• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
C9 reporting tis morning that Marky will be an the Olympic sevens team, and RA have also denied an early release request from the Roosters. I don't know if the latter was required to facilitate the former? Edit: it was apparently, but it means he can't play for the Roosters this year as they will miss the June 30 deadline. Wonder if Schmidt will keep an open mind on him for the RC?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
That June 30 deadline is for transfers within the NRL. It's being reported as a blocker but it hasn't really been tested yet in a situation like this. There's every chance the roosters (and titans for Gordon) will still try for an early release afterwards, particularly because the focus is more on getting them into the game as it is needing them at the top level right now.

It does mean he's still technically in contention for the Rugby Championship, but Toole will also be available then and Petaia (assuming he stays) should be back from injury, both of whom are ahead of Nawaqanitawase on form. Add in foreign players like Koroibete probably being considered for selection then and it'd probably take an injury crisis for Nawaqanitawase to get the call up.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m against letting contracted players go early to league.

it will open a Pandora’s box for NRL to swoop in mid season for recruitment of off contract rugby players.

In a silver lining kind of way Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) going to Olympics will be free publicity down the track for rugby union when commentators refer to him as an Olympian.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I’m against letting contracted players go early to league.

it will open a Pandora’s box for NRL to swoop in mid season for recruitment of off contract rugby players.

It's also a way to save a fairly significant amount of cash.

Personally I think RA should be far more willing to release players from contracts early if the Wallabies or Sevens coach doesn't view them as a key selection piece.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
So we pay a player a full years salary to play 6 months of professional rugby?

CG and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) have every chance to be successes in League and next year June 2025 the league recruiters will be circling our game looking at opportunity to upgrade their team at the mid season June 30 window.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry I’m confused if you have a 1 year professional rugby contract your only obligation to the game is super rugby. It’s like a 12-16 week competition.

I do understand the money you are saving by releasing. My point is there’s not enough rugby on offer for professional rugby players that they essentially don’t have any commitments (other then Club rugby) from July thru to the start of next super rugby season

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sorry I’m confused if you have a 1 year professional rugby contract your only obligation to the game is super rugby. It’s like a 12-16 week competition.

I do understand the money you are saving by releasing. My point is there’s not enough rugby on offer for professional rugby players that they essentially don’t have any commitments (other then Club rugby) from July thru to the start of next super rugby season

Players are not just paid from February to May.

Salaries are spread evenly across either the whole year or very close to it. So if you grant someone an early release to take up another contract you are saving whatever money was left in their contract for that year.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Players are not just paid from February to May.

Salaries are spread evenly across either the whole year or very close to it. So if you grant someone an early release to take up another contract you are saving whatever money was left in their contract for that year.

understood - I was more having a gripe about how little professional rugby these contracted players play.

professional players from jan - June
Club rugby July - dec (unless contracted to the wallabies)

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
RA contracting period is November-October.

If you let a player go "today", 4 months of their wages is off the books.
There does appear to be some flex in this now though - Hanigan is apparently only contracted until June 30 and is off the books and free to head to France after that. Might be due to his mid season return from Japan when this contract started, not sure how common it is otherwise.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Canham’s comments when signing with the Reds that he needs to work on his tight game would seem to echo those passed to him from Wallabies as well. Which I don’t disagree with, his ruck/maul work isn’t nearly as good as other aspects of his game.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I really appreciated the fact that it sounds like Schmidt didn't just have a conversation but went in with some prepared analysis for him, focusing on what he was doing right as much as what he needs to do going forward.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member