions tests are. 5 years is more than enough for any international coach especially a very average one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I don't disagree Sully but good luck with that.

I don't believe any set time is appropriate but a history of progressing the national side despite the way the game is played is constantly evolving is a must. Mr Deans just hasn't done that.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Did it actually get set up? I thought Eddie Jones made a request or at least claimed that he requested a scrum school be setup by the ARU, then tried deflecting some of the Wallabies abysmal scrummaging problems onto the ARU because they hadn't set the program up.

Topo was running a school. I thought it got ARU sanction but then again maybe not I am doubting my memory now.

I know Jones tried to deflect some of the responsibility for poor scrummaging when Connolly took over but the fact remains that his sides didn't concentrate on the scrum. It was a restart and parity was all that was needed at best. The rationale was that scrums were a small part of the game and as a percentage of the primary possession rated far lower than the Lineout. As the ultimate Stats man Jones justified the total lack of concentration and setting KPIs for props that didn't have anything to do with the scrum on this. Indeed if you look at the props at the time some technically good props and people who had been junior with great potential concentrated all their training and development in areas away from the set piece. Eg. Dunning, Baxter. Contrary to popular belief they were good props in the early days but they wanted to play for the Wallabies and hence did the things required to make that selection. Consequently so many props followed suit and it was years before scrummaging started to come good, but when al the props in the country had neglected the art the whole basis has to be rebuilt from the start. The neglect is still being felt.

Status
Not open for further replies.