• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
What a pity! Who else they asked?
No idea, just know he declined as he’s with the Raiders at present. Think Hodgson has worked with him before and has some experience with rugby. Which, given the short turn around until the World Cup could be a factor.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
No idea, just know he declined as he’s with the Raiders at present. Think Hodgson has worked with him before and has some experience with rugby. Which, given the short turn around until the World Cup could be a factor.
He joined Eddie's staff for the 2022 EOYT where England only beat Japan. Actually those performances were one of the reasons why he didn't continue there lol

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
This is a legitimate question, because I would like to know from those who do. Is rugby growing at grass roots level in Perth and Melbourne? I only ask because I have a few friends in Melbourne who say no one gives a toss about rugby or NRL as it is still AFL central…. and the Super round in Melbourne next week.. would many locals go or is it more a boozy weekend away for Brisbane, Sydney and Canberra people? Again, I would like to know if we are growing the game locally in Rebel and Force country because I heard Eddie say Australian rugby was best when we had only 3 Franchises?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is a legitimate question, because I would like to know from those who do. Is rugby growing at grass roots level in Perth and Melbourne? I only ask because I have a few friends in Melbourne who say no one gives a toss about rugby or NRL as it is still AFL central…. and the Super round in Melbourne next week.. would many locals go or is it more a boozy weekend away for Brisbane, Sydney and Canberra people? Again, I would like to know if we are growing the game locally in Rebel and Force country because I heard Eddie say Australian rugby was best when we had only 3 Franchises?
Hard to say, there are more junior clubs than when I played but I hear senior numbers are struggling a bit so I don’t know

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
Hodgson missed the finals each year with the Wests Tigers as assistant & missed the finals both years with Hull FC as head coach...

Whatever Eddie's selection criteria for his assistants is, it certainly doesn't include a distinguished history of on-field coaching success!
I understand the push for a new direction, but this appointment is a bit weird.

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
People are cemented onto their love of AFL - change will be slow and generational.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
This is a legitimate question, because I would like to know from those who do. Is rugby growing at grass roots level in Perth and Melbourne? I only ask because I have a few friends in Melbourne who say no one gives a toss about rugby or NRL as it is still AFL central….
The few Victorians I know are AFL mad supporters but according some numbers in social media, Melbourne Storm is a successful business plan over there.

They currently has +300k followers in IG, more followers than traditional AFL teams like Collingwood or Carlton.

Just to put it in perspective. According IG followers:

Storm 325k
Collingwood 298k
Carlton 241k
Rebels 58k

With this I don't say that Storm is the most popular sport team there but they have grown consistenly in the last years with good performances and winner teams. Imagine how good would be the Rebels if they have 200k followers. I mean, there's no an Aussie Super Rugby team who has 200k followers there. The most popular is Brumbies with 121k

20230227-083050.jpg

20230227-083024.jpg

20230227-083323.jpg

20230227-084820.jpg

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
Would storms following also be attributed to their success. The brand has a strong connection to success, which brings followers. Plus Melbourne get all their Melbourne fans, but sydney NRL fans, but not many in sydney are following Carlton.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
T

I think I have worded it poorly sorry.
Basically they get extra followers because they are successful plus they get people from Melbourne and sydney nrl fans following.
I don't think so. NSW is a crowded NRL market. Most of the supporters have some reason to follow one of the 10 professional teams. Maybe Storm has many followers in the countryside? The deep countryside.

I heard that the difference between AFL and NRL followers is in the countryside where AFL have more loyalty. Apparently the farmers hunt crocodiles and watch AFL in their spare time.

I have not idea, I have to ask to a friend who lives in Port Douglas

Last edited:

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
Instagram followers is not necessarily a good metric as you can buy IG followers to boost your numbers.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Instagram followers is not necessarily a good metric as you can buy IG followers to boost your numbers.
Yeah but is like steroids and the weight of players. Eventually all lie, all buy boosters, take steroids and increase their weights. Finally the numbers hold up a tendency

I dont believe in the theory that these are bad and these are good. For me, either they are all bad or they are all good. If Storm bought some trolls to grow their numbers, Rebels too.

You can't deny Storm have created a winning environment, creating some legends in their code like Billy Slater or Cameron Smith, winning 4 premiership titles and being runner-ups in 4 times

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I don't think so. NSW is a crowded NRL market. Most of the supporters have some reason to follow one of the 10 professional teams. Maybe Storm has many followers in the countryside? The deep countryside.

I heard that the difference between AFL and NRL followers is in the countryside where AFL have more loyalty. Apparently the farmers hunt crocodiles and watch AFL in their spare time.

I have not idea, I have to ask to a friend who lives in Port Douglas
I think a fair few Queenslanders follow the Strom with there massive link to the Maroons

Reactions: dru

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I think a fair few Queenslanders follow the Strom with there massive link to the Maroons
It makes sense. Some of the Storm legends were poached in QLD. Something that Rebels tried to do unsucessfully

Now with the inclussion of Dolphins there are 4 professional teams in the state. A more crowded market. Storm gonna lose some followers there

Last edited:

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
It makes sense. Some of the Storm legends were poach in QLD. Something that Rebels tried to do unsucessfully

Now with the inclussion of Dolphins there are 4 professional teams in the state. A more crowded market. Storm gonna lose some followers there
Probably not fickle fans love a winner, they won't change much not in the short term

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
He joined Eddie's staff for the 2022 EOYT where England only beat Japan. Actually those performances were one of the reasons why he didn't continue there lol
Fair enough. It’s just a short turn around and since EJ (Eddie Jones) just got the job, there can’t be as many candidates as if he’d taken the job last year.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The few Victorians I know are AFL mad supporters but according some numbers in social media, Melbourne Storm is a successful business plan over there.

They currently has +300k followers in IG, more followers than traditional AFL teams like Collingwood or Carlton.

Just to put it in perspective. According IG followers:

Storm 325k
Collingwood 298k
Carlton 241k
Rebels 58k

With this I don't say that Storm is the most popular sport team there but they have grown consistenly in the last years with good performances and winner teams. Imagine how good would be the Rebels if they have 200k followers. I mean, there's no an Aussie Super Rugby team who has 200k followers there. The most popular is Brumbies with 121k

20230227-083050.jpg

20230227-083024.jpg

20230227-083323.jpg

20230227-084820.jpg
People jump on the Storm as soon as their AFL team is out of the finals race. Because the Storm win every week and people like a winner. Most have no clue about the game of league

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
So to clarify my question in relation to home grown future Wallabies from Perth or Melbourne, are the juniors taking up the game with increased clubs or more teams playing in schools? I don’t know the answer that’s why I’m asking. People can follow the Rebels or Force because of the players coming from their home states but that’s not growing the game. I think that’s what Eddie was referring to.