• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Amazing what a waste of rugby brain power. If I was Rennie I would invite him into camp for some pointers and suggestions.
About the smartest rugby player we ever produced.
Doesn't mean he can impart wisdom, let's see how he does coaching first

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why? That might be the level he feels comfortable coaching at. Who says a player has to go straight into coaching a national or super side?
I'm reminded of Topo being ignored when he offered to help our pack when we were in as deep shit as we are today,. I am not suggesting bringing him in to coach but just to talk with the back row and ask what's going well and what ain't.
Why jump on assumptions - as you may well know - 'assumptions are the standpoint of fools'.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Doesn't mean he can impart wisdom, let's see how he does coaching first
FP, Ditto above. I am sure he can offer some pointers to our backrow after a very long career. We seem to ignore retired players and knowledge disappears over time. I cannot imagine anyone who knows more about backrow play than he does. Always struck me as fairly erudite.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Callan just played Aus A.
Lawson is with the 7s now.
Tafa gone to Japan (huge loss IMO).
Reilly in the NRL now.
Robertson is at the Force now.
Ralston gone to Connacht.
McDonald gone to Ulster.
Joe Cotton gone to Bristol.

A few others been part of Super wider squads.

It's an amazing squad on paper.

Tafa is 194cm, 110kg (prob bigger now). He's the type of 6 the Wallabies could use right now. Such a shame when he left, he was looking good for the Tahs off the bench in a couple games.
If I'm not mistaken Pat Tafa partnered (what'sisname now with the Reds) in the second row at Norths and probably was the pick of the two.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vest, yeah did play for Norths a bit don’t recall if he was ever at lock though, might’ve been but they had Nick Palmer and Hugh Sinclair as well. He was a wrecking ball off the bench. RA should really try get him home.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
ced27ade2f77483da7d106b832715d73_l.jpeg

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
It is always about balance, you can't start a pack of all impact players and you can't start a side that "lacks impact"

You generally need both, you need players that are going to break that advantage line and some who turn up and do the clean outs (play the role that allows others to shine)

and then you have the worldies who can do it all - we don't have them except maybe Koro & Hooper. so while we continue the search for a world class pack, we make compromises and try to get some version of balance
Totally agree! We all have ideas about what you want from each position in the forward pack. The reality is you need the players to meld into a functional pack. You can’t have a team of high impact ball runners who have awesome highlight reels , someone needs to win them the ball and defend.

It’s all about picking a balanced team , particularly when it comes to 1-8 and 16-20. So please let’s pick our impact players first and then pick a pack , including reserves, to function around them.

Hiow many are required? Maybe three at most? If you have Valetini and Hooper/McReight in your backrow does your #6 ( or #8 depending on where you put Valetini) also need to be high impact? Or a genuine lineout option who gets through a tonne of work in both attacking and defensive rucks/mauls ?

For what it’s worth , I actually think our forward pack lacks balance primarily because our locks aren’t matching it with what the top teams are putting out there. We are lacking impact in jerseys 4&5 and are trying to pick a backrow that compensates for this. They just aren’t shifting enough bodies in the middle of the field , inaccuracies at the breakdown, or just being ineffective there and lack of a strong ball carrier put more pressure on those around them. You need to do more than win a lineout to be a Test lock, or at least in a top four International team you do.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
WTF

Assume Swain in but I wouldn't rule out Carter, Douglas, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Simmons, Arnold (Richie) or Staniforth?

Swain still has 2 matches to go and Skelton unavailable for 2 as well.

Douglas probably most likely overseas.

Last edited: