• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon he is happy with Donaldson as the reserve, and doesn't rate Lynagh at this stage (although this may be just my bias because I don't think Lynagh is fast enough, strong enough or physical enough for test rugby at this stage)
His reluctance to bring Donaldson on would suggest otherwise

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Donaldson has been the starter for two tests this year (Georgia and one against Argentina unless I'm forgetting a third) and come off the bench in a couple more. Schmidt has certainly had plenty of opportunity to look at his play both in training and match situations.

I think it's pretty clear that he considers Lolesio as the first choice so far and on that basis it makes sense to take a proper look at another backup option who has clearly made a case for himself with his play in the NZ NPC.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I just don't think he wants to change the 10 in game, whoever it is, at all, and is only doing so because he needs to get game time into them somehow.

If Lolesio is unavailable, Donaldson starts.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just don't think he wants to change the 10 in game, whoever it is, at all, and is only doing so because he needs to get game time into them somehow.

If Lolesio is unavailable, Donaldson starts.
And he will struggle as he hasn't played much rugby lately and then will be dropped again

It's a vicious circle that inevitably means Lolesio gets infinitely more chances despite never showing us anything

tig

Bob McCowan (2)
I don't hate the idea of Edmed coming off the bench if he can carry some of his attacking skill from NPC over to international. I'd still be starting Lolesio though for the purposes of cohesion. Ideally my backline for the end of year tour would be:

9. McDermott
10. Lolesio
11. Pietsch/Sua'ali'i
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright

21. Gordon
22. Edmed
23. Pietsch/Sua'ali'i
I greatly admire Kellaway for a lot of reasons - but I still think he is not fast enough.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
I would like to see Sua'ali'i start against Bristol on November 8th and England A on Nov 17th. Then if he completely dominates quickly transfer him over to the Wallabies squad for the last 2 tests. Would rather see him play than hold tackle bags for the main squad. That same strategy could apply for some others as well that need game time.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
He's useful as he can cover 10, 15. Is a guy like Stewart more useful? Either way it's picking between guys who aren't going to spin a Test on it's head.

With you on Lynagh at this stage. He looks 2-3 seasons off really but he gets a crack because there isn't much better in front of him... Currently he's Bryce Hegarty with a famous surname right now but can he become a George Ford Type? I hope so. The Reds have the strongest squad in the country next year so he will get a great chance to grow and play behind a good pack.
You might get a bit of pushback from a few of our Southern NSW friends on this.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
And he will struggle as he hasn't played much rugby lately and then will be dropped again

It's a vicious circle that inevitably means Lolesio gets infinitely more chances despite never showing us anything
As some punters now think Edmed should be given a chance, what happens if he flounders at Test level? Another one on the scrap heap? If Lolesio is our best though, I’ll give it up. Donno has had limited game time since late May. You're right Tom .. how do they usurp Noah with no game time?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As some punters now think Edmed should be given a chance, what happens if he flounders at Test level? Another one on the scrap heap? If Lolesio is our best though, I’ll give it up. Donno has had limited game time since late May. You're right Tom .. how do they usurp Noah with no game time?

They've had game time. It's not like Donaldson has been purely trying to make his case on the training paddock. He's started 2 out of our 9 tests this season and come off the bench in some others. Lynagh has had a bunch of cameos off the bench.

If they want to show that they deserve more opportunity then they need to really show it in the opportunities they're given.

Otherwise we end up exactly where we are. That none of them are clearly better than Lolesio so you may as well stick with the guy you initially thought was the best option.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
They've had game time. It's not like Donaldson has been purely trying to make his case on the training paddock. He's started 2 out of our 9 tests this season and come off the bench in some others. Lynagh has had a bunch of cameos off the bench.

If they want to show that they deserve more opportunity then they need to really show it in the opportunities they're given.

Otherwise we end up exactly where we are. That none of them are clearly better than Lolesio so you may as well stick with the guy you initially thought was the best option.
But that’s the problem, it’s much harder to push your case when you are yo-yo’d in and out of the team. We wouldn’t know if any of them are better than Noah because none of them have been given a decent shot at it

Donaldson has looked good in his cameos and had the attack humming in the first half vs Argentina. Would be good to see him get 3 starts in a row to build something

Noah has not shown anything to deserve this continued preferential treatment

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)

That is true Braveheart. Donno hasn’t grabbed his two starting games this year with gusto, although I thought the first half v Argentina was the best the backs have looked this year? Then when he was replaced, the team was absolutely flogged. My only thoughts are Noah has started most of his 25 Tests while Donno only a few… and Noah is definitely not outstandingly better by any means. Surely a succession of starting Tests for Donaldson would be a way of showing who is better at Test level? He has been stuffed around by Eddie and Coleman at the Tahs moving between 15, 10 and the bench. Thought under Cron this year he has shown his best form starting every week at 10. The 9 position is no clearer and I don’t actually think anyone in the backline has really stood up to be outstandingly great.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
But that’s the problem, it’s much harder to push your case when you are yo-yo’d in and out of the team. We wouldn’t know if any of them are better than Noah because none of them have been given a decent shot at it

Donaldson has looked good in his cameos and had the attack humming in the first half vs Argentina. Would be good to see him get 3 starts in a row to build something

We are on the same page Tom.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That is true Braveheart. Donno hasn’t grabbed his two starting games this year with gusto, although I thought the first half v Argentina was the best the backs have looked this year? Then when he was replaced, the team was absolutely flogged. My only thoughts are Noah has started most of his 25 Tests while Donno only a few… and Noah is definitely not outstandingly better by any means. Surely a succession of starting Tests for Donaldson would be a way of showing who is better at Test level? He has been stuffed around by Eddie and Coleman at the Tahs moving between 15, 10 and the bench. Thought under Cron this year he has shown his best form starting every week at 10. The 9 position is no clearer and I don’t actually think anyone in the backline has really stood up to be outstandingly great.

I think they are all average with not much between the lot of the them.

So we might as well just pick and stick; and hope for some cohesion

And "if" we see a consistent, dominant performance in Super Rugby from someone who delivers so well that he demands a change, then OK, we change, until then it is moving chairs on the titanic

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
We wouldn’t know if any of them are better than Noah because none of them have been given a decent shot at it

It's pretty boring on a forum, but at some point, I reckon you just have to trust that the very experienced international coach, whose job is on the line, who sees all his options at training everyday and who watches far more footage than any of us could ever do, knows what he is doing with his 10s

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's pretty boring on a forum, but at some point, I reckon you just have to trust that the very experienced international coach, whose job is on the line, who sees all his options at training everyday and who watches far more footage than any of us could ever do, knows what he is doing with his 10s
Friendly reminder that Eddie Jones is a "very experienced international coach"

Blind trust in a human being never being wrong isn't a great strategy

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think they are all average with not much between the lot of the them.

So we might as well just pick and stick; and hope for some cohesion

And "if" we see a consistent, dominant performance in Super Rugby from someone who delivers so well that he demands a change, then OK, we change, until then it is moving chairs on the titanic
Yeah lets just keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result

Cole

Peter Burge (5)
Schmidt has shown his preferred 10 is Lolesio and of recent games he's played him the full 80 minutes or close to it. Donno might be better served to play the first or both Aus A games on tour so he can actually put some decent game time together

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I personally prefer Donaldson (which of course means nothing), but I don't think there's a lot between them and I don't really think either of them are tier one test level 10's. I also think that is our issue at 9, 10 and 12, and without quality there it becomes very hard for those outside them to perform at a high level, which I believe some of our outside backs have the capacity to do.