• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah, that was a troll.
From Eddie? Huh? He's definitely in the mix

In the meantime, Jones pumped up the tyres of Arnold's equally large twin Richie, who is yet to pull on a gold jumper.

"He's a massively tough player," Jones said.

"Toulouse build their pack around Richie Arnold. I went and met the coach of Toulouse (Ugo Mola) and we had a chat about him and what he brings to their team and his development as a player.

"He's a very young player by playing experience and training experience.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I mean, maybe. Be pretty surprising for EJ (Eddie Jones) to take up a valuable RWC & overseas player slot with an uncapped player in a position where we have great depth locally.

I also just don't trust a single vibration that exits that mans body.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't really agree with have great depth locally at all. Frost is our only certainty. Phillip and Rodda would be the next best but obviously injured right now and doubts whether they can recover and return to max form in time.

If I had to guess, Frost and Skelton are certainties. The next two will come from Rodda, Arnold and Phillip.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH any ideas about forwards? As they are a far more important part of the equation.

After selecting 14 backs I've got space for 19 forwards.

Prop: Slipper, Bell, Robertson, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Fa'amausili
Hooker: Porecki, Lonergan, Uelese
Lock: Frost, Skelton, Neville, Swain
Backrow: Holloway, Hanigan, Hooper, Samu, Gleeson, Valetini

Lock is the most open with Rodda and Philip a chance to compete for spots if they make a successful return.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Lock is the most open with Rodda and Philip a chance to compete for spots if they make a successful return.

Agree with most of this, just reckon Swain is going to have a massive back half to staying in front of inj players coming back & a couple of bolters having a good season. EJ (Eddie Jones) seems to love Leota if he gets on the park dont discount him

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) seems to love Leota if he gets on the park dont discount him

Leota would push out Hanigan if he makes a successful return. I agree that he is pretty likely to make it if fit.

Some players returning from serious injury could be the victim of there being too many players in that same situation even if they are in totally different positions.

I think there will be hesitation to carry too many players who haven't been able to play much rugby before the RWC. We've got Bell, Tupou, Philip, Rodda, Leota, Cooper and Kerevi all in that boat (and I've probably missed some).

I reckon someone like Matt Philip is more likely to miss out on the basis of the alternative (say Cadeyrn Neville) being pretty similar in quality because you want to try and maintain more continuity in your squad with more rugby under their belts before the cup.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
its a once in a lifetime thing, France, Japan, USA will all be there in 2026
MS the issue is that these guys don't know how long they have got on the gravy train. They are all only one bad injury away from forced retirement. If I was in their shoes it may well be 'bird in the hand'. There again as a young man, I was stupid enough to do things in rugby that didn't help my income.
There's a guy in my area who played one game for the wallabies, destroyed his knee and never played again. I'm sure he would not be alone.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
MS the issue is that these guys don't know how long they have got on the gravy train. They are all only one bad injury away from forced retirement. If I was in their shoes it may well be 'bird in the hand'. There again as a young man, I was stupid enough to do things in rugby that didn't help my income.
There's a guy in my area who played one game for the wallabies, destroyed his knee and never played again. I'm sure he would not be alone.
Norton-Knight? Eto Nabuli?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

If it was offered to me i'd take 1 yr like 'Philip has done before' to come back & play in a Lions series. Look at Goog Harrison, made a career outside of footy by winning 1 line out.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

BH, thanks a lot for this as it gives me a basis to refine my thoughts.
Not sure about Slipper or Robertson. One thing Jones is OK at is selecting big capable props and I suspect Talakai will come into focus as he seems to be going well. The other player I suspect may get a look in is Wright as a big 7 finisher and Hooper backup. Don't think Gleeson will get a start as he seems to become fatigued by the end of 30 mins. Not sure about Samu but he is an excellent finisher.
One thing your picks do is simulate what I have noticed about Jones and that is a great reluctance to try new players and your picks could be spot on due to this (which I think is one of his weaknesses).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If it was offered to me i'd take 1 yr like 'Philip has done before' to come back & play in a Lions series. Look at Goog Harrison, made a career outside of footy by winning 1 line out.

It was the most iconic moment of his career but he also played a lot of pro rugby before and afterwards (particularly after).

The issue with a bunch of these guys will be that the differential in income of going overseas vs staying here and competing for a spot could be very large.

Where will Philip aged 30 and Neville aged 35 sit on the Rugby Australia pecking order for contracts in 2024 onwards? Neville surely doesn't get anything and Philip could be the 4th most important domestic lock for the Wallabies locally (or there abouts). That position on the pecking order also has a big impact on whether they are actually likely to play in a Lions series.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
It was the most iconic moment of his career but he also played a lot of pro rugby before and afterwards (particularly after).

The issue with a bunch of these guys will be that the differential in income of going overseas vs staying here and competing for a spot could be very large.

Where will Philip aged 30 and Neville aged 35 sit on the Rugby Australia pecking order for contracts in 2024 onwards? Neville surely doesn't get anything and Philip could be the 4th most important domestic lock for the Wallabies locally (or there abouts). That position on the pecking order also has a big impact on whether they are actually likely to play in a Lions series.

all i'm saying is if it was me i'd try & hope someone is dumb enough to pay me 500k+ as a 36yo come 2026

I like goog & he got everything out of himself I was more saying he will for ever be remembered for that awesome steal than when he was at the tahs & in france

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One thing your picks do is simulate what I have noticed about Jones and that is a great reluctance to try new players and your picks could be spot on due to this (which I think is one of his weaknesses).

We literally have four test matches before a RWC squad is picked. There's no time for experimentation or trying to blood new players who you don't think are quite ready yet.

It isn't an Eddie Jones thing.

In 2019 we debuted Isi Naisarani who was part of the RWC squad but he would have debuted earlier if he'd been eligible. Jordan Petaia was picked in the RWC squad and debuted there but he was an unusual case in that he'd had a bunch of injuries but wasn't really a core player then either.

In 2015 we didn't take anyone to the RWC who made their debut in 2015.

In 2011 we took Nick Phipps to the RWC who made his debut in 2011. He was our third string halfback.

It's a somewhat unusual situation given we have a new coach in a RWC year but I don't think we'll see the sort of turnover you'd generally see with a new coach. That will happen next year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I like goog & he got everything out of himself I was more saying he will for ever be remembered for that awesome steal than when he was at the tahs & in france

Sure, but I don't think he has a career in rugby media now because of that lineout steal. It's the 15 years of pro rugby he played around the world.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yeah, Harrison was in good test form in 2003-2004...

Leading into the 2003 RWC he had Sharpe, Giffen and Vickerman ahead of him, but was the starting lock by the end of the pool stages and hang onto that starting spot the following year until he left.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

The likely squad is firming up isn't it. Fitness and injuries allowing, there's really only a couple of spots still in contention.

Like Qwerty, I like Gibbon in the front row in Tom Robertson's place, but not much between them. I think you've nailed the hookers. Unlike others here, I think Uelese has been more impressive than Mafi over recent weeks. Mafi has missed some easy tackles lately and seems to run out of gas early in games. No debate over the locks. In the back row, I would have Liam Wright in preference to Ned Hanigan. Not only do I think he's a better player, but he's almost essential in the 7 spot when Skelton is on the ground. Assuming Frost and Valetini have the No 5 and No 8 jerseys, then 2 lineout options are needed in 6 and 7 imo. Wright offers that option at 7 and like Hanigan has the versatility to also play 6 and 8 when needed. Holloway at 6.

If Leota is the taken, then I think Jed Holloway moves to lock (at the expense of Darcy Swain) and Rob joins the backrow.