• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Exactly it's a silly selection, just a feel god story and a headline.

He's only played a few games for the Force and like I said he was okay but certainly not demanding of a test spot
Unfortunately, I think it's probably more than just a feel good story. It shits me to tears that he's in the squad, but looking at the makeup of the squad I reckon he is likely to feature as the No 23 for at least some of the upcoming tests.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Appreciate these posts (and your others in this thread), BR.

Wales gain double points as an away team. We'll go close to dropping out of the 10 with 2 loses. If we lose to Georgia, which is a game we should definitely post our best 23, I can't see how we stay ahead of Fiji. For those not watching the rankings closely, we lose 1 win 1 against Wales and the chances are they go ahead of us and we drop to 10. Lose to Georgia away and Fiji goes to 10.

I'd agree that Schmidt is not going to provide the drivel that EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) did, but I'm not impressed at what seems a lack of drive to get into training. Further to your note on time, I doubt there is a game plan of any depth that can be implemented in two weeks, the same two weeks that you are sorting out who the 23 are. I don't think that could be done at school level.

The Wallabies dropped below "meh" under EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones), it seems unlikely that they raise above it in the next few tests. Even with Schmidt.
I agree with this but expect a harder coach with brains and experience in taking losing teams and building them will set us up well during his two-year stint. You can turn things around quickly in sport as in war or business and a coach who has respect and builds confidence but wields a sharp axe could get half of this squad up to international level.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unfortunately, I think it's probably more than just a feel good story. It shits me to tears that he's in the squad, but looking at the makeup of the squad I reckon he is likely to feature as the No 23 for at least some of the upcoming tests.
Don't think so BR, I suspect he is there as an imparter of knowledge like Quade was thought to become in the RWC before Eddie went mad.
I hope that Joe Schmidt brings James O'Connor in to add some knowledge to the youngsters - not to play of course.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Excuse my bluntness but what ethereal knowledge are these blokes imparting? Of the guys you mention stillmissit - Beale, Quade and JOC (James O'Connor) have beaten the all blacks a collective 5 times in nearly 15 years and the stats for wins against South Africa aren’t much better. I mention those two as they are mostly the benchmark we have set ourselves against in tests during that period.

Rugby is at an all time low in this country and those guys definitely arent the main driving factor, but the reality is we’ve had pretty much two generations now of really average players and no silverware. Rip the Band-Aid off and stop pretending like the wallabies will win games with these blokes in the squad.

capalaba

Chris McKivat (8)
Effective at what? Plodding around in the backfield for a team that won 4 games all year?

Experience for the sake of experience doesn’t necessarily add value. We aren’t talking about a bloke who’s played in the golden era of rugby and is going to galvanise a young team.

Looking at his stats he’s won around 60% of games he’s played in for the Wallabies. Time to move these blokes along.
Plodding along? The Force had some good wins. I think you are missing the point of experience and the value it brings.

The Wallaby backs collectively lack test experience his presence and what he brings in the background as well, we as fans will not be privy to but to the players it is invaluable.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If you look at the ‘development‘ team I posted a few pages back it’s not hard to see why Kurtley is in the squad, we literally have no depth in our backs. If we are down by a point with 5 to go against Wales and have to send a player on I’d back Beale to get us home more than the junkyard dog, and if he doesn’t it’s not going to be as devastating as it would be for a promising debutante.

On that, I mentioned this a while ago, I went to a lunch where Schmidt was speaking, he really rates JYD but pretty much admitted he wouldn’t be picking him because he needs to bulk up.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Excuse my bluntness but what ethereal knowledge are these blokes imparting? Of the guys you mention stillmissit - Beale, Quade and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) have beaten the all blacks a collective 5 times in nearly 15 years and the stats for wins against South Africa aren’t much better. I mention those two as they are mostly the benchmark we have set ourselves against in tests during that period.

Rugby is at an all time low in this country and those guys definitely arent the main driving factor, but the reality is we’ve had pretty much two generations now of really average players and no silverware. Rip the Band-Aid off and stop pretending like the wallabies will win games with these blokes in the squad.
Can't scream an argument Phil but who else do we have with any experience at all? Not a fan of Beale as an elder statesman but maybe some of the young guys might be.
Just a thought comparison, I wonder how many times some of the Wales players have beaten England? Might be heaps and I ain't going looking for a useless stat......

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you look at the ‘development‘ team I posted a few pages back it’s not hard to see why Kurtley is in the squad, we literally have no depth in our backs. If we are down by a point with 5 to go against Wales and have to send a player on I’d back Beale to get us home more than the junkyard dog, and if he doesn’t it’s not going to be as devastating as it would be for a promising debutante.

On that, I mentioned this a while ago, I went to a lunch where Schmidt was speaking, he really rates JYD but pretty much admitted he wouldn’t be picking him because he needs to bulk up.
JYD needs to bulk up? There goes some of that speed and elusiveness.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Regarding the selected team, I wouldn't have selected Beale, however I can see why he's there, particularly given how few experienced 15's we have at this level. Should Wright implode or get injured, we are very light on. Having said that, if it were me I would have opted for Campbell.
Looking at the rest of the squad, I would have Swain over Blyth, Gamble over Gleeson, Lonergan over Gordon and Kuenzle over Feluiai, but I guess that's why I'm not the Wallaby coach.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Regarding the selected team, I wouldn't have selected Beale, however I can see why he's there, particularly given how few experienced 15's we have at this level. Should Wright implode or get injured, we are very light on. Having said that, if it were me I would have opted for Campbell.
Looking at the rest of the squad, I would have Swain over Blyth, Gamble over Gleeson, Lonergan over Gordon and Kuenzle over Feluiai, but I guess that's why I'm not the Wallaby coach.
Agree with all of these Froggy.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
JYD needs to bulk up? There goes some of that speed and elusiveness.
What he actually said was that he generally isn’t a fan of wasting valuable training time with gym work, but JYD is someone that needs to visit it a bit more regularly. I could be wrong but my interpretation was that he wasn‘t sending him off to the gym to improve his beep test.

Last edited:

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Most will disagree with me, but I am opposed to the idea of not selecting the players who are going overseas. I get that Schmidt is looking to build to the Lions tour, and that's important, and he's the coach and it's his head on the line, but I have two objections.
The first is my fundamental belief that representing Australia in any sport is the highest honour there is, and should never be cheapened. That means that at any time the Wallabies should comprise the best 23 players available, the players going overseas (or to League) are available, and if any of them are in the best 23 they should be selected..
Secondly, rugby in Australia is at a crisis level at the moment following the WC and the Eddie Jones disaster. We must beat what is, essentially a very weak Welsh side, at least once and ideally twice, we must beat Georgia, and we must have at least two and ideally three wins in the RC. If we don't, by next year no-one is going give a rats what we're doing when the Lions get here, we are already a joke on just about any all-sports show you choose to watch or listen to. Now I'm not saying we won't with this side, I will be there, yelling and hoping, but our best chance is with our best 23 players.
Disagree all you like, it's just my opinion.

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
I don't really agree with the argument that Beale is only there because he is experienced. In the outside backs we have Kellaway and Wright who have both played over 20 tests that is not a lack of experience. I think he has selected him as a utility back along with Daugunu to make sure he can cover all backline positions. The issue he has is Noah is a 10 and only a 10, Donaldson can cover 15 at a pinch but the backline does lack multi-position players. If he still had the option of a Hodge type he would have selected him I am sure but I think Duagunu and Beale are the best utility backs he can find.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't really agree with the argument that Beale is only there because he is experienced. In the outside backs we have Kellaway and Wright who have both played over 20 tests that is not a lack of experience. I think he has selected him as a utility back along with Daugunu to make sure he can cover all backline positions. The issue he has is Noah is a 10 and only a 10, Donaldson can cover 15 at a pinch but the backline does lack multi-position players. If he still had the option of a Hodge type he would have selected him I am sure but I think Duagunu and Beale are the best utility backs he can find.
Kuenzle is a utility and I would also have gone with him. Daugunu earned his spot. 12 is where we really lack depth. Both KB (Kurtley Beale) and Kuenzle can play there Among other positions.

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
Kuenzle is a utility and I would also have gone with him. Daugunu earned his spot. 12 is where we really lack depth. Both KB (Kurtley Beale) (Kurtley Beale) and Kuenzle can play there Among other positions.
I don't disagree at all. I also would have preferred Kuenzle as that 2nd utility back but I was simply saying that I think that it is his utility rather than his experience that got him the nod. Also, let's be brutally honest he is not the first name that jumps out at you when you suggest you need someone to impart wisdom and mentor the younger squad members.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I don't disagree at all. I also would have preferred Kuenzle as that 2nd utility back but I was simply saying that I think that it is his utility rather than his experience that got him the nod. Also, let's be brutally honest he is not the first name that jumps out at you when you suggest you need someone to impart wisdom and mentor the younger squad members.
He isn’t popular amongst the GAGR community but by all accounts is very popular with the players. Do a search on it, it’s not just me saying it.