• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Homer

Larry Dwyer (12)
When do you think squad will be announced? With the Brumbies likely knocked out. I remember Rennie announced his the day after the Brumbies went out in 2022.
On Stan they said by the end of the week.
Although Schmidt had been saying they will only get five sessions together after the Super Rugby final so why not announce now and get them in camp this week.

Filipo Daugunu

Peter Burge (5)
On Stan they said by the end of the week.
Although Schmidt had been saying they will only get five sessions together after the Super Rugby final so why not announce now and get them in camp this week.
This is exactly what i don't understand. It is three weeks until the first test. Why are they waiting the entire week to name the squad.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Based on the current numbers/names from other franchises you’d expect that pretty much all the fit Wallabies eligible Brumbies players will be named in the initial squad.

When it gets paired back I assume Schmidt will look for the core group of Brumbies complemented by players to plug a few holes with a particular emphasis on size/power. I feel like the Rebels may be the big winners of the last 2 weekends results. The Reds and Brumbies both did plenty well this year but Aussie teams continue to get blown away by power when it counts. I feel like the stocks of guys like Uelese, Tupou, Salakai-Loto, Leota & Lancaster all probably rose relative to others.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
TSR, the Aussie teams look to be short on strong, power players in the forwards compared with the Blues and Chiefs in particular. I can see LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) filling a gap in the second row because he can challenge the defensive line and often make a half break or more, but he does need to prove his fitness somehow before the first test. Tupou is the obvious option for the front row, but his form hardly warrants a Wallaby spot right now and certainly not in front of Ala'alatoa. Holloway has his moments but isn't even in the train on squad. Beyond that, there is little to choose in the way of potential dominating forwards. I fear that Rodda will be seen as part of the solution but tbh he is one of the weakest ball carriers and tacklers in the Aussie sides.

Hopefully, Schmidt can put together a solid pack of 8 plus reserves to take on Wales and Georgia, but I can't see it bringing sufficient power to be dominating.

My pick would probably be :

1 Slipper (Bell if fit), 2 Faessler (BPA if he's available), 3 Ala'alatoa, 4 Frost, 5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), 6 Valetini, 7 McReight, 8 Cale.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
TSR, the Aussie teams look to be short on strong, power players in the forwards compared with the Blues and Chiefs in particular. I can see LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) filling a gap in the second row because he can challenge the defensive line and often make a half break or more, but he does need to prove his fitness somehow before the first test. Tupou is the obvious option for the front row, but his form hardly warrants a Wallaby spot right now and certainly not in front of Ala'alatoa. Holloway has his moments but isn't even in the train on squad. Beyond that, there is little to choose in the way of potential dominating forwards. I fear that Rodda will be seen as part of the solution but tbh he is one of the weakest ball carriers and tacklers in the Aussie sides.

Hopefully, Schmidt can put together a solid pack of 8 plus reserves to take on Wales and Georgia, but I can't see it bringing sufficient power to be dominating.

My pick would probably be :

1 Slipper (Bell if fit), 2 Faessler (BPA if he's available), 3 Ala'alatoa, 4 Frost, 5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), 6 Valetini, 7 McReight, 8 Cale.
I agree physicality isn’t the biggest feature of Rodda’s game - but we otherwise disagree on him and I know I’m not going to convince you otherwise so I’ll leave it at that.

But a power player to balance him would be good. Salakai-Loto at his best is that player but he’s always been inconsistent in the past. Agree he needs to prove he is fit.

I’m surprised you have Frost in front of Swain. Frost has some good attributes but I do think it’s ironic you’re bagging Rodda for his lack of physicality and yet you pick Frost.

I’d lean towards either Swain or Rodda with Salakai-Loto (assuming he does prove fitness) and then the other of Swain & Rodda on the bench.

Tupou definitely struggling but I think Ala'alatoa is being given an easy pass on here. At the moment he’s a shadow of his former self. He has enough class to not be horrid but that’s about it. I think there is an argument to start Nonggorr in front of both of them but, whilst I’ve been really happy with him this year, realistically he still has some way to go. Slipper looks done to me. Happy for him to prove me wrong.

Cale has been great this year. If he gets his chance he deserves it and good luck to him. I fear he may also be the sort of player though who is going to struggle at test level to have meaningful impact. If anything I’d be inclined to bring him off the bench initially. Of course the problem with that is whose game is better suited. I rate Holloway too and surprised he’s been left out entirely. I do think Uru could be an option - but probably red tinted glasses. Leota would definitely give the pack more punch.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I agree physicality isn’t the biggest feature of Rodda’s game - but we otherwise disagree on him and I know I’m not going to convince you otherwise so I’ll leave it at that.

But a power player to balance him would be good. Salakai-Loto at his best is that player but he’s always been inconsistent in the past. Agree he needs to prove he is fit.

I’m surprised you have Frost in front of Swain. Frost has some good attributes but I do think it’s ironic you’re bagging Rodda for his lack of physicality and yet you pick Frost.

I’d lean towards either Swain or Rodda with Salakai-Loto (assuming he does prove fitness) and then the other of Swain & Rodda on the bench.

Tupou definitely struggling but I think Ala'alatoa is being given an easy pass on here. At the moment he’s a shadow of his former self. He has enough class to not be horrid but that’s about it. I think there is an argument to start Nonggorr in front of both of them but, whilst I’ve been really happy with him this year, realistically he still has some way to go. Slipper looks done to me. Happy for him to prove me wrong.

Cale has been great this year. If he gets his chance he deserves it and good luck to him. I fear he may also be the sort of player though who is going to struggle at test level to have meaningful impact. If anything I’d be inclined to bring him off the bench initially. Of course the problem with that is whose game is better suited. I rate Holloway too and surprised he’s been left out entirely. I do think Uru could be an option - but probably red tinted glasses. Leota would definitely give the pack more punch.
Uru is a good option and not just through red tinted glasses. I'd have no issue with him at 6 and RV at 8 with Cale on the bench. I go with Charlie Cale because he has got a real point of difference from others in the back row. He has exceptional speed for a loose forward, is probably the best defensive lineout jumper, has excellent tackle stats and defends anywhere across the field with his speed, is extra good at setting up his wingers on attack and hits numerous rucks per game. While others can do some of these things, Charlie looks to be the whole package.

Again, I'd have no issue with Swain in place of Frost, and while I think Darcy has had his best year yet in 2024 I also think Nick Frost has a lot more potential and offers more speed and height than others in the contest for the lock spots do.

If Tupou doesn't make the effort to get fit and find some form, then Nonggorr would be my preferred backup to Allan A who had an outstanding game against the Blues yesterday.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree on Frosts potential.

if like to see us start not picking some more of these guys with potential until they are closer too it.

To be honest that is part of my hesitation with Cale too. But I think the difference there is that he has probably been the form player on his position so, even though I think he could benefit from being held back he probably deserves his spot. Not sure the same applies to Frost.

Incidentally I feel that it is likely that one of the reasons Swain has had his best year is that he’s had a few more years to develop his game.

capalaba

Chris McKivat (8)
I'll have to say I disagree with the last few posts about our forwards. The main issue the Wallabies have v NZ are the undersized backs. Look at the Chiefs and Blues backlines compared to the Reds and Brumbies. The size differences are immense.

NZ teams have been focused on running at the smaller backs and committing 4-5 players at rhe breakdown which forced turn overs.

Need a rushing defence and fully commit to the breakdown. Tactically NZ gameplay changed over the later rounds while Aussie tactics remained the same.

Need.a forward pack that can scrum and is mobile, they need to hit the breakdown in waves, fitness needs to be on point. Pods out wide stop the initial ball carrier, then hit them with another 2 forwards at least. NZ are running 4-5 players at most breakdowns.

1. Hodgman
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Canham
7. McReight
8. Valetini

Last edited:

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
1. Hodgman / Slipper
2. Faessler / Uelese
3. AAA / Tupou ( even start him for 30 )
4. Hooper / Swain
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) / Swain
6 Wright /Cale
7 McReight / Wright
8 Valetini / Cale

Hooper probably hasn't been as dominate as I'd like this season, but his a the next best ball carrier after LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and his also got a massive engine.

That be my starters and reserves and who they might swap with or cover

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'll have to say I disagree with the last few posts about our forwards. The main issue the Wallabies have v NZ are the undersized backs. Look at the Chiefs and Blues backlines compared to the Reds and Brumbies. The size differences are immense.

NZ teams have been focused on running at the smaller backs and committing 4-5 players at rhe breakdown which forced turn overs.

Need a rushing defence and fully commit to the breakdown. Tactically NZ gameplay changed over the later rounds while Aussie tactics remained the same.

Need.a forward pack that can scrum and is mobile, they need to hit the breakdown in waves, fitness needs to be on point. Pods out wide stop the initial ball carrier, then hit them with another 2 forwards at least. NZ are running 4-5 players at most breakdowns.

1. Hodgman
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Canham
7. McReight
8. Valetini

I'm OK with the tight five, but if it's a mobile pack we want I'd get Cale in there because he's rapid and has a big motor. He would allow that spot tackle in the wider channels and attacking the breakdown I think.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

1. Hodgman
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Canham
7. McReight
8. Valetini
I doubt we'll see a rush defence with the coaching staff we have, it's not really the way any of them have run their teams/defence in the past.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
No way Canham is looked at as a 6. If you want a tall hybrid type player then surely Hooper/Frost/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Cale fill that spot before him.
Canham is worthy of a squad spot and maybe a run against Georgia. He's a lock for the future no doubt.
If the plan is to bring in Skelton for the RC then likely Schmidt will play someone like Rodda in his place to get us moving in that direction from the get go.