• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can’t believe how unfit Tupou is. He is a 15-20 player at best based on his fitness. What do they do at training with the bloke? He does not deserve his pay at present. At his best, he is fantastic but we need him fit and more out of him. I also agree that the size of our players is just not big enough. Our forwards have no real mongrel and backs are small in comparison to other Test nations. Joe Schmidt will be at his coaching best to get a side playing to a winning style. I live in hope.
I think Tupoa is overweight and unfit as you say. He is carrying a massive amount on his frame. why the coaches have not scaled him down is a mystery to me as he would still be a handful but his speed and time on the field would go up.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah it's line ball isn't it and as you say, very much dependent on the preferred game style. I'd pick Charlie if we are aiming to play an up tempo, multi-phase ball in hand kind of game. I'd go with Harry if the intent is to try and do damage closer to the ruck first and offload in contact.

Both have their strengths and I reckon they've both been outstanding this season.
Maybe Cale if dry and Wilson if wet?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
These Cale v Wilson stats are interesting. Probably depends on which is your preference as to which ones you focus on!
Does anyone have the stats of metres/inches post contact? I think we just don't focus enough on leg drive and getting through the tackle

Run metres can be skewed by a couple of big runs against shit sides like the Tahs

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is from before the weekend...

Screen Shot 2024-06-17 at 1.39.10 pm.png

Screen Shot 2024-06-17 at 1.39.26 pm.png

Screen Shot 2024-06-17 at 1.39.47 pm.png

Screen Shot 2024-06-17 at 1.40.13 pm.png

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Does anyone have the stats of metres/inches post contact? I think we just don't focus enough on leg drive and getting through the tackle

Run metres can be skewed by a couple of big runs against shit sides like the Tahs
This is the issue with all run stats isn't it?

Tom Wright had 155 runs for 1239m. Pretty much just a measure of who fields a lot of kick returns

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think Tupoa is overweight and unfit as you say. He is carrying a massive amount on his frame. why the coaches have not scaled him down is a mystery to me as he would still be a handful but his speed and time on the field would go up.
I would be shocked if it hasn't been broached to him.

Weirdly enough I think a year in France would benefit him as he's complacent in Super Rugby. They won't put up with his discipline and fitness issues, especially given he won't have the leverage of threatening to go OS that he has in Australia.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This is the issue with all run stats isn't it?

Tom Wright had 155 runs for 1239m. Pretty much just a measure of who fields a lot of kick returns
I think run metres is a lot more pertinent to a number 8 than a fullback. Fullbacks would more likely be judged on line breaks or try assists/involvements.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I think run metres is a lot more pertinent to a number 8 than a fullback. Fullbacks would more likely be judged on line breaks or try assists/involvements
All things being equal, sure.

But some #8s drop back and collect kick returns on occasion, and some don't. Some run back the goal line drop out, and some don't. etc etc

Without this context it kind of doesn't mean much. It's not just a measure of how good their hit-ups go

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
All things being equal, sure.

But some #8s drop back and collect kick returns on occasion, and some don't. Some run back the goal line drop out, and some don't. etc etc

Without this context it kind of doesn't mean much. It's not just a measure of how good their hit-ups go
Well yeah but that's the general limitation with all statistical analysis.

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I don't know which other outside backs you'd have in the 23 besides Kellaway & Wright

- Jorgensen & Petaia - injured
- Korobiete - unavailable
- Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) & Toole - Sevens

May have to bring in Peitsch, Ryan, Lancaster & Muirhead
I assume Koroibete must be coming in with Toole off.
I would be shocked if it hasn't been broached to him.

Weirdly enough I think a year in France would benefit him as he's complacent in Super Rugby. They won't put up with his discipline and fitness issues, especially given he won't have the leverage of threatening to go OS that he has in Australia.

I don't think Tupou going to France will get him fitter, they have rolling subs and their props are huuuuuuuge.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I don't know which other outside backs you'd have in the 23 besides Kellaway & Wright

You would have to assume that Toole has been told he hasn't been selected, or that the Olympics is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and then they bring him back into the fold. From that list it's probably Pietcsh, but I'm also reliably informed that Marky hasn't been written off yet.

Homer

Larry Dwyer (12)

From an ARU perspective, having both sevens teams win medals would be a huge marketing success and a massive boost for the sport. Toole can shoot back to the Wobblies prior to the northern tour.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
From an ARU perspective, having both sevens teams win medals would be a huge marketing success and a massive boost for the sport. Toole can shoot back to the Wobblies prior to the northern tour.
Not just that. The way Olympic funding works, you could literally save millions through good performance as the government will supply decent funding. If we flop funding could drop to almost 0.

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not just that. The way Olympic funding works, you could literally save millions through good performance as the government will supply decent funding. If we flop funding could drop to almost 0.
Good to keep loose forward/backs talent playing sevens in Australia instead of disappearing off to league or OS never to be seen again.

Even better if it's the government's shout thanks to the Olympic angle.

Best if medaling gets the younger generation into sevens as a gateway drug to 15s. Charlotte Caslick is massive on instagram and could really inspire more girls to give rugby a go.