• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Very hard to find anyone right now. If, and it's a big if, Mark Nawaqanitawase continues to develop from his improvements this year, he might get in the mix next year - big, useful under the ball. 12 months ago I wouldn't have said it, but he made some big steps this year. He has the physical attributes at least. He is closer to a "like" player than others, I think. Of course, Wright might get smarter with how he plays and become less card-worthy too. Has plenty of skills.

Very surprised that Vunivalu's name is conspicuous by its absence.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Very surprised that Vunivalu's name is conspicuous by its absence.
He's already in the squad mix, so they know what he can and cannot do, I would guess - I was looking at potential options with some similar skillset to Wright outside it for down the track (next year maybe), as I think I made clear in my post. I certainly was not advocating for Nawaqanitawase now.
I kind of thought the "if", "big if" and use of italics on "might" were clues to all that. ;)

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is it my imagination or do the other players not trust Petaia? It seems as a winger he gets fewer final passes thrown to him than any winger I can remember. I thought that Kellaway took a big risk in his second try but it paid off whilst Petaia was unmarked outside.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Is it my imagination or do the other players not trust Petaia? It seems as a winger he gets fewer final passes thrown to him than any winger I can remember. I thought that Kellaway took a big risk in his second try but it paid off whilst Petaia was unmarked outside.

You may be overthinking things. Hope so.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
But that was consistent with Kellaway's non-try too. Wright outside him unmarked. Unfortunately, the outcome then wasn't as good as one later in the game. Looks to be more on Andrew Kellaway to me rather than indicative of any reluctance aimed specifically at Petaia. My concern about Jordan is that he doesn't seem to get himself involved in the game as much as other wingers do. Apart from one 10m run with the ball, he was anonymous in his time on the ground this test match. That seems to be consistent with him.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kellaway took the right options both times, the extra pass is riskier imo. Just freakish not to get it down on the first attempt.
True in hindsight Qwerty but we seem to have more than enough players wanting to win it on their own. Hunter is another example. I think Petaia is not aggressive enough in calling for the pass and this shows up in Brumby Runner's assessment of his lack of involvement. I think he still acts like a kid in a man's world.
PS I think Kellaway is one of a few players essential for the RWC campaign.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder if he genuinely thought he got the ball down or he was just acting for the ref/TMO. I think if he fought to get the ball down after the initial attempt he probably could have.
Viking: From watching his reaction and my unconsidered opinion, I am sure he thought he had grounded it. Not to say any rugby player with ball in hand and over the line is not prone to strutting on the stage of life!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

I actually thought it was brilliant play from AK (Andrew Kellaway), he knew he was 2 on 1 & held the ball until BB had turned his back just knew he couldnt be beat from there. If BB plants his feet & commits in the tackle AK (Andrew Kellaway) just pops is out to JP & he get the 5 points.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
My concern about Jordan is that he doesn't seem to get himself involved in the game as much as other wingers do. Apart from one 10m run with the ball, he was anonymous in his time on the ground this test match. That seems to be consistent with him.
Looking through the stats for the TRC, his stats for 'involvements' are comparable to Wrights's work off the wing.

What is obvious though is that Koroibete has an average work rate far superior to both Wright and Petaia and we're going to miss him on the NH tour.