• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not writing anyone off, I just don't think he's beyond criticism

I don't know about you, but I roll my eyes when I hear the words "green shoots" and "improvements" after a 20 point loss to a team we almost beat the week before
Totally agree but I have been hearing this ever since Robbie Deans got the bullet. I just did a trip to the UK and speaking to old rugby mates of mine their grass roots aren't booming either. My old club now employs many SA players and they have gone from 5 teams in my day to one team plus 2nds who play a short season and a women's team.

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
Only makes sense if he's 100% committed
I just hope we figure out how to get the best out of him

Just getting shafted in for a few tests in November that fall inside the window and having to adapt to a new coach and team quickly isn't ideal like in 2021 and 2022 ideally find a way to use him throughout the whole year to get the most out of him, at his best he's probably one of our few world class players

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm not writing anyone off, I just don't think he's beyond criticism

I don't know about you, but I roll my eyes when I hear the words "green shoots" and "improvements" after a 20 point loss to a team we almost beat the week before
That's pretty normal for us, or vice versa. I'm not saying it should be, but I'm not judging the coach on it. FWIW I think it's pretty clear that Schmidt's coaching brief is all about the Lions tour in 2025, sure we shouldn't normally accept as much collateral damage on the way there but we were pretty much at an all time low so anything resembling a climb out of the hole is a win at the moment. We will get a better idea how he is tracking on the tour, as his strategy and selections are all about countering how those teams play.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's pretty normal for us, or vice versa. I'm not saying it should be, but I'm not judging the coach on it. FWIW I think it's pretty clear that Schmidt's coaching brief is all about the Lions tour in 2025, sure we shouldn't normally accept as much collateral damage on the way there but we were pretty much at an all time low so anything resembling a climb out of the hole is a win at the moment. We will get a better idea how he is tracking on the tour, as his strategy and selections are all about countering how those teams play.
I’ll judge him on it as he’s genuinely a good coach and it’s his job to change it

He deserves more time but if we dish up the same on the end of year tour that we did in the Rugby Championship it would be a huge disappointment

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
I’ll judge him on it as he’s genuinely a good coach and it’s his job to change it

He deserves more time but if we dish up the same on the end of year tour that we did in the Rugby Championship it would be a huge disappointment
We should beat Wales as they're 11th, haven't won a test in 12 months and we beat them twice earlier this year but playing in Cardiff will be a lot harder and Ireland and England away are realistically probably going to be too god for us

For me, the game that will determine whether this tour is a pass/fail is whether we beat Scotland and thus go 1-3 or 2-2 since Scotland are probably slightly better than us righty now but both teams are quite evenly matched

dru

David Wilson (68)
Can't see that at all.
I think it's bizarre of you to be writing Schmidt off in his first year as coach. This Wallaby team have had almost 20 years of an unbroken slide down the ladder.

Still, I'm less impressed with Schmidt at this stage, c/f Rennie at the same point. Of course we fucked that one up with Eddie koolaid.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
We should beat Wales as they're 11th, haven't won a test in 12 months and we beat them twice earlier this year but playing in Cardiff will be a lot harder and Ireland and England away are realistically probably going to be too god for us

For me, the game that will determine whether this tour is a pass/fail is whether we beat Scotland and thus go 1-3 or 2-2 since Scotland are probably slightly better than us righty now but both teams are quite evenly matched
Are England that good? Sure Ireland will be a tall task, but the others are all winnable games for a supposed world class coach that has had a fair amount of time with the players now

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
Are England that good? Sure Ireland will be a tall task, but the others are all winnable games for a supposed world class coach that has had a fair amount of time with the players now
I don't see us having a good chance of beating England over there

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Doran has Edmed in the main 34-man squad today, along with possibly Skelton and Kerevi.

Sounds like there will be quite a lot of movement with games outside the window, children being born and injuries etc

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
Happy for Edmed. Bit weird though, Schmidt barely gave Donaldson or Lynagh a chance with through his persistence with Noah
It's likely that whoever drops out will get more game time over those first two weeks with them running the show for Australia A. Big question will be how much Schmidt uses Edmed (if he ends up in the top squad, Christy's article said it was looking likely, not locked in) and whether or not he stays after the A squad goes home or if he's knocked back out after good performances from the A squad.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't think they are that good but they are currently better than us. They will do the basics well and being at home aim to break us over the last 20 minutes. Keep it within a try and who knows....

Happy for Edmed. Bit weird though, Schmidt barely gave Donaldson or Lynagh a chance with through his persistence with Noah
Tells me he doesn't have much regard for either Donaldson or Lynagh at this stage so he's going with the steady hand who hasn't shit the bed yet. I reckon he wants to see Edmed at training. They gauge a lot there and see a lot more of them than we do just in games.

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Doran has Edmed in the main 34-man squad today, along with possibly Skelton and Kerevi.

Sounds like there will be quite a lot of movement with games outside the window, children being born and injuries etc
Noice.

I thought they were going to do 36 and 28 (for that 64 total)

edit. butttt now I've read the article so never mind!

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon he is happy with Donaldson as the reserve, and doesn't rate Lynagh at this stage (although this may be just my bias because I don't think Lynagh is fast enough, strong enough or physical enough for test rugby at this stage)

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon he is happy with Donaldson as the reserve, and doesn't rate Lynagh at this stage (although this may be just my bias because I don't think Lynagh is fast enough, strong enough or physical enough for test rugby at this stage)
He's useful as he can cover 10, 15. Is a guy like Stewart more useful? Either way it's picking between guys who aren't going to spin a Test on it's head.

With you on Lynagh at this stage. He looks 2-3 seasons off really but he gets a crack because there isn't much better in front of him... Currently he's Bryce Hegarty with a famous surname right now but can he become a George Ford Type? I hope so. The Reds have the strongest squad in the country next year so he will get a great chance to grow and play behind a good pack.

scrans21

Ted Fahey (11)
I don't hate the idea of Edmed coming off the bench if he can carry some of his attacking skill from NPC over to international. I'd still be starting Lolesio though for the purposes of cohesion. Ideally my backline for the end of year tour would be:

9. McDermott
10. Lolesio
11. Pietsch/Sua'ali'i
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright

21. Gordon
22. Edmed
23. Pietsch/Sua'ali'i